Red Wings 2024 Off-Season Thread

2 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

The Wings actually scored more goals per game without Kane in the lineup than with him in the lineup (and gave up a lot less goals against) though this does include the stretch without Larkin which is probably more of a driving force than Kane being in the lineup.  But something I definitely found interesting.

by fancy stats, at 5v5 the wings were one of the worst teams in the league.  they had pne of the best shooting %s in the league and alex lyon did his best terry sawchuck impersonation for two months.

i expect regression next year without something drastic.  i'd rather see them call up the youngsters and roll with it.  

good discussion on wwp today.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

by fancy stats, at 5v5 the wings were one of the worst teams in the league.  they had pne of the best shooting %s in the league and alex lyon did his best terry sawchuck impersonation for two months.

i expect regression next year without something drastic.  i'd rather see them call up the youngsters and roll with it.  

good discussion on wwp today.

I think unless Lalonde changes his systems, the Wings will never look good when evaluating fancy stats.  Their offense seems to be built around low volume but high quality shots, while their defense sorta seems to be letting other teams shoot from low danger areas as much as they want.  Not saying they don't show a cause for concern, I just don't think the fancy stats are ever going to show large shot shares at 5 on 5 compared to most teams.  Just my opinion though.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I think unless Lalonde changes his systems, the Wings will never look good when evaluating fancy stats.  Their offense seems to be built around low volume but high quality shots, while their defense sorta seems to be letting other teams shoot from low danger areas as much as they want.  Not saying they don't show a cause for concern, I just don't think the fancy stats are ever going to show large shot shares at 5 on 5 compared to most teams.  Just my opinion though.

The first part absolutely, and given that they had DeBrincat and Larkin, Perron, and Kane, who are all great snipers, it's absolutely the right strategy on  offense for them. SOG don't win games. BUT, OTOH, they are horrible in the D zone exactly as you point out because they don't attack possession. It was interesting to hear Moritz highlight that very thing in his exit interview discussion of what they need to do better. He gets it. The problem is that Wings forwards don't.

I've been starting to do some research of my own by reading up on and watching videos from this years crop of draft prospects. Stan, Sloth or anyone that follows juniors/international juniors/colligate hockey who are prospects the Wings could realistically be looking at in this years draft? I'd like to see us build up our depth at forward and get a pure goal scorer if that player exists when we pick. Last year I wanted one of Zach Benson or Colby Barlow as they projected as such and we didn't draft either. Is this a forwarded heavy draft, defensive heavy draft, balanced, or a weak draft class?

Do we have a shot at the Tij Iginla who is Jerome Iginla's son? He seems like a dynamic goal scorer who could play wing or center. Berkly Catton, Liam Greentree, Cayden Lindstrom are some other prospects of interest to me that fit the goal scoring mode. Are these guys that would realistically be there when the Wings pick? Who are we looking at?

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard is a SY kind of pick.   RH shot...decent size...some skill but also very responsible defensively

As a 19 year old who doesn't turn 20 until February...I think Gibson has to play Jr next year unless he's somehow good enough to make the Wings.  I think that's also the case with Finnie

12 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard is a SY kind of pick.   RH shot...decent size...some skill but also very responsible defensively

With how he's playing right now I feel like he's going to be gone before the Wings pick sadly.

I still haven't gotten up to speed on prospects for this draft yet personally, just some stuff here and there.

I think you are right about Gibson and Finnie too, back to juniors for them sadly.

15 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I've been starting to do some research of my own by reading up on and watching videos from this years crop of draft prospects. Stan, Sloth or anyone that follows juniors/international juniors/colligate hockey who are prospects the Wings could realistically be looking at in this years draft? ?

I'll have to defer to Sloth and others. It's no false modesty of mine to say that I probably know less about draft prospects than any regular contributor to the Red Wings section. Exception is if a player plays for WHL's Vancouver Giants or AHL's Abbotsford, or is a Western Canadian gaining "exceptional" status.

4 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Not sure how Petry got the call but hopefully he’s last on the depth chart.  

I think he's gone to the World's a bunch in the past and most of the countries respect that because not a ton of NHL players usually like to go.  Plus the next oldest defenseman to him is Seth Jones who doesn't really strike me as a leader type so Petry brings that "veteran presence" to a young group.  I was shocked to see him there though, I figured he'd want the time off anyways.