20234-24 14-68. Now what? (The 2024 Offseason thread)

9 hours ago, Deleterious said:

People put a little too much stock in the draft.

Look at the Timberwolves rotation tonight.  8 deep and they drafted exactly two of those players.  Everyone else was acquired via trade or free agency.  

The Timberwolves comparison that excites me is they are proving you don’t need solid ownership to build a contender.  

Anthony Edwards is why I don't draft based on shooting.

Me and Betrayer had multiple disagreements on Anthony Edwards when he entered the draft.  Betrayer loved him and said he should be the #1 pick.  I thought he would be a decent player but would not take him #1 based on him shooting 29% from three.  With the short line and bad competition in college, 29% is awful.  

Now Edwards is 22 years old and already a top 10 player.  He is crushing it in the playoffs and shoots 35% from three, which is respectable.  

Shooting should be in the mix when evaluating a player.  But I don't like when people say you absolutely have to draft a shooter.  

Posted (edited)

I remember being an advocate of Edwards cause 1. he looked like the only guy that draft with superstar potential(Hali maybe proving that wrong though) and for another I remember reading up that scouts felt his bad shooting numbers were more due to shot selection and forcing things on a bad Georgia team than having a broken form like an Ausar. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

13 hours ago, Deleterious said:

People put a little too much stock in the draft.

Look at the Timberwolves rotation tonight.  8 deep and they drafted exactly two of those players.  Everyone else was acquired via trade or free agency.  

yeah, but the twolves have two #1 picks on that team.  edwards has turned out to be an all.nba talented player.

we all dis KAT because he's a pussy who chokes in the playoffs, but in the regular season he's a monster.  

you cant discount how important those two players are to a rebuilding team.  getting #1 twice helped them immensely.  

once you have your stars in place, you go make trades to bring in the final pieces.  that's what minny has done.

and lets be honest, they may be about to be bounced in 6 games now that denver is awake.  and the only reason they are still in it is because their #1 OVERALL DRAFT PICK is shining.

we all know how bad the pistons management has been.  its the worst.  tom gores may be the worst owner the nba has seen post-sterling/michael jordan.  but the bottom line is that they have been very unlucky in the draft lottery.  and if they had a normal amount of luck, they would now be a better team with a much brighter future.

dropping out of the #1 spot to 5th for 3 years out of four is unlucky and, quite frankly, unfair.  its a bad system.

the nhl also had an unfair system that screwed detroit multiple times.  the nhl changed it just as the wings got good enough where it would have helped them.  i expect a similar thing from the nba eventually.

if you had a system of ping pong balls that correlated to prior lottery successes (i.e.: if you won the lottery the previous seasons you get less balls, and if you were bad and didnt win previously you get more balls) then it would even out.  this system is unneccesarily punitive to teams that are rebuilding and are just bad.

the point is to distribute the best talent to the most struggling teams and this version does a poor job at doing that.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Anthony Edwards is why I don't draft based on shooting.

Me and Betrayer had multiple disagreements on Anthony Edwards when he entered the draft.  Betrayer loved him and said he should be the #1 pick.  I thought he would be a decent player but would not take him #1 based on him shooting 29% from three.  With the short line and bad competition in college, 29% is awful.  

Now Edwards is 22 years old and already a top 10 player.  He is crushing it in the playoffs and shoots 35% from three, which is respectable.  

Shooting should be in the mix when evaluating a player.  But I don't like when people say you absolutely have to draft a shooter.  

I don't recall this, but it sounds like something I would say 😄

After all, I'm the one who wanted Ivey even if we got the #2 pick because of the tantalizing upside of guys with athleticism. Now, I have his name in the trade machine more than any other Piston player.

The Lesson: The draft is a crap shoot. You can get Wiseman at #2 and Giannis at #15.

The only thing I can say for certain is that the Pistons haven't developed a pick since Tayshaun Prince. Time to look for a new player development team while you're out there looking for a new PoBo, GM, Head Coach, and scouting team. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, buddha said:

yeah, but the twolves have two #1 picks on that team.  edwards has turned out to be an all.nba talented player.

we all dis KAT because he's a pussy who chokes in the playoffs, but in the regular season he's a monster.  

you cant discount how important those two players are to a rebuilding team.  getting #1 twice helped them immensely.  

once you have your stars in place, you go make trades to bring in the final pieces.  that's what minny has done.

and lets be honest, they may be about to be bounced in 6 games now that denver is awake.  and the only reason they are still in it is because their #1 OVERALL DRAFT PICK is shining.

Not saying the draft isn't important.  Just saying it isn't the be-all and end-all that people think it is.  Sam Presti would have two fistfuls of rings if the draft was everything.  Nobody does it as good as he does .  

I do agree it is your best shot at landing a star.  Especially for a team in a not so attractive location.  

Posted (edited)

I want to win so  bad I would even accept a Duke alumni.

Detroit Pistons’ president of basketball operations search: The latest we’re hearing

Part of the hold up, league sources say, is that Detroit appears interested in making a run at Minnesota Timberwolves head executive Tim Connelly, whose team is currently in the midst of a second-round playoff matchup with Connelly’s former team, the defending-champion Denver Nuggets.

Whether or not Connelly returns to the Timberwolves, league sources say he is likely to opt out of the final year of his contract. It seems likely that Connelly will return to Minnesota, but if Pistons owner Tom Gores is willing to offer something like $15 million annually, that could be enough to pry him away.

The Pistons were denied permission to interview Milwaukee’s Jon Horst last week, league and team sources tell The Athletic. It is possible that the Bucks were posturing to get assets from Detroit in order to take Horst, who signed a multi-year deal with Milwaukee in 2021. However, the Pistons have decided to move on to other candidates.

New Orleans’ Trajan Langdon, Dallas’ Dennis Lindsey and Chicago’s Marc Eversley, among others, have established themselves as viable targets for the role, league sources tell The Athletic.

Edited by Deleterious

31 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I want to win so  bad I would even accept a Duke alumni.

Detroit Pistons’ president of basketball operations search: The latest we’re hearing

why would they be interested in anyone from chicago?  that organization is the epitome of nba purgatory.

also read today that portland's gm turned down the opportunity to meet for the job.  if true - and there is no way to say it is or isnt true - that says a lot about how the job is perceived in the industry.

Not saying the draft isn't important.  Just saying it isn't the be-all and end-all that people think it is.  Sam Presti would have two fistfuls of rings if the draft was everything.  Nobody does it as good as he does .  

I do agree it is your best shot at landing a star.  Especially for a team in a not so attractive location.  

agree about presti as the best or one of the best.  weaver shows that just pulling someone from a successful organization doesnt mean they will also be successful.  if you cant pull presti, best to leave okc org alone.

my biggest gripe with this lottery stuff is just how unfair its been to detroit while its been overwhelmingly "fair" to teams like cleveland or san antonio or houston.

yes, its incumbent on detroit to draft and develop better, but the unfairness of the system has made their ability to do that much more difficult.

and with tom gores as owner, it needs to be at the "so easy that even an idiot can do it" level or were going to be here in purgatory forever.

Posted (edited)

Bad for him. 

Also bad for us. Many mocks had him going to SAN. With him off the board that basically means we now have the #6 pick. 

In other news, Reed Sheppard just logged the largest Max Vertical (42”) in the combine. Even if he alligator-armed it to get a few extra inches, it’s still pretty impressive. I sneaky wanted him if we didn’t land Sarr, but it’s looking more and more like he won’t last to #5. Most likely Houston will get yet another player I wanted. 

Edited by Betrayer

11 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Bad for him. 

Also bad for us. Many mocks had him going to SAN. With him off the board that basically means we now have the #6 pick. 

In other news, Reed Sheppard just logged the largest Max Vertical (42”) in the combine. Even if he alligator-armed it to get a few extra inches, it’s still pretty impressive. I sneaky wanted him if we didn’t land Sarr, but it’s looking more and more like he won’t last to #5. Most likely Houston will get yet another player I wanted. 

wasnt there a rumor san antonio were going to trade that pick (plus other picks) for trae young?  that rumor makes no sense to me as trae seems like the opposite of what the spurs look for in a player.  he's selfish, shoots first, never passes within the offense, and he plays no defense.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

wasnt there a rumor san antonio were going to trade that pick (plus other picks) for trae young?  that rumor makes no sense to me as trae seems like the opposite of what the spurs look for in a player.  he's selfish, shoots first, never passes within the offense, and he plays no defense.

I think that started because Victor said Young was intriguing. 

On 5/8/2024 at 2:32 PM, Betrayer said:

It's funny, I always hear about the guys in the draft who are "definitely a Heat guy" and I think, "well, why not just draft that guy?" It happened with Bam, Jovic to some extent, Jaquez, and now I'm hearing Devin Carter. 3 and D combo guard who is tough as nails, gets compared to Bruce Brown, and who's in the Heat mold? Sounds like a better fit next to Cade than Ivey already. He's 6'3" with a 6'7" wingspan, so yes, one of Ivey/Sasser/Grimes has to get moved, but let's be honest, we're all talking about doing that already.

Maybe test the waters on Jeremy Grant since Portland should want to get off that contract they signed before Lillard left. Do a pick swap, take on Jeremy's contract, send over Fournier's expiring, and maybe a young prospect like Sasser or Grimes. Portland gets a high pick to build alongside Scoot and they get free of Grant's money. Pistons add a starting caliber PF who can shoot and defend as well as a 22 year old 3 and D guard who can play next to Cade (or off the bench if you keep Ivey).

You still have Ivey/Duren as trade assets along with about 40M in free money to make trades and/or go after free agents such as Claxton/Hartenstein, Trent Jr, Oubre, etc.

Just spit-balling here because who knows what Portland wants to do with Jeremy, but Omari and Bryce discussed a trade for Grant where we gave up even less because it's essentially a "sin contract" right now.

Carter just set a combine record with the fastest 3/4 court time and measured a 42” vert. He could wind up in the top 10. 

21 hours ago, buddha said:

we all know how bad the pistons management has been.  its the worst.  tom gores may be the worst owner the nba has seen post-sterling/michael jordan.  but the bottom line is that they have been very unlucky in the draft lottery.  and if they had a normal amount of luck, they would now be a better team with a much brighter future.

dropping out of the #1 spot to 5th for 3 years out of four is unlucky and, quite frankly, unfair.  its a bad system.

the nhl also had an unfair system that screwed detroit multiple times.  the nhl changed it just as the wings got good enough where it would have helped them.  i expect a similar thing from the nba eventually.

if you had a system of ping pong balls that correlated to prior lottery successes (i.e.: if you won the lottery the previous seasons you get less balls, and if you were bad and didnt win previously you get more balls) then it would even out.  this system is unneccesarily punitive to teams that are rebuilding and are just bad.

the point is to distribute the best talent to the most struggling teams and this version does a poor job at doing that.

Well, the objective of the league was to discourage tanking and it seems like that objective is being reached. 

I always laugh at the concept of "tanking" anyway. Yes, these bad teams do tend to load management more towards the end of a lost season but for the most part, these teams are just bad. Rebuilds, building with primarily young players, was always a thing and will always lead to teams being bad for a couple of years. Now, the Pistons have taken bad to another level with a 4+ year rebuild but it doesn't mean they're intentionally tanking, they just suck.

14 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Bad for him. 

I don't think the Pistons would take Sheppard anyway if Weaver is still around. Sheppard was the one guy I was warming to, he's a pretty high floor prospect. At the worst, you're getting a guy that can shoot the hell out of the ball. I know it's a lazy comparison because...white guy... but Austin Reaves seems like a pretty good comparable and I'd take that guy on my team.

The other guys don't really do much for me. Sarr has a bundle of potential but he's another non-shooter and seems like a project, I've seen another Pistons projects the last few years to last a lifetime. Risacher has the coveted archetype but his 3 ball really fell off, Buzelis same as Risacher. Stephon Castle has an intriguing skillset but, again, a guy that can't shoot. Clingan could be a defensive game changer but he seems more like a late lottery type of guy like Lively. Really isn't much there to be excited about.

34 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Well, the objective of the league was to discourage tanking and it seems like that objective is being reached. 

I always laugh at the concept of "tanking" anyway. Yes, these bad teams do tend to load management more towards the end of a lost season but for the most part, these teams are just bad. Rebuilds, building with primarily young players, was always a thing and will always lead to teams being bad for a couple of years. Now, the Pistons have taken bad to another level with a 4+ year rebuild but it doesn't mean they're intentionally tanking, they just suck.

there was some pretty hard tanking going on.  washington, charlotte, detroit.  and if anything "cured" widespread tanking this year it was the weak draft class.  last year there was beaucoup tanking for wemby.

also, i would argue the expansion of the playoffs did more to incentivize teams to spend for marginal wins than the flattening of the lottery.