Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

This one is less surprising to me than Buggs. Irvin was always a temporary stopgap. He was good for that one sack though, which was great fodder for us to yell at the Okwaras and Harris with. "Old Man Winter gets signed and is immediately productive across from Hutch, while you're all here for an entire season and nothing"

It is a little surprising because they could have kept him on the practice squad. Once the playoffs start, your elevations restart. 

The fact they got five and Amon-Ra wasn't one of them is an absolute joke. He's better than either Mike Evans or Puka Nacua. While I'm at it, Gibbs is better than Swift and Kyren Williams and Goff is better than all three of Dak, Purdy, and Stafford.

It's okay though, they'll be too busy preparing for Vegas to attend anyway.

The NFC has some good receivers. The one I probably quibble with the most is Mike Evans. Goff is better than Stafford in every statistical category. I'm old enough to remember when Stafford couldn't make the Pro Bowl after throwing for 5,000 yards and 41 TDs. 

I wonder if McNeil hadn't gotten injured if he would have at least made an alternate? 

Hot Seat List

----GOOD AS GONE ----

1.  Ron Rivera, Washington.  -  If he hasn't packed up his stuff yet, I'd be shocked.  This is where I think Harbaugh is going.  Two Harbaughs in the Beltway.   

---NEED A POSITIVE FINISH ----

2. Arthur Smith, Atlanta. -  If they can somehow rally and luck their way into the playoffs they might save his job, but probably not.  

3. Mike McCarthy, Dallas - Look, the only reason the Lions had that shot is allowing his OC to call pass plays late in that game when they needed to drain the clock.  That was pure stupidity.  I think he needs to get to the NFC Championship to stay.   The home run swing for Jerry might be Lincoln Riley

4. Dennis Allen, New Orleans -  Thought this was an uninspired pick to begin with.   

---TIRED ROUTINE---

5. Mike Vrabel, Tennessee -  Might be that it got stale there.   If Bill leaves New England I think they will find a way to get Vrabel there. 

6. Bill Belichick, New England -  I don't know what to make of this.  He should just walk away (he should have 3 years ago), but to think he could be fired is strange.  But he has had plenty of time post-Brady to rebuild

The interims

1.  Las Vegas.   Antonio Pearce deserves a shot here.  Give him a three year contract.  Stop trying to win the Press Conference.  Don't make the same mistake you did with Rich.

2. LA Chargers.   The most disappointing team in years.  They'll want a completely fresh start.  I know some have said Harbaugh (because he coached in San Diego) but I don't see Spanos coughing up that kind of money. 

3. Carolina.   They'll clean slate everything but who, of quality, is going to want to work for Tepper?  I think he'll get a has-been or a coordinator that feels like they might only get one shot. 

Harbaugh Meter

1. Washington.  New Owner wants to restore the team's glory and not many coaches could have the ability to turn things around quickly like Harbaugh did in SF  

2. Michigan - Takes a year off for suspension and comes back.  

3.    New England - It's a bold move and there is a Brady-Harbaugh connection.  I think Kraft would listen to any suggestions from Brady

4.  Dallas - Could  you imagine those to egos in the same area code?  It would be like Steinbrenner/Billy Martin, but it's so crazy it could work (short term)

5. Las Vegas -  Mark Davis might want more sizzle than AP.  He should be careful. 

6,  New Orleans - Football overshadows all other sports there and a guy with Harbaugh's intensity and weirdness would play well there,  but would he want to live in Louisiana? 

7. Atlanta -  Arthur Blank seems to want to get the attention other owners do, Harbaugh here sure would do that.  Atlanta is not like the rest of the south

8. Miami - I normally would not consider this, but Stephen Ross is the owner here and that changes everything, especially if Miami collapses and does not win a playoff game (and looks bad in the process).    

9. LA Chargers - Can't see them spending and they need to move back to San Diego anyway. Idiots

10. Carolina - No, no way, forget it. 

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Hot Seat List

----GOOD AS GONE ----

1.  Ron Rivera, Washington.  -  If he hasn't packed up his stuff yet, I'd be shocked.  This is where I think Harbaugh is going.  Two Harbaughs in the Beltway.   

---NEED A POSITIVE FINISH ----

2. Arthur Smith, Atlanta. -  If they can somehow rally and luck their way into the playoffs they might save his job, but probably not.  

3. Mike McCarthy, Dallas - Look, the only reason the Lions had that shot is allowing his OC to call pass plays late in that game when they needed to drain the clock.  That was pure stupidity.  I think he needs to get to the NFC Championship to stay.   The home run swing for Jerry might be Lincoln Riley

4. Dennis Allen, New Orleans -  Thought this was an uninspired pick to begin with.   

---TIRED ROUTINE---

5. Mike Vrabel, Tennessee -  Might be that it got stale there.   If Bill leaves New England I think they will find a way to get Vrabel there. 

6. Bill Belichick, New England -  I don't know what to make of this.  He should just walk away (he should have 3 years ago), but to think he could be fired is strange.  But he has had plenty of time post-Brady to rebuild

The interims

1.  Las Vegas.   Antonio Pearce deserves a shot here.  Give him a three year contract.  Stop trying to win the Press Conference.  Don't make the same mistake you did with Rich.

2. LA Chargers.   The most disappointing team in years.  They'll want a completely fresh start.  I know some have said Harbaugh (because he coached in San Diego) but I don't see Spanos coughing up that kind of money. 

3. Carolina.   They'll clean slate everything but who, of quality, is going to want to work for Tepper?  I think he'll get a has-been or a coordinator that feels like they might only get one shot. 

Harbaugh Meter

1. Washington.  New Owner wants to restore the team's glory and not many coaches could have the ability to turn things around quickly like Harbaugh did in SF  

2. Michigan - Takes a year off for suspension and comes back.  

3.    New England - It's a bold move and there is a Brady-Harbaugh connection.  I think Kraft would listen to any suggestions from Brady

4.  Dallas - Could  you imagine those to egos in the same area code?  It would be like Steinbrenner/Billy Martin, but it's so crazy it could work (short term)

5. Las Vegas -  Mark Davis might want more sizzle than AP.  He should be careful. 

6,  New Orleans - Football overshadows all other sports there and a guy with Harbaugh's intensity and weirdness would play well there,  but would he want to live in Louisiana? 

7. Atlanta -  Arthur Blank seems to want to get the attention other owners do, Harbaugh here sure would do that.  Atlanta is not like the rest of the south

8. Miami - I normally would not consider this, but Stephen Ross is the owner here and that changes everything, especially if Miami collapses and does not win a playoff game (and looks bad in the process).    

9. LA Chargers - Can't see them spending and they need to move back to San Diego anyway. Idiots

10. Carolina - No, no way, forget it. 

Miami firing another black coach after a successful season and so soon after firing Brian Flores would be a bad look on their part.

If Harbaugh goes to the Commanders with Mayhew still as their GM he's asking to fail then. No coach could be successful with someone who is so subpar at talent acquisition and drafting as Mayhew is. I wouldn't touch the Washington job unless Mayhew was gone. I think San Diego, readymade with a really good starting QB in Herbert, would be the best place for Harbaugh next season.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1

all the stuff that came out of miami about what a jerk flores was should make a judge dismiss that lawsuit immediately.

mike macdonald (and tyreek hill) turned tua into an actual nfl qb.  that guy deserves a spot in the hall of fame.  flores can go coach defense somewhere.

9 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Harbaugh goes to the Commanders with Mayhew still as their GM he's asking to fail then. No coach could be successful with someone who is so subpar at talent acquisition and drafting as Mayhew is. I wouldn't touch the Washington job unless Mayhew was gone. I think San Diego, readymade with a really good starting QB in Herbert, would be the best place for Harbaugh next season.

Mayhew is a holdover from Snyder and I have a feeling that everyone will be gone from the Commanders (maybe even the name) by this time next week.     The sale happened to soon before the season to do it this year.   I doubt the new owner wants any stench from the Snyder era removed (including the stadium, which literally pours sewage on fans).   

17 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Mayhew is a holdover from Snyder and I have a feeling that everyone will be gone from the Commanders (maybe even the name) by this time next week.     The sale happened to soon before the season to do it this year.   I doubt the new owner wants any stench from the Snyder era removed (including the stadium, which literally pours sewage on fans).   

I expect there to be a complete front office house cleaning. Rivera actually hired Mayhew. I haven't scoured the Harris sports empire for clues on who might be next.The 76's and Devils may give some more enterprising better clues.

The Commanders did hire Eugene Shen as VP of Football Strategy earlier this season and Chen was actively involved in the two big Washington trades. 

That said I'm still pulling for Ray Agnew to get the Commanders GM job.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Ben Johnson should spend some more years as a coordinator so he can better connect with his players before becoming a head coach.

Johnson hasn't proved he can do anything with an offense that doesn't include Brock Wright in it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Rated how? Based on how the player views them as a successful coach/coordinator? Based on if they like to play for them? Based if they think they'd be a good HC? Based on looks?

31 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'll be honest, Ben Johnson does not scream leader to me. He doesn't seem like the type to go into a locker room and rally the troops. I get that vibe from Glenn. Being a former player helps. I get Brandon Staley energy from Johnson. 

Is Bill Belichick a rally the troops type of guy though?