Random NHL comments/thoughts

lordstanley

On 3/10/2024 at 3:33 PM, GoBlue23 said:

The Wild just pulled the goalie in OT and ended up getting the winning goal.   

Weird to do that with almost a quarter of a season to go. Final weekend, I’d maybe get it. But even then, a shootout is going to give you better odds of winning than a 4 on 3 I think. 

Posted (edited)

Another former NHL enforcer with CTE issues dies relatively young.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/39766825/former-nhl-winger-chris-simon-dies-age-52

Former NHL enforcer Chris Simon has died at 52. His family confirmed he died by suicide in a statement released Tuesday night.

"The family strongly believes and witnessed firsthand, that Chris struggled immensely from CTE which unfortunately resulted in his death," the statement, provided by Simon's former agent, Paul Theofanous, on behalf of Simon's family, read.

"We are grieving with the loss of our son, brother, father, partner, teammate and friend. The entire Wawa community is sharing in our grief. We will not be releasing any further details at this time and ask for privacy during this very difficult time. We appreciate everyone who shares in our tragic loss."

Simon was known for his physicality in a career that saw him play for seven franchises. A member of the Quebec Nordiques, he was part of the team that relocated to Denver and helped the Avalanche win their first Stanley Cup in franchise history during the 1995-96 season.

Edited by lordstanley

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Coyotes to Salt Lake City. I feel bad for the fanbase, those playoff white outs (where a ton of Wings fans would show up) back in the day were killer atmospheres.

But they needed to get the hell out of that college arena. It's an embarrassment to the league.

It just never quite worked.    Seems like there was a lot of serious anger at politicians for the Diamondbacks getting a publicly-funded stadium and that just wasn't likely to happen again.    They just never got it together there.   Should have never left Winnipeg.      

What will they be called

Utah Kolabs?    

Utah Magic Underwear?  

I like the Utah Barbarians, but that probably won't fly.    

Ah, doesn't matter, we'll all be dead when Putin starts a nuclear war next month anyway. 

25 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Yotes have one last home game next Wednesday and it will be emotional - for the 5,200 fans that fill the place.   

Now, who would be in line for expansion next in the NHL

Houston?

Quebec City?

Kansas City?

Milwaukee? 

San Diego?

Fargo? 

Montpelier? 

Toronto 2/Hamilton should be the top choice.   These great people deserve a real opportunity to see a Stanley Cup someday.   

55 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It just never quite worked.    Seems like there was a lot of serious anger at politicians for the Diamondbacks getting a publicly-funded stadium and that just wasn't likely to happen again.    They just never got it together there.   Should have never left Winnipeg.      

What will they be called

Utah Kolabs?    

Utah Magic Underwear?  

I like the Utah Barbarians, but that probably won't fly.    

Ah, doesn't matter, we'll all be dead when Putin starts a nuclear war next month anyway. 

winnipeg is a strong candidate to relocate again.  its just not big enough to support an nhl franchise anymore.

53 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Yotes have one last home game next Wednesday and it will be emotional - for the 5,200 fans that fill the place.   

Houston?

Quebec City?

Kansas City?

Milwaukee? 

San Diego?

Fargo? 

Montpelier? 

the NHL likes to move into smaller, fast growing US cities early (see vegas, raleigh, and salt lake).  San Antonio/Austin could be a location.

but the lure of Houston's massive population may be too strong.  Atlanta's population and its MLS success could also come calling.  those two cities have been magnets for migration, the nhl could bet that this time it will be different because the population makeup has changed so much.

32 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Toronto 2/Hamilton should be the top choice.   These great people deserve a real opportunity to see a Stanley Cup someday.   

They're gonna get it this year when the Leafs win it all  (hey, the Lions won TWO playoff games in one season,  everything is on the table now). 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Even the people who spearheaded Quebec's new arena have pretty much given up on the NHL. Trying to get the Habs to play a couple of exhibition games there.

Teams except for the Leafs in the Greater Toronto Area don't draw well. Goes for Major Junior, AHL.

Agree that Winnipeg may not be long-term sustainable. It was a fluke they got the team back. C$ is back at US$0.73.

10 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Tons of coyotes in Utah.

They could simply...

Maintain.

The owners want a new identity.  

How about Utah Saints.    You just know that something good is gonna happen !

It would be cool to come skating out to this one.........

17 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The owners want a new identity.  

How about Utah Saints.    You just know that something good is gonna happen !

It would be cool to come skating out to this one.........

So weird to listen to that.

It sounds like something I was dancing to in the late 80's at the South Florida club scene.

But they're not Nitzer Ebb, or Front 242, or the Ministry, or Nine Inch Nails, or anything close to that, where I could pinpoint when this came out.

What's weird is...

Nice touch slicing in Kate Bush. I was also listening to her quite heavily in the late 80's...

Before switching over to Sinead O'Connor and 10,000 Maniacs and the Throwing Muses. I mostly left Kate Bush's music after switching over but would go back to a few favorites now and then. This was one of them.

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Houston?

Quebec City?

Kansas City?

Milwaukee? 

San Diego?

Fargo? 

Montpelier? 

Honestly.... I think it is Arizona lmao

28 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

So weird to listen to that.

It sounds like something I was dancing to in the late 80's at the South Florida club scene.

But they're not Nitzer Ebb, or Front 242, or the Ministry, or Nine Inch Nails, or anything close to that, where I could pinpoint when this came out.

What's weird is...

Nice touch slicing in Kate Bush. I was also listening to her quite heavily in the late 80's...

Before switching over to Sinead O'Connor and 10,000 Maniacs and the Throwing Muses. I mostly left Kate Bush's music after switching over but would go back to a few favorites now and then. This was one of them.

You don't remember that one?   I think it was 1990 or 91.  Cool that Kate gave her permission