Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

Hell yes, love this move. Our run defense should be dominate next year assuming everyone stays healthy. We took a strength and made it stronger. We still need an edge rusher and someone to get after the QB with sustained pressure. But this move is a nice deal, making a strength of this team even stronger.

I just remember how much better the Lions defense got when they acquired Snacks. It wasn't just the run defense but the entire defense got better. Not everyone on the line needs to be an elite pass rusher. Reader will help in the pass rush by consuming blocks which will free up McNeil and the linebackers. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

From the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/5318482/2024/03/14/nfl-free-agent-rankings-tracker/

(Fuller was ranked 70th best FA this offseason by the Athletic... the reason why): Fuller's speed has declined, but his anticipation and instincts help offset that. Even so, he's approaching 30 and has some knee concerns, making his market a bit murky. With Benjamin St-Juste and Emmanuel Forbes around, he doesn't seem likely to return to Washington, which will miss his leadership. — Ben Standig

I was looking at expected contracts for several players yesterday and swore I saw Fuller at around 14 million per year for 2-3 years.  Just went back and confirmed that was correct, but it noted only about 17 million guaranteed.   He could potentially be getting close to the same in guaranteed money and still have a chance at another decent contract at age 32.

Reader is a big add literally and figuratively. If you look at his sack numbers you'd think "what's the big deal" but his pressure rate is on the high end for DTs and he frees up other guys with his ability to take on double teams, not to mention fortifying the run defense even further. Health is a concern but if healthy, he's a game changer for this defense. Contract is great, to state the obvious.

Now, I'd like to see a receiver add (I still think Reynolds re-signs) and a guard although that'll likely be a draft add.

Edited by NYLion

36 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

This is probably my favorite move so far. He's basically a poor man's version of Snacks Harrison. He's a man eater who can draw double teams which can free up McNeil for the pass rush. He'll likely be subbed on 3rd and passing downs. Definite improvement over Benito Jones and Buggs. 

Better than Snacks. Higher QB pressure rate.

6 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Now, I'd like to see a receiver add (I still think Reynolds re-signs) and a guard although that'll likely be a draft add.

I'd really like to see a guard signed before the draft because I really don't think Holmes drafts for need. I suspect it plays some part in his picks, but only a small part. If there's a RB at 29 that is head and shoulders above everyone else on their board, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Holmes draft him.

I think McNeil can really blossom and learn a lot with Reader at his side. I think he also by default makes the pass rush better by taking away the run and forcing teams to throw it more often. He's the ultimate space eating dude it seems. Love this signing and these are the moves I want Brad to go out and make.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I'd really like to see a guard signed before the draft because I really don't think Holmes drafts for need. I suspect it plays some part in his picks, but only a small part. If there's a RB at 29 that is head and shoulders above everyone else on their board, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Holmes draft him.

Bunch of borderline veteran  starter/backup guards still out there. I imagine they will sign one of em

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

What? What are those 4 or 5 games? I can think of Chicago but they also should have won against Dallas and probably Seattle. 

There were a bunch of games where our secondary got torched and teams would march down the field to the red zone. Luckily our Linebackers played OUT OF THEIR MINDS last year and saved the day. If Anzelone didn't have a career year last year, we lose a bunch of those games. Like I said, I'll be happy if we repeat with 12 wins. 

Thank the heavens we finally have a competent GM.... He's assembling another good team fixing the glaring holes. I still want them to trade back in the draft. They should keep add a Corner, DE,  WR, and then a ton of depth on O-line and D-line. I really hope we get Corner, DE and WR in the first 3 rounds..... Take projects with High risk high reward the rest of the draft for the O-line and D-line. If you hit great, if not, next year you load up on those and LB and you're set. But thats just my opinion but I don't know jack @*#$()*%@. So we'll see. 

(I also wouldn't mind seeing them draft a kicker. I know Moody Crapped the bed this past year for SF [even though I wanted him] but drafting someone like him, I wouldn't mind. I just don't know if there's a kicker worth drafting this year in the 5th or 6th round... We need someone that can nail 50+ yards with relative consistency. This shouldn't be a pipe dream....)

1 minute ago, KL2 said:

Bunch of borderline veteran  starter/backup guards still out there. I imagine they will sign one of em

I'm a fan of Jansen's concept: draft a high ceiling tackle, play him at guard until Decker is done then slot him into Sewell's RT spot as Sewell replaces Decker at LT.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Only $9 million guaranteed. 

I said earlier that if Brad builds the defense this off-season like he built the offense last year, we would ALL be happy. A few more depth pieces and this team will be stacked. Let's Go!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think McNeil can really blossom and learn a lot with Reader at his side. I think he also by default makes the pass rush better by taking away the run and forcing teams to throw it more often. He's the ultimate space eating dude it seems. Love this signing and these are the moves I want Brad to go out and make.

Agree with this and also think he will benefit B Martin quite a bit as well. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Like Josh Reynolds.

I think Josh is the likely signing but Tyler Boyd would be my choice of the realistic solutions, might be bit pricey though. The receiver market is flooded with good players.

Posted (edited)

With Reader in, Brodric Martin potentially being elevated in year 2, and McNeil already your top DT on the roster, where does this leave Levi? Will he make the roster and if he does, is he last on the depth chart?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad