Red Wings Playoff Tracker 2024

Standings as of this morning.  As it shows in the next to last column, no one at or behind the Wings has more than 12 points in their past 10 games. If teams continue to do that the rest of the way, the Wings are in good shape and averaging a point per game the rest of the way will be enough. Can't count on that though, I expect at least one of NYI, NJD, Wash or Pitt to make a run. I don't know who, but I still think NJ worries me the most.

image.thumb.png.362df28c7a15c7485cec0aa2fb5f5ba5.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GoBlue23 said:

It's a tossup as to which of those teams will make a run at a wildcard spot but I think the Wings need to be most worried about the Capitals simply because we have two games remaining against them.  Add in the game in hand they currently have and that's a possible 6 points the Caps can pick up on the Wings.  

It's a bit frustrating that they had a chance to all but put away the Isles last week at the LCA when they were 10 points up. That late tie-breaking goal by NYI was a big swing.

New Jersey (Florida), Pittsburgh (Columbus) and NYI (St. Louis) all play at home tonight.

Edited by lordstanley

1 hour ago, GoBlue23 said:

It's a tossup as to which of those teams will make a run at a wildcard spot but I think the Wings need to be most worried about the Capitals simply because we have two games remaining against them.  Add in the game in hand they currently have and that's a possible 6 points the Caps can pick up on the Wings.  

true.  but i also consider the caps to be the weakest team chasing the wings.

After dragging my feet about it for a couple years, I finally got my arm pulled into putting a deposit down on Wings season tickets for next year. Love my Lions season tickets and figure I could do a 1/4 or 1/2 season plan.

Still not sure I’ll do it, will depend on locations available and price points, but it was a pretty good deal. $100 got me two ticket deposits, four free Tigers tickets, playoff priority for this year (🤞🏻), and even if I don’t ultimately go forward on season tickets the $100 can go towards an event at LCA next season.

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

It's a bit frustrating that they had a chance to all but put away the Isles last week at the LCA when they were 10 points up. That late tie-breaking goal by NYI was a big swing.

New Jersey (Florida), Pittsburgh (Columbus) and NYI (St. Louis) all play at home tonight.

the isle are becoming our main competition.

Busy night tonight. You'd have to expect that by the end of the evening the Bolts (maybe the Flyers) will have moved ahead of the Wings and NYI will have moved within 2 pts of the Wings. The Islanders game starts at 10:30pm, all the rest are 7pm.

- Philadelphia at Florida

- St. Louis at New Jersey

- Washington at Pittsburgh

- Calgary at Tampa

- NYI at San Jose

36 minutes ago, buddha said:

its amazing how dependent they are on larkin.

ESPN did a piece on NHL centers, he didn't even get a mention, but he drives this team every bit as much as McDavid drives his. It goes to the difference between a player's personal achievements (stats etc) and his importance to his team.

Posted (edited)

Sabres beat Edmonton today so are 7 pts behind the Wings, with the Wings having 2 games in hand. But might be close enough for the Sabres to still feel they're in the race when they play the Wings twice this month. 

Devils still treading water at best, having lost to Carolina today.

Penguins are playing at the Bruins right now in the 1st period.  Flyers play at the Lightning later today, let that game not get to overtime please.  Capitals should have an easy 2 points in Chicago, but that's what I thought about the Wings going into their game in Arizona last night.

image.thumb.png.e53fe159ff7e58d25651d29faf5b2905.png

Edited by lordstanley

We can't be Arizona so my confidence in putting away Buffalo is fading. After all the numbers and stats I parsed through the other week, it really amazes me how big of a collapse this team has had without Larkin. They look like a bottom 5 team without him and here I thought they had all this scoring depth on the team. 

7 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

This is starting to look like last year...different roster, same result.  At what point do you start looking at the coach?

i think theyre better this year than last year.

the difference is larkin.  they fell apart as soon as he got injured this season, once in december and now again in march.  tells me how much this team is dying for a good second line center.  compher is a nice player but not the type who can play regularly against the other team's top line.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

tells me how much this team is dying for a good second line center. 

I guess we knew Debrincat and Kane are not the kind of two way players that Larkin is, but you would still have thought that the infusion of talent just on an overall basis would have made more difference in their dependence on him. I guess not.

IF the Wings can beat Buffalo tomorrow, they'll be 8 or 9 points up on all of Pittsburgh, Jersey and Buffalo. Which is pretty safe with 17 to go. So they'd need to worry about finishing ahead of 2 of Tampa, NYI, Philly and Washington. I think they're a better team than Philly and Washington.