Red Wings 2024 Off-Season Thread

Yep...will be interesting to see who comes back and who moves on.  I'm mixed on Kane and Perron... Sprong is a goner...Fabbri is signed for a year and reasonably productive... Veleno is an RFA...edge to Fabbri on the bottom six. Will Kasper and Mazur be ready to make the jump?

Defense needs an overhaul...Ghost should be back...he's so good o the PP.  Seider and Edvinsson are the future (along with ASP)  Are guys like Wallinder and Tuomisto (both have played several years now in Europe and NA against men) ready to challenge?. 

Cossa is the future in net... Lyon, Reimer and Husso are all question marks to on extent or another  Husso and Lyon are both signed for next year...Husso even when healthy hasn't exactly set the world on fire.  Assuming Cossa is in GR again, I'm not too excited about Husson or Lyon as the starter.  Lyon maybe as a back up.  I assume Reimer will not be back

How much cap will new deals for Seider and Raymond consume?  Will there be enough left to make an impact FA addition?  Stamkos may be out there...Reinhart may be out there..Guentzel would add some pop to the top six.  Dylan Larkin's old buddy Tyler Bertuzzi is a UFA...

Would not be surprised if we backslide a bit next year as more of the young talent moves in..if that's the direction they go in

the wings no longer have unlimited money.  they have to pay seider and raymond now.  seider is probably getting 8.5.  raymond may have played his way into 8.  with larkin, debrincat, seider, and raymond all making that kind of coin, there isnt a ton of room left for free agents.  not with paying compher, chairot, fabbri, husso, and copp larger mid-level deals.  not to mention maata and holl sucking up space.

i dont see how ghost comes back.  kane can come back if he will take 5.  anything more than that and he's probably gone.  vegas will sign him after putting stone on ltir for 81 games.

kasper can replace veleno.  mazur can replace perron.  edvinsson will stick.  cut husso and take the cap hit.  call up cossa or sign a reasonably priced backup.  johansson should be up in place of holl or petry.

they dont have the money for guentzel or stamkos.  its all about internal development.  its time to see the fruits of all those draft picks.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

the wings no longer have unlimited money.  they have to pay seider and raymond now.  seider is probably getting 8.5.

Sites I've seen say the Wings have $28M going into next season. By your figures,  If Seider an Raymond take $14.5 (they are already taking ~$2M so the raise would be $14.5), they have ~$13.5M to work with. I wouldn't spend the money on Kane if I could get a center, but I don't know if we can - and Stamkos is old - don't see Yzerman going that way. Anyway - it's still a pretty good chunk of change - they should be able to do something helpful.

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Sites I've seen say the Wings have $28M going into next season. By your figures,  If Seider an Raymond take $14.5 (they are already taking ~$2M so the raise would be $14.5), they have ~$13.5M to work with. I wouldn't spend the money on Kane if I could get a center, but I don't know if we can - and Stamkos is old - don't see Yzerman going that way. Anyway - it's still a pretty good chunk of change - they should be able to do something helpful.

Screenshot_20240417_062812_The Athletic.jpg

they have very little room to move for a star player.  i dont see how they bring ghost and kane back.  you can get one but not the other.

the rumors that theyre already talking extension with perron are scary to me.  he's old and fell off badly at the end of the year (excluding the last few games).

things should open up after this season when husso, petry, maata, and fabbri come off the books.  that's $15 million right there.

Edited by buddha

lucas raymond's continued development is the best part about this season.  seider continues to be solid and the points will come when he takes over for ghost as #1 on the pp.  but raymond got better and stronger as the year went on.

positives: raymond, larkin, walman, seider, lyon, fischer, chairot.

disappointments:  compher, copp, rasmussen, husso, debrincat, holl.

The biggest change needs to be behind the bench.  Lalonde just doesn’t have it.  He’s not the guy.  I think Blashill may have been better and that’s frightening.  

I’d be interested in Craig Berube but that probably means they work something out for Perron to stay and that in itself is not something anyone should want.  He’s an ok piece on a cup contender but he’s done as someone you count on as a top 6 forward every night.     They are already saddled with vets in Compher and Kopp that have underachieved and need to provide more.  No need to keep collecting more guys like these.

Two years ago, they looked at David Carle from DU and chose Lalonde.   He’s going to be an NHL coach this offseason.   I don’t know if he’s necessarily the route to go either but very intriguing. 

Goalie is tricky thing in the NHL.  It’s an easier job predicting the weather in Michigan than figuring out who’s capable of having a breakout season.  I think they can ride with who they have for the moment.  Cossa needs to play though and if he’s moving East then he’s got to get at least half the starts.   Can’t just bring him up to play once every 5 games.  

1 hour ago, buddha said:

positives: ... chiarot.

Chiarot was a positive this year but I don't trust him. He was atrocious the year before, and is not getting younger at 33 next year.

I don't see a need to keep him if the top 2 are Walman and Edvinsson, and the bottom 2 can be filled in with Maatta, and possibly a Wallinder or Johansson, or both.

As you said, it's time to start reaping the benefits of the system that Yzerman has built.

To me... that's making Cap decisions this year. And moving on from certain players.

I am eager to push multiple vets out the door, and bring in kids instead, and to me, that means Chiarot is out the door. Walman & Edvinsson are top 2 pair next year, IMO... We want Chiarot as 3rd pair D? Why?

2 hours ago, buddha said:

kane also was a positive even if he dropped off a bit at the end.

I  have still have hard a time seeing Yzerman committing many dollars to a 36 yr old unless he thought they would be winning a cup next year, which I also don't see. It would be a major departure from his professed strategy. Nothing is impossible, but unless we get a big discount, I'll be surprised to see Kane back. 

Or neither Kane nor Gost is back, and Yzerman goes in another direction, which also wouldn't surprise me. 

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

The biggest change needs to be behind the bench.  

At the beginning of last season I thought Lalonde had them pursuing the puck better and generally being harder to play against than Blashill ever did, but his inability to snap them out of their March funk was disappointing, and I think they have gradually reverted to playing soft again. Part of that maybe because as has been noted, they are not a young team and it's been a grueling season and some of them were running on fumes. 

Edited by gehringer_2

31 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I  have still have hard a time seeing Yzerman committing many dollars to a 36 yr old unless he thought they would be winning a cup next year, which I also don't see. It would be a major departure from his professed strategy. Nothing is impossible, but unless we get a big discount, I'll be surprised to see Kane back. 

Or neither Kane nor Gost is back, and Yzerman goes in another direction, which also wouldn't surprise me. 

i dont want to see more 5m contracts for average players like compher and copp.

43 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

At the beginning of last season I thought Lalonde had them pursuing the puck better and generally being harder to play against than Blashill ever did, but his inability to snap them out of their March funk was disappointing, and I think they have gradually reverted to playing soft again. Part of that maybe because as has been noted, they are not a young team and it's been a grueling season and some of them were running on fumes. 

They are not a young team and yet nobody provided “veteran leadership” when Larkin was down. That’s what you’re supposed to do when you’re signed to a multi-year big money contract. 

Also, they signed these responsible two-way centers but the team still can’t keep the puck out of the net. 

Lalonde seems to be a replacement-level coach. Based on where the team is I don’t think it is the right time for a change there but I hope he shuffles his staff. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Shai Buium has signed a three year entry level deal beginning next year...reporting to the Griffs on a PTO.  

Just like Carter Mazur, another Denver product that won an NCAA championship playing for David Carle.    

1 minute ago, Jason_R said:

They are not a young team and yet nobody provided “veteran leadership” when Larkin was down. That’s what you’re supposed to do when you’re signed to a multi-year big money contract. 

Also, they signed these responsible two-way centers but the team still can’t keep the puck out of the net. 

Lalonde seems to be a replacement-level coach. Based on where the team is I don’t think it is the right time for a change there but I hope he shuffles his staff. 

There is something said for needing continuity but the rebuilding is done and they are ready to compete.   Since I don’t think he will ever be the right guy, my ideal time to fire him is right now.  

15 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

The playoffs are not a lock for the Wings  next season. 

they are absolutely not a lock.  they have to get another center/playmaker.  im not sure how they do that.

but they need internal advancement from the younger kids.

If they start relegating vets in p!ace of youth...they might regress a bit, but be better positioned for the future.  Petry and Matta have 1 year left, Chiarot  and Holl have two. These contracts aren't going to horribly difficult to offload.

Not sure Lalonde should be back.  Two straight years of horrible play at clutch time is disquieting

Edited by Shinzaki

32 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

The playoffs are not a lock for the Wings  next season. 

Just now, Shinzaki said:

If they start relegating vets in p!ace of youth...they might regress a bit,

I sort of go back to Buddha's point about not wasting money on mid level guys. Swing for the fences with one signing of a guy young enough to be here for a while and good enough to make a difference and promote guys to fill in the rest. If you lose a little more for one season so be it.

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

they are absolutely not a lock.  they have to get another center/playmaker.  im not sure how they do that.

but they need internal advancement from the younger kids.

Causes for 2024-25 playoff concern:

- 91 pts is a lower than normal cut off for a playoff spot

- Wings got key contributions from players like Kane and Gostisbehere who may not be back

- Other than a full season of Edvinsson, I'm not sure who we can expect from GR to make a meaningful positive contribution to the Wings as soon as next year

Causes for 2024-25 playoff optimism

- I don't think the depth in the Eastern Conference is that great. Among playoff teams, Boston (finally) and Tampa could drop next year. Bubble teams Washington and Pittsburgh will likely drop some more.  Jersey probably will be better, Philly may not be, Islanders will be similar to this year. In other words, Wings are not locked out of the playoffs by any means

- The Wings were 11th in the league through the end of February. They were doing something right for 3/4 of the season. I think a better coach would have somehow got them through March better. Although maybe this shouldn't be listed as an optimism point, since I think Lalonde will be back.

- I think the Wings can get better goaltending next year. Maybe that's a Lyon-Cossa platoon. Lyon dropped off this year, but maybe it was because he was overworked for a couple of months due to Reimer and Husso injuries. I never really thought he played "out of his mind", as in not repeatable. 

- I actually think the Wings will sign Ghost but move on from Kane. Not a lot of money to play with, so no room for a star, but should be able to add a contributor.