9-17-21 Tigers @ Rays 7:10 PM

MotownWebGuy

Just now, IdahoBert said:

I don’t feel bad about it. We don’t have any skin in the playoffs or anything and this team played hard and had some bad luck. I’m excited at how the team plays in general and next year will be a real treat.

This one hurt, but in the grand scheme you are right. 

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

That game was lost in the 9th.... they really needed to get Soto out after the walk.

That said, Garcia showed little in that inning to suggest he's a piece of the bullpen going forward 

Haase’s failure to block that pitch in the dirt in the ninth, allowing the runner to get to third and eventually letting him score the tying run on the sac fly—that was the game.

Edited by chasfh

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Haase’s failure to block that pitch in the dirt in the ninth, allowing the runner to get to third and eventually score the tying run on the sac fly—that was the game.

That didn't help, obviously, I just kinda operate under the assumption that bases loaded, no out against this team, they'd be lucky to get out of that inning tied.

Soto was left in a bit too long imo.

Edited by mtutiger

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

That game was lost in the 9th.... they really needed to get Soto out after the walk.

That said, Garcia showed little in that inning to suggest he's a piece of the bullpen going forward 

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Haase’s failure to block that pitch in the dirt in the ninth, allowing the runner to get to third and eventually letting him score the tying run on the sac fly—that was the game.

pretty much a multi-modal failure. This is probably an easy win in a world where Casey pitches 6. And TBF, the Tigers had some bad BaBIP luck - the lead could have been bigger. But Garcia's continuing failure is probably the primary takeaway. Be a shame if they can't fix him.

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

They should have pulled him

Yeah if they were so careful with someone’s butt they should’ve been more careful with someone’s hand. They did end up using nine pitchers. I think AJ was trying to save the bullpen as much as possible and errored on the side of being positive about how Soto felt. 

12 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Having a star pitcher go only three innings on purpose is already conceding a large aspect of the game. There’s a good reason for it, it had to be done, but losing a game under these circumstances is not surprising especially against a team like Tampa Bay. 

They have a ceiling for sure because of their constraints pitching wise.

I've been thinking 75 wins is that ceiling as the season has evolved, but they keep pushing the envelope. Tonight is one of those games that would have been nice to put in the bank to reach that goal, but it is what it is.

Move on, and try to get out of St. Petersburg with at least one W

Edited by mtutiger

9 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Relievers are just odd.  What did Funkhouser show in 2019 & 2020?

I wouldn't want to count on either Garcia or Funkhouser as a part of the "late & close" subgrouping of the bullpen going forward.

13 minutes ago, MotownWebGuy said:

I’ve been to both… I can give the Homerdome a pass since it was a multi-purpose stadium. Tropicana is baseball only and still fails.

Wasn't Tropicana developed as a multipurpose?

I think one of the things that baseball fans maybe forget or don't realize is that it was opened in 1990.  Camden Yards, which has become the standard for the new era of stadia, opened in 1992.  Tropicana should be more comparable to Toronto's Roger's Centre (opened as SkyDome in 1989).  But I think that because it didn't have a baseball tenant until 1998, it's sterile/unpleasant nature gets magnified a bit.  The Rays were created in the retro park era, but started and have only played in a cookie cutter.  And of course, the lack of attendance adds into the perception as well.

12 minutes ago, casimir said:

Wasn't Tropicana developed as a multipurpose?

I think one of the things that baseball fans maybe forget or don't realize is that it was opened in 1990.  Camden Yards, which has become the standard for the new era of stadia, opened in 1992.  Tropicana should be more comparable to Toronto's Roger's Centre (opened as SkyDome in 1989).  But I think that because it didn't have a baseball tenant until 1998, it's sterile/unpleasant nature gets magnified a bit.  The Rays were created in the retro park era, but started and have only played in a cookie cutter.  And of course, the lack of attendance adds into the perception as well.

I believe Tropicana Field was built specifically to try and lure a baseball team to the area, with the White Sox and Giants the targets at that time. The stadium was used for other sports (it was the early home for the Lightening), but that was primarily because it wasn’t being used much until the Rays came along. I don’t believe multipurpose was the idea behind it, but may be wrong. 

3 minutes ago, MotownWebGuy said:

I believe Tropicana Field was built specifically to try and lure a baseball team to the area, with the White Sox and Giants the targets at that time. The stadium was used for other sports (it was the early home for the Lightening), but that was primarily because it wasn’t being used much until the Rays came along. I don’t believe multipurpose was the idea behind it, but may be wrong. 

I remember the White Sox and Giants rumors.  And there was also the attempt at the 1993 expansion.

Its kind of funny to think of the current situation in the Bay Area and how in some alternate universe the A's became the only team around after the Tampa Giants became a thing.

54 minutes ago, MotownWebGuy said:

I guess as long as you have an ownership group willing to pony up the entry fees the other owners are not going to complain about getting paid, but I don't get how they ever thought a team in St. Pete had enough accessible fan base to fill a ballpark irrespective of whether it was attractive or not.

Edited by gehringer_2