Random NHL comments/thoughts

lordstanley

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, buddha said:

bertuzzi is in toronto for the playoffs.

Toronto isn't a sure thing for the playoffs. They've had good production from Nylander and Matthews and Marner, haven't had much games lost to injury except goalie Woll for a bit, yet they're still just a point above the Wings with a game in hand. Similar goal differential (+12 Leafs, +11 Wings). Wings have more wins in regulation (17-13) and more wins before the shootout (20-17). 

30 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Toronto isn't a sure thing for the playoffs. They've had good production from Nylander and Matthews and Marner, haven't had much games lost to injury except goalie Woll for a bit, yet they're still just a point above the Wings with a game in hand. Similar goal differential (+12 Leafs, +11 Wings). Wings have more wins in regulation (17-13) and more wins before the shootout (20-17). 

i'm not saying theyre going to make it (although i think they will), i'm saying they got bertuzzi because he is the type of player they think they need for the playoffs.  

in reality - which i wrote when they signed him - what they really need in the playoffs is defense.  which they ignored yet again.  bertuzzi is awful on defense which is why detroit let him go.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

bertuzzi is awful on defense which is why detroit let him go.

During the stretch at the end of '22 playing with Larkin I though he was an effective fore-checker - maybe their best, but not so much in his own end and not so much of anything really after that stretch.

45 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'll always remember Roy going at it with Bruce Boudreau, pounding and shaking the glass like a spoiled, angry, bratty kid. Surprised to see Patty coaching again.

I most remember when Roy was coaching in the QMJHL and he threw one of his teenaged players under the bus at a Memorial Cup press conference. 

EDIT: Found the link. From 2006. I was a bit off, it was an opposing player not a player on his own team. Still ...

https://firstdownsportspodcast.com/2020/03/06/the-most-hated-man-in-moncton-wildcats-history-the-return-of-patrick-roy/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/56655-patrick-roy-aint-no-saint

EDIT Part II:

Nope, it was also against one of his own players.

https://torontosun.com/2014/04/21/patrick-roy-is-one-of-the-worst-people-ive-met-former-goalie

“Congratulations to Patrick Roy one more time! What a class act. I’m capable of accepting blame when the hat fits…

“But to denigrate and attack me publicly for three years in addition to intimidating and humiliating (me). I’m ending my silence!”

“Patrick Roy intimidated me verbally day after day. Never came to help me. By far and away one of the worst people I’ve ever met.”

Domingue played for Roy two years ago during their major collapse in the QJMHL playoffs against Avs’ rookie phenom Nathan MacKinnon and the Halifax Mooseheads.

Roy’s Remparts were up 3-0 in the series when MacKinnon, in his rookie season with the Mooseheads at the time, helped lead a historic comeback to win the series in seven games.

Roy was asked about MacKinnon’s performance in that series the day before his NHL coaching debut on April 16.

He didn’t hold anything back when reporters asked if the collapse had to do with the dominant play of MacKinnon or just bad coaching.

“Can I say bad goaltending?” Roy joked at the time.

It appears Domingue, a Phoenix Coyotes prospect, wasn’t laughing with Patrick.

“I have a lot of respect for what he accomplished as a goaltender. But nobody knows what I lived through. Good luck to the Avalanche in the playoffs!” Domingue tweeted later on.

Peter Delmas, who also played with Domingue under Roy, supported his former goaltender.

“Can definitely back you up here Lou, not an easy task playing for Pat as a goalie,” he tweeted to Domingue.

Edited by lordstanley

So within the last 24 hours both Dillon Dube and Carter Hart have taken indefinite leaves of absence from their respective teams.  Normally it would just be a weird coincidence, but it gets weirder when you realize they're both from the Team Canada juniors team investigated for gang rape.  A few other players from the team seem to have gone dark on social media as well recently.  Could be nothing but something could be dropping here...

19 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

So within the last 24 hours both Dillon Dube and Carter Hart have taken indefinite leaves of absence from their respective teams.  Normally it would just be a weird coincidence, but it gets weirder when you realize they're both from the Team Canada juniors team investigated for gang rape.  A few other players from the team seem to have gone dark on social media as well recently.  Could be nothing but something could be dropping here...

Ahh .. we knew it was just a matter of time before we'd know the names.

As for Corey Perry, he has signed with the Oilers. Turns out he made a pass at NBC employee at a Hawks function and that was what ended it there.

Well 5 team canada players have been told to present themselves to the police in London, Ontario.  Formenton just took a leave of absence from his Swiss team (the fact he's stuck playing in Europe is not a good coincidence for him), and Foote and McLeod just took leaves from the Devils.  So we may have our five...

18 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

It can’t be Dube because the team said he was leaving for mental health issues.  It has to be a coincidence because nobody at the Flames would be so ****ing stupid to try to use the league’s mental health program as a shield from these criminal accusations, right?  

Total morons.  Heads gonna roll in Alberta over that.  They should fire the whole front office.