Random NHL comments/thoughts

lordstanley

Just now, buddha said:

why do you want to trade kane?  he's one of our best players.  thryre trying to make the playoffs this year.  unless they have a disastrous february like they had a disastrous december, i dont see them dealing kane or ghost.

but im still holding out for our unicorn scenario where we trade them and then deal assets for stars!  dare to dream!  84lives for GM!  🙂

Age and hip.

And if Yzerman could ever swing that Trade Machine trade...

I guess... put in certain terms:

I think you guys may be in "MUST MAKE the PLAYOFFS NOW!" mode...

Which I get... it's been a long while and everyone would like to see the team get back into the playoffs like... right now.

I mean... I would too...

But I think I am looking more long-term, AND on the playoffs, and to have a stronger playoff-team than what it looks like we have this year... But it's mainly the longer-term outlook that is driving me...

Based on that:

1) I see pending FA's, problem contracts tied to aging or underperforming players (particularly Chiarot and Husso), and other assorted sundries as usable assets to try to improve the future of the team. That includes flawed players (I think a guy like Ghost is flawed... great power play guy, but **** on defense) who I would love to upgrade. And if we gain a player, I think that makes others expendable: Just to use Hanifan as an example: If we get him, with a 6-year extension... then who are our top LH'ed D'men? Hanifan - paired with Seider. Edvinsson - he's the highest future. Walman - best all-around current NHL'er. And pick a 4th guy: Maatta? Chiarot? Albert Johansson down in Grand Rapids as another futures guy with offense that may be a lighter version of Ghost but he's looking more responsible on D? Wallinder and Buium are further away... but the key point here is that after the top 4, EVERYONE else after that is tradable. Go ahead and pick Chiarot if you wish.. but I'm going to select Maatta, just to use as an example. It means that I am willing to trade Chiarot, Johansson, Wallinder & Ghost. I'm willing to trade anyone who is not "tied down". We MAY be outbid for a Lindholm, or a  Hanifan... but I'm not changing the overriding philosophy that I'm running on. If we're outbid, so be it. Also... an overpay for a Ghost just adds more tradable ammunition to send over for a Hanifan IMO. And Hanifan is an upgrade over Ghost... IMO.

2) A couple of key things to me are: (A) Yzerman is going to want to build the BEST playoff-team that he can. And that may include a Larionov or Shanahan or other type trade. It doesn't have to be "last piece" either... I view it more as just adding another "building block", using any method necessary to do so (within the constraints of the Cap... I am aware of that...). Also, (B) the team is going to have more assets than are usable at the NHL level. Not all these prospects are going to make it, obviously... but he's going to have to "manage" all of these assets, and that includes letting go of guys in trades in order to add the right pieces to build that "high-level" playoff team. IMO: He's in that position, right now, to start making those decisions.

I believe that there are players out there that better than what we currently have, and make us a stronger playoff-level team.

I'm looking for Yzerman to start looking for more of a "high-impact" deal than a "plug a leak" type of deal. Which, he's been really good at.

I'm just looking for the next step...

50 minutes ago, buddha said:

all of us with our galaxy brain ideas of trading ghost and kane and then trading FOR another star isnt going to happen.  the world doesnt work like us working our trade machines on espn.

But the two most likely outcomes are too depressing to talk about - which are:

1) nothing happens. Boring.   'nuf said about that.

2) Yzerman is a major seller again and possibly bye-bye playoffs.  

Granted it doesn't seem like after working so hard toward making the playoff that Yzerman would pull the plug when they are so close - but if he really wants Stanley Cups, just making the playoffs may not be enough for him to be willing to stand pat with this team.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

But the two most likely outcomes are too depressing to talk about - which are:

1) nothing happens. Boring.   'nuf said about that.

2) Yzerman is a major seller again and possibly bye-bye playoffs.  

Granted it doesn't seem like after working so hard toward making the playoff that Yzerman would pull the plug when they are so close - but if he really wants Stanley Cups, just making the playoffs may not be enough for him to be willing to stand pat with this team.

i would argue that he's building the organization the only way you can without lottery luck: depth and youth.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a neat local story that is starting to get some league-wide attention. An undrafted player from the Vancouver suburb of Surrey has cracked the Canucks' lineup. He's a Sikh. born to parents who emigrated from Punjab. For years now Hockey Night in Canada has broadcast Saturday game in Punjab on an alternate station.

https://www.northdeltareporter.com/sports/huge-surrey-pride-for-bains-canucks-debut-as-nhls-4th-punjabi-roots-player-7322466

What a week it’s been for Surrey’s Arshdeep Bains, who played his first few games with the Vancouver Canucks and became just the fourth player with Punjabi roots to skate in the National Hockey League.

A rookie forward, Bains made his NHL debut in Colorado on Tuesday, Feb. 20, played again in Seattle two nights later, then helped the Canucks to a comeback 3-2 win over rival Boston Bruins in Vancouver on Saturday.

At Rogers Arena, dozens of family members and friends watched Bains play on home ice for the first time, with a team he cheered for as a kid growing up in Surrey, where he still lives with family.

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Brady Tkachuk is not available for trade correct? Because I saw a rumor the other day that he was, then the Sens GM came out and shot it down. But like um, if he was, would you pay the piper and the very high cost it would take to get him?

depends on the cost.

theyre about to run into some cap concerns next year if they traded for tkachuk.

with that said, he could be their brendan shanahan.

also, i very much doubt ottawa would trade him to detroit.

30 minutes ago, buddha said:

depends on the cost.

theyre about to run into some cap concerns next year if they traded for tkachuk.

with that said, he could be their brendan shanahan.

also, i very much doubt ottawa would trade him to detroit.

It seems pointless to discuss at this point given Ottawa's GM came out and said they are keeping him and building around him. But if we could have had him for the price of only draft picks and a prospect I'd probably make the trade. It's the kind of move, as you said, that make you a contender.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

This was what I was afraid of. Devils could get a bump now.

https://www.nhl.com/news/lindy-ruff-fired-by-new-jersey-devils

Lindy Ruff was fired as coach of the New Jersey Devils on Monday.

Associate coach Travis Green was named as his replacement. He will debut when the Devils host the Florida Panthers on Tuesday (7 p.m. ET; BSFL, MSG).

The Devils (30-27-4) are eight points behind the Detroit Red Wings and Tampa Bay Lightning, who are tied for the first wild card into the Stanley Cup Playoffs from the Eastern Conference. New Jersey has a .484 points percentage (14-15-2) at home, which is 26th in the NHL.

The only way that Tarasenko becomes a factor is if the Florida Panthers have figured out how to master time travel.   

Odds are very high that he gets hurt in the next two weeks.  He’s due.