The F1 Thread

Hongbit

Off topic again, but racing related.

Last night it was announced there will be a $1,000,000 to win dirt track sprint car race at Eldora, which is in Ohio. Half mile high banked oval that seats 20+ grand.

A few years ago they ran a SRX race there (full body cars - it was also a TV series at various tracks). Helio Castroneves did the dirt, as did others out of their element. For a million, who knows who might show up. Somebody will put them in a car if they want to, and more and more of these guy are liking the dirt (see Chili bowl (midgets) - coming Jan. 9th).

About 2 hours away. On the calendar.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Yeah, a million bucks for the winner will draw a lot of talent.  Guys that don't normally race on dirt.

Kind of already started.  There is a "late model (like a car, not open wheel)" dirt guy who dominates at Eldora. They have a race late in the year called the World 100. Pays maybe quarter of a million. He's won it several times.  Today there was a picture of a sprint car with his name on it.  He did run one last year a few times.

I know this dirt stuff isn't like F1 or Indy, but at one time, many of our great racers came from the dirt. At one time it was the same car at a dirt track and Indy the same year. I love the history and technology as it has progressed through the years.

I was at a little shit hole track in Southern Ohio years ago. 1/3 mile steep banked bowl. This place was so far in the sticks they had to pump in sunlight.  Maybe an hour from Columbus, but that night the special guest was Bobby Rahal of Indy car fame.  He was in the booth. They asked him if he would like to climb in one - nope - no way.

A.J Foyt, Mario, the Unser boys, and many other would probably call him a wussie, or something worse.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Screwball said:

With F1 wanting to expand in America, how do you say no to Cadillac?  Small possibility something like this also makes Ford want to jump in.  I suppose Chevy as well.  

Headquarters will be at the new facility the Andretti's are building in Indianapolis.  

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

With F1 wanting to expand in America, how do you say no to Cadillac?  Small possibility something like this also makes Ford want to jump in.  I suppose Chevy as well.  

Headquarters will be at the new facility the Andretti's are building in Indianapolis.  

I don't follow F! that close, but I do the racing here (in all forms), but I can't believe this is nothing but good news, in various ways.

Racing related: next week is what is known as the Chili Bowl.  Tulsa, OK, a 440,000+ sq/ft building, half of it is a dirt track (dirt trucked in), and the other half is pits. Close to 400 entries. They race everyday from 9/10 am until late at night. Well known NASCAR guys, sprint car guys, plus the nations best in the midgets all run the week.  My two oldest puppies are going along with our other bud (our race team when they are close). Dad's too old for that shit, dammit, but I also have a cat.

On 1/5/2023 at 6:50 PM, Screwball said:

I don't follow F! that close, but I do the racing here (in all forms), but I can't believe this is nothing but good news, in various ways.

I think if the Andretti's' wanted to buy a current team they would be approved in a heartbeat.  But starting a new team means another team to split revenue with, and current teams are not happy with that.

So it sounds like, if approved, they would run another teams engine until Cadillac was ready.  People are speculating Renault or possibly Honda if they come back.  It also sounds like they intend to be a full works team.

I would prefer it was with Chevy.  They are already in IndyCar and their Corvette racing teams have a lot of success.  Cadillac is building a Hypercar for Lemans, so maybe they are serious about racing.  I read Andretti would also have access to GM's tech centers in Michigan and Charlotte.  

11 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I think if the Andretti's' wanted to buy a current team they would be approved in a heartbeat.  But starting a new team means another team to split revenue with, and current teams are not happy with that.

So it sounds like, if approved, they would run another teams engine until Cadillac was ready.  People are speculating Renault or possibly Honda if they come back.  It also sounds like they intend to be a full works team.

I would prefer it was with Chevy.  They are already in IndyCar and their Corvette racing teams have a lot of success.  Cadillac is building a Hypercar for Lemans, so maybe they are serious about racing.  I read Andretti would also have access to GM's tech centers in Michigan and Charlotte.  

Interesting, thanks.

35 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Bunch of twats.

Also rumors a new rule is coming that wont allow "rebadging" which Cadillac plans to do.  But they are only doing it until their engine program is up and running.

A couple of quotes from that article caught my eye;

And in the context of the long-running F1/Andretti stand-off, it’s pertinent to consider if the bid for a General Motors-blessed Cadillac F1 project would have received a warmer response if it did not carry the apparent baggage of an Andretti association.

So it sounds like they (not sure who "they" are) have a hard on for the Andretti's.  Mario must have pissed someone off.  I can see that.  LOL!

Over the past couple of years, ‘dilution’ has been at the centre of any discussion about new entries. Liberty Media and the existing 10 teams have advocated a franchise model that strengthens the existing competitors and maximises everyone’s share of an increasingly bigger pot as F1 continues to grow.

To protect against this, the most recent Concorde Agreement including a $200million anti-dilution fund that effectively acts as an entry fee a new team would need to pay, to be shared with all existing entries. This would be a one-off payment that would give some short-term cover for how much the current teams would lose by another team taking a share of the revenue.

However, it appears that the consensus among most of the existing teams is now that this figure is too low in hindsight. They feel that F1’s growth means they will lose more than that.

The likely argument is that this raises the bar of entry for a new team even further, with full involvement from an automotive manufacturer a priority – which is clearly something several stakeholders doubt would actually be the case with Andretti Cadillac.

All these articles have used the word "dilution" but this is the first one that I read that kind of makes sense to me (clueless of F1), but this sounds like a way the other teams can reject someone they don't want by pricing them out.

The paragraph after that one sums up what I think is the correct take from this;

Whether this is a specific grudge to bear against Andretti or a case of F1 closing ranks against any threat of dilution may only become apparent as other bids enter the frame.

But for now, there is clear and strong opposition to this specific proposal, which may have got caught up in an ongoing F1/FIA power struggle as well.

I bring this up, and some of the comments in that article are along the same lines; this kind of squabbling, protection, call it what you want - can be the eventual downfall of of a sanctioning body.  If memory serves, the USAC/CART wars of years past as an example - which in the end - didn't benefit racing or the fans.

I hope they can work something out.

And I will reserve the the right be be completely wrong since I don't follow F1 that close (I am a fan of the Andretti's, GM, and open wheel racing in general).

On 1/9/2023 at 2:08 PM, Deleterious said:

Bunch of twats.

Also rumors a new rule is coming that wont allow "rebadging" which Cadillac plans to do.  But they are only doing it until their engine program is up and running.

I understand why Haas and McLaren would be very opposed.  Gene had the advantage of being the American owned team but their ineptitude hasn’t made a dent in becoming America’s F1 team.  

Zak Brown got the job at McLaren based on his deep ties to the US and the ability to bring sponsors and build the papaya brand here.  They have heavily invested in Indycar as another way to reach the market and they are having some success.   Andretti is a direct threat to some of the promises that Zak has surely made to the higher ups about his ability to grow McLaren in America.  

Speaking of McLaren and Indy - from the Indy Star; Kyle Larson to run 2024 Indy 500 with Arrow McLaren, will be 5th driver to attempt The Double

I have a love/hate relationship with Indy, but I'm so happy to see this.  A guy who gets a shot at Indy who can wheel instead someone who can't drive but looks good in sportswear.

He is also getting Hendrick money (and technology). This is good for racing.