5/21/24 7:40PM Tigers @ Royals

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

That been apparent all season. The entire team was slumping. I never liked the approach of working the count. If there's a good pitch to hit, hit the damn thing. 

As long as the highest paid player on the team, who also happens to have arguably the WORST approach at the plate in MLB, is still on the roster, nobody should take anything Harris says serioualy, especially the other players on the team.

2 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

I don’t think Harris was promising much this offseason. In fact he tended to downplay things. Finish with 83-85 wins, which is still possible, and I’ll be happy. Then get dealing during the offseason.

As for the Royals, low K/9 rates for their pitching and ridiculously high success with RISP for the offense screams regression. But they have banked these 32 wins and have a decent shot at making the playoffs. 

Needless to say, I'm not sold on Harris, he has next season to prove me wrong...if it's more of this again, then he's bricked.

Just now, Dtrain72 said:

Needless to say, I'm not sold on Harris, he has next season to prove me wrong...if it's more of this again, then he's bricked.

I don't know about that.  I am too lazy to see how many years his contract is for but I can't imagine Ilitch wanting to pay 2 GMs or 2 managers at the same time.

4 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Keith heating up in May.

He's hit at every level. Struggling his first couple of months was somewhat predictable. It really wouldn't surprise me if he finishes close to .300 by the end of the year.

lost cause and he has nothing to show for it but Tork is going to RF tonight and hitting it hard. If he'd keep that up in just moderate doses I have to believe it will help him turn his season around. He'll get pitches to turn on when hits some of the ones he can't the other way.

32 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

I was only thinking they would get more for him if they traded him with an extra year of control.  I am 95% certain that the guys who were supposed to be the core of the offense are going to be basically what they are right now.  Time to rebuild again.

We have a few holes. A platoon in one, maybe two, positions is OK. But 4 spots? I dislike these "versatile" guys who can play multiple positions. Yeah, we would get more for Skubal if he was a year and a half away from free agency but you lose the ability to negotiate with him before the trade deadline in '26. I can't even imagine how much he'll get if he stays healthy and stays so dominate. The guy is a freaking horse.

1 minute ago, tiger2022 said:

I thought you could only find guys like Mize and Torkelson that high in the draft.

Lol...every team, scout and expert had Mize and Tork high on their board the years they came out. Drafting these guys wasn't a mistake, they were the cream of the crop. Baseball is really hard IRT predicting how good a player will be by the time they make the majors. Skubal was a 9th round pick and look at him, a legit Cy Young chance this season.

Posted (edited)

It’s hard to imagine this team making the playoffs. A fourth place finish in the division looks realistic and that won’t get it done. 

Edited by 1776

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Lol...every team, scout and expert had Mize and Tork high on their board the years they came out. Drafting these guys wasn't a mistake, they were the cream of the crop. Baseball is really hard IRT predicting how good a player will be by the time they make the majors. Skubal was a 9th round pick and look at him, a legit Cy Young chance this season.

your scouts and general managers are paid to make those decisions and not go by what's in the press.

so far, mize and tork have been massive failures.  however, its still very early in their careers and plenty of time to turn it around.

but the "lolz everyone said they were top prospects so the fact that they didnt pan out isnt a black mark on the people who drafted them" argument doesnt fly with me.  the people who drafted them are supposed to know more than keith law or baseball america.  its a results based business.  if they fail, the people who drafted them fail.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tiger2022 said:

Mize is a middle of the pack guy.  His stuff is average at best, and even out of college had an average fastball with little movement.  He supposedly had amazing off speed stuff, which has yet to show in the majors.  How he went #1 overall is beyond me.  

IIRC The old board was pretty excited when he was picked. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

It’s hard to imagine this team making the playoffs. A fourth place finish in the division looks realistic and that want get it done. 

I'm debating if I even want to keep paying for the Bally app all summer. Getting blown out early or losing late are both reasons to find something more constructive to do. This team really stinks and they didn't seem to make any positive moves this last off-season. Other teams have rebuilt and are contending in the same time period. And the Tigers are just spinning their wheels. How much longer are the fans going to show the patience they're calling for? And yes, this coming from a huge Lions fan...rebuilding since the late 1950's. 🤣🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tiger2022 said:

Do you think the Tigers trade Skubal by the all star break next season?  I kind of feel like they are going to be throwing up the white flag by the end of this season.  

No. If Harris trades Skubal next year for even more prospects even farther away from helping us win, then he has quit and he might as well leave. 

53 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

I was only thinking they would get more for him if they traded him with an extra year of control.  I am 95% certain that the guys who were supposed to be the core of the offense are going to be basically what they are right now.  Time to rebuild again.

We’re rebuilding right now!