Anti-movies

RedRamage

I know we have a movies thread talking about good movies we saw or want to see... thought it might be fun to have a thread for talking about BAD movies we've seen.

I watched Shadow in a Clouds this weekend.  Wow was that horrible.  Seemed like it wanted to be three different movies all in one and pretty much failed at all three.  I didn't think it was going to be a great film, but thought it would be much better than it was.  Horrible... and not even in a campy way, just plain bad.

I would have literally hauled off and punched M. Night Scamalan after watching The Village were he standing in front of me when I went and saw it in theaters. I felt so duped as a movie goer watching what I thought was going to be a solid horror movie only to be swerved in the last 10 minutes to find out it was all a big ruse and it was really a socio-phycological experiment. The Village to me is one of the worst movies of all time. Scamalan lost me after his Village con and I don't watch his movies any longer.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

8 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I would have literally hauled off and punched M. Night Scamalan after watching The Village were he standing in front of me when I went and saw it in theaters. I felt so duped as a movie goer watching what I thought was going to be a solid horror movie only to be swerved in the last 10 minutes to find out it was all a big ruse and it was really a socio-phycological experiment. The Village to me is one of the worst movies of all time. Scamalan lost me after his Village con and I don't watch his movies any longer.

Wow I thought it was great! One of my all time favorites.

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Wow I thought it was great! One of my all time favorites.

Yeah... it wasn't a con at all.

It was a conservative group of people trying to hide from modern times and live like "in olden days"...

And using scary tactics to try and scare everyone into line, and away from exploring back into the modern world. I got it. It was a cool story.

I don't think tater "got it".

11 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I really liked that movie.  One of his best ones IMO.

I keep getting burned by comedy sequels. I know they are almost always terrible, and yet I convince myself to watch them. Fortunately most of them were streaming or rentals, and not paid for at a theater. These include:

Anchorman 2

Coming To America 2

Bill & Ted Face The Music

I have somewhat learned my lesson though, because I have avoided Dumb & Dumber To, Horrible Bosses 2, Clerks 2, and Zoolander 2 (among others).

26 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

It was a conservative group of people trying to hide from modern times and live like "in olden days"...

And using scary tactics to try and scare everyone into line, and away from exploring back into the modern world. I got it. It was a cool story.

To me that was the beauty of it. They pulled it off all the way down to the no fly zone. 

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

PS: Why would you punch a director for your own lack of ability to comprehend?

Why would you advertise the movie as a horror movie and then have it be something else if you weren't willfully trying to con someone. M Night Shyamalan is the movie version of a grifter. Both The Village and Lady in the Water are examples of his grifts. He and the movie studio sell the general public on the idea that they are buying a ticket to see a horror movie based on all the advertisements and then bait and switch in the movie. Hey, you thought you were going to see a horror film, just kidding, this movie is really something else. Imagine if you went to see Titanic and it ended up being a western, would you feel happy you just paid $10 for that ticket? That's part of Shyamalan's bait and switch grift.

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

You watched the trailer and discerned all that from it? Because I watched the trailer and thought it was about monsters that live in the woods and started going after people. The Village is a textbook bait and switch. It was advertised one way and you go into the movie expecting to see a horror flick and it delivers on it somewhat, until the end when it is all like "just kidding, this isn't actually a horror film." The trailer and the movie are not one in the same. One is false advertising and one is reality.

I watched Robert Eggers A24 film The Witch, a Puritan folklore movie about a witch that lives in the woods. The movie was advertised as a horror movie. Guess what we saw in the movie, a ton of creepy scenes and a witch, actually several witches. We didn't watch a 1:20:00 movie about witches only to have the last 10 minutes be about something else entirely. And you know what, I was highly satisfied with The Witch and have watched it a half dozen times since.

The Village to me would be like going to see The Witch and there isn't actually one single scene where the Witch actually appears in the movie and in the end, The Witch had nothing to do with the plot line. The Village was built up for months with trailer after trailer making it seem like it was an English folklore type horror movie about mysterious evil creatures or monsters that live in the woods and go after people. Except the movie was about none of that. Instead, the entire point of the movie was to create a big ruse at the end and swerve the audience. Um ok, you swerved us, but that doesn't mean the swerve was clever or good. I thought it was neither.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Haha 1

The Village is like his super hero movies: Unbreakable-Split-Glass.

These aren't comic-book heroes, but an attempt by M. Night to spin stories about "real people". They're not real people of course, but they are made up stories that make it seem like they are real people. Like... the Village.

Oh... the horror, the horror.

Knowing with Nicolas Cage was a really stupid movie.      

Vampire's Kiss with Nicolas Cage was a horrible movie, but completely enjoyable because he's just so bad in it. 

Sad thing is that the man has talent and when he picks the right movie, he's great.   The movie Pig won't sell a lot of tickets, but it might be the 1 for 8 when he does a good one (He plays a reclusive former chef who lives out in the woods and his truffle pig is stolen - sounds ridiculous but looks good).