December 2023 Games

lordstanley

Chiarot with a bumbling play at the Predators blueline leads to him ultimately putting the puck in front of the Wings' net right to an open Forsberg who buried it.  I feel like Chiarot has looked solid this season but man what an awful sequence.  Special shout out to Petry for trying to join Chiarot below the goalline for some reason. 

Edited by slothfacekilla

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

Chiarot with a bumbling play at the Predators blueline leads to him ultimately putting the puck in front of the Wings' net right to an open Forsberg who buried it.  I feel like Chiarot has looked solid this season but man what an awful sequence.  Special shout out to Petry for trying to join Chiarot below the goalline for some reason. 

More bumbling - I believe by Walman this time - and the Wings trail 3-2. I've been home 5 minutes. I should go outside and come back in asking for a mulligan.

The only thing you can say in terms of this year's point total vs last year's is that they are scoring goals. Defense can be improved with scheme and discipline, but lack of goal scoring means your personnel isn't cutting it. So from that standpoint the situation has more potential upside than last year. 

Also pretty unimpressed with Petry tonight. Looked slow, uninterested and gave the puck away a lot.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 hours ago, buddha said:

wtf is wrong with this team's defense?

i know kane doesnt play defense, but did he infect the whole team?

I think Lalonde has to be on the hotseat to an extent. Not hotseat as in job is in jeopardy. But hotseat as in getting criticism until he puts in a system that can gets goals against under control.

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I think Lalonde has to be on the hotseat to an extent. Not hotseat as in job is in jeopardy. But hotseat as in getting criticism until he puts in a system that can gets goals against under control.

Dumb stuff. Guys not looking - recognizing. O-zone pass to a covered point leads to breakaway, 2nd Dman goes behind the net with no forwards back yet. 

Lyon left Nyquist a ton of room on his right on the 1st  goal but Gustav got the shot up enough it probably would have gotten over Lyons pad even if he had closed it on the post.

35 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

I would forecheck the hell out of the Wings until they prove they can control the puck in their own zone and move guys out of the net front

Yeah. Half the Dmen are decent to good against a forecheck but the other half not so much. It's borderline tragic that Edvinsson isn't a RH shot. I'd love to drop Petry and/or Holl off the roster.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah. Half the Dmen are decent to good against a forecheck but the other half not so much. It's borderline tragic that Edvinsson isn't a RH shot. I'd love to drop Petry and/or Holl off the roster.

Which makes the Flames' Rasmus Andersson a trade target at the deadline (the only decent right-shot D that might be available...).

Just a thought.

11 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Not Lalonde.

All the players on the ice, D'men all included... are cheating on offense and leaving their spots/ breakaways wide open...

It was stunning to me to read the stat about us being 0-15-1 when we score fewer than 4 goals. I knew we were porous defensively this year and have had our share of goaltending concerns, but my god. Outside of acquiring talent and hoping for healthy goaltenders, I don't know how you substantially improve on that. I don't feel like their is a schematic or system change Lalonde can make that will drastically improve our defense and our ability to hold onto a lead.

Once again, all the good feelings from a decent start to the season have been completely erased this year and here I sit worried. Though this year, unlike last, I am worried not as much about scoring, as much as I am about our inability to play any stay home defense and hold onto a lead.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It was stunning to me to read the stat about us being 0-15-1 when we score fewer than 4 goals. I knew we were porous defensively this year and have had our share of goaltending concerns, but my god. Outside of acquiring talent and hoping for healthy goaltenders, I don't know how you substantially improve on that. I don't feel like their is a schematic or system change Lalonde can make that will drastically improve our defense and our ability to hold onto a lead.

Once again, all the good feelings from a decent start to the season have been completely erased this year and here I sit worried. Though this year, unlike last, I am worried not as much about scoring, as much as I am about our inability to play any stay home defense and hold onto a lead.

And like 1984 said, it's team-wide.

If the Wings were good defensively but weak offensively, you could hope to call up Kaspar if he gets rolling in GR (if), or sign a Kane like they did, or trade for someone now or at the deadline. Not sure defensive play is so easy to fix. Although a better goalie would be a start, I suppose. The Wings have 3 so-so backups, 0 starting goalie.

goalie is the biggest issue, imo.  husso hasnt worked out.  lyon and reimers were brought in as backups, you cant blame them for not being patrick roy, but husso was traded for to be the starter and is paid like a starter, and he's been bad.

if they had a good goalie they've got 4 or 5 more wins this season.

you can say that about a lot of teams (hi jersey, hi edmonton), but the wings are one of them.  goalies are weird, but the wings havent had goalie luck since bernier.