Jump to content

3/27 @ 1:05 Tigers @ Orioles


Tigeraholic1
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Willie Castro lives as an indictment of Reyes, Hill, H Castro and  Cameron's evaluation by AJ Hinch who is desperate to find a bench player with some offensive skills. Or at lest the "potential" of some.

There’s no “e” in Willi.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Oh, wait a minute.  Now I see what you’re doing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Willie Castro lives as an indictment of Reyes, Hill, H Castro and  Cameron's evaluation by AJ Hinch who is desperate to find a bench player with some offensive skills. Or at lest the "potential" of some.

I think Reyes has potential to be a plus bat.   Either he breaks out a bit this year or he just proves to be another Ryan Raburn who couldn't hit before July but looked like an All-Star hitter in August and September, when the team no longer had a shot at winning anything.  

If you split Reyes' 2021 season in half, right at the midpoint  he hit .327 with OBP of .352 in the second half,    No real power numbers, but with his size if he bulked up a little bit he probably could show some power.  Switch hitter, competent in all 3 OF spots.  I think he's a really good option for a 4th OF guy.    He gives Hinch a lot of versatility with his lineup and defense.    If you could get .275/.330 with 10-15 HR out of him, that's really good for that role.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think Reyes has potential to be a plus bat.   Either he breaks out a bit this year or he just proves to be another Ryan Raburn who couldn't hit before July but looked like an All-Star hitter in August and September, when the team no longer had a shot at winning anything.  

If you split Reyes' 2021 season in half, right at the midpoint  he hit .327 with OBP of .352 in the second half,    No real power numbers, but with his size if he bulked up a little bit he probably could show some power.  Switch hitter, competent in all 3 OF spots.  I think he's a really good option for a 4th OF guy.    He gives Hinch a lot of versatility with his lineup and defense.    If you could get .275/.330 with 10-15 HR out of him, that's really good for that role.  

A .327 AVG with a .352 OBP based on a .398 BABIP isn’t anything to get excited about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, casimir said:

A .327 AVG with a .352 OBP based on a .398 BABIP isn’t anything to get excited about.

it's all about the alternatives. Hill's OBP last season was 313. What I think is most likely to get either of these guys a spot is for Hill to down on his Ks or Reyes to walk a little.

Edited by gehringer_2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, casimir said:

A .327 AVG with a .352 OBP based on a .398 BABIP isn’t anything to get excited about.

It would be a closer race, but the lack of plate discipline and the fact that Derek Hill is better defensively makes it hard to justify giving Reyes the final OF bench spot 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

It would be a closer race, but the lack of plate discipline and the fact that Derek Hill is better defensively makes it hard to justify giving Reyes the final OF bench spot 

Yeah, I think we’ve seen what Reyes can offer.  I think it’s fine to move on and see what Hill (if he can stay healthy) and Cameron (waiting in Toledo to start the season) can do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mtutiger said:

It would be a closer race, but the lack of plate discipline and the fact that Derek Hill is better defensively makes it hard to justify giving Reyes the final OF bench spot 

Hill's tools are better than Reyes' tools across the board.  It's an easy choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It is if you're Victor Reyes.  

Well, I’m not.  I mean, I, too, put weight on over the winter, but it wasn’t 20 pounds of muscle.  And that’s where the similarities end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, casimir said:

Well, I’m not.  I mean, I, too, put weight on over the winter, but it wasn’t 20 pounds of muscle.  And that’s where the similarities end.

Reyes adding muscle over the winter is getting to be like Bonderman's changeup.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

So who is Ja. Lopez and why was he playing SS? Just so he could make 3 (!!!) errors? What a bum...send him back to instructional league. Fire Hinch already...season hasn't even started yet and he has us out of it..../s

And who was the poster that said he would make the team ? Looks like I was "just a little outside" on that one!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Hill's tools are better than Reyes' tools across the board.  It's an easy choice.

If it's last year, you might speculate they want to keep Hill playing everyday at Toledo so that any further upside with the bat would have more chance to develop, but he and Reyes have both reached an age where it's doubtful a JD Martinez offensive transformation is still likely.

Edited by gehringer_2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Hill, Reyes and Cameron all have options that won't be a deciding factor. Since H.Castro can play the outfield and Haas also maybe Hinch is leaning towards keeping W. Castro and Garneau when the rosters get to 26 ? I mean if Badoo plays everyday the starting nine all seem to be 150 game/year players apart from Catching and Miggy. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

 Hill, Reyes and Cameron all have options that won't be a deciding factor. Since H.Castro can play the outfield and Haas also maybe Hinch is leaning towards keeping W. Castro and Garneau when the rosters get to 26 ? I mean if Badoo plays everyday the starting nine all seem to be 150 game/year players apart from Catching and Miggy. 

I think the Tigers need to find room for either Hill or Cameron. H. Castro may be able to play OF, but how good? Baddoo/Hass in LF, Greene in CF and Grossman in RF. Hitting Harold would be better off as a backup infielder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      185
    • Most Online
      119

    Newest Member
    roarintiger1
    Joined
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...