9-17-21 Tigers @ Rays 7:10 PM

MotownWebGuy

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I guess as long as you have an ownership group willing to pony up the entry fees the other owners are not going to complain about getting paid, but I don't get how they ever thought a team in St. Pete had enough accessible fan base to fill a ballpark irrespective of whether it was attractive or not.

Last night Jack said the population base is in Tampa and they have to drive a long way to get to the stadium over bridges in bad traffic and it’s a pain in the rear. He also said a lot of people are really old and less likely to want to travel far. I think he needs some more sensitivity training. <rim shot>

10 hours ago, MotownWebGuy said:

I’ve been to both… I can give the Homerdome a pass since it was a multi-purpose stadium. Tropicana is baseball only and still fails.

I thought HHH was the worst place I have ever seen a baseball game. Worse than Tampa, worse even than Montreal. I literally could not see any fly ball against the ceiling. I did see a Michigan State football game there once. That was fine.

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I thought HHH was the worst place I have ever seen a baseball game. Worse than Tampa, worse even than Montreal. I literally could not see any fly ball against the ceiling. I did see a Michigan State football game there once. That was fine.

we went to a few games at HHH when we were in Minny - it was a terrible place - bad surface, bad backgrounds, and add to that that sound just ricocheted around the place endlessly and they thought the way to compensate was crank the volume up to a couple of hundred decibels. No - kidding we started taking those little foam ear plugs. It's a good thing they never had to issue any kind of civil defense or evac warning because no-one could ever make out anything that came over the PA there.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

we went to a few games at HHH when we were in Minny - it was a terrible place - bad surface, bad backgrounds, and add to that that sound just ricocheted around the place endlessly and they thought the way to compensate was crank the volume up to a couple of hundred decibels. No - kidding we started taking those little foam ear plugs. It's a good thing they never had to issue any kind of civil defense or evac warning because no-one could ever make out anything that came over the PA there.

I went to quite a few games at the old dome, it SUCKED! Couldn't hear a thing, felt sterile and that weird baggie in right covering the excess seating was just odd. 

Glad its gone, Target Field is a great baseball venue. It feels small and intimate, whereas the the metrodome was cavernous. 

One thing that must've carried over or is just part of the franchise is CRANKING the music. It leaves my head spinning from the inundation of loud noise for hours on end after a game. I mostly only attend games at Target Field so I'm not sure if the trend is league wide or localized but the need to fill every possible second with speaker noise at the game has greatly reduced my enjoyment. 

13 minutes ago, JackPine said:

I went to quite a few games at the old dome, it SUCKED! Couldn't hear a thing, felt sterile and that weird baggie in right covering the excess seating was just odd. 

Glad its gone, Target Field is a great baseball venue. It feels small and intimate, whereas the the metrodome was cavernous. 

One thing that must've carried over or is just part of the franchise is CRANKING the music. It leaves my head spinning from the inundation of loud noise for hours on end after a game. I mostly only attend games at Target Field so I'm not sure if the trend is league wide or localized but the need to fill every possible second with speaker noise at the game has greatly reduced my enjoyment. 

I haven't noticed too much of that at CoPa yet, but it's more and more SOP at more and more places. I had UM season tickets for number of years back in the day but hadn't been to a game for a long time leading up to one I attended a couple of seasons ago. Same thing - constant ear splitting volume every moment the play clock was stopped. If you are a young investor go long in hearing aid technology and manufacture timed for about 2050-2060. It is is bad enough for the Rock'n'Roll concert generation, but everyone born after the advent of the earbud and the Class D PA amplifier is going to be deaf by 60.

Edited by gehringer_2

15 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

They knocked [the Metrodome] down didn't they?

yep, and built the Vikings' new football stadium on the same site.

I, too, made it to the Metrodome a few times for Twins games. once with my mom and sister in 1986, once with a friend (tickets that I won by being caller X to the local radio station) in 1987, and one other time, possibly also in 1987, as the Twins kind of got on my **** list by winning the 1987 ALCS.

Edited by Crazy Cat Gentleman
no autocensor, eh?