4/8 1:10 White Sox @ Tigers **OPENING DAY 2022**

Tigeraholic1

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Not specific to Meadows, but in general, aren't those two things linked by the physics? Energy transfer to the ball is the is the sum of momentum of the bat + ball times the cosine of the angle between the swing plane and the inclination of the pitch. As the flight of the batted ball diverges away from the input path of the pitch, the energy available to the flight of the ball goes down. TL, DR version. physics says you shouldn't be able to hit a pop up as hard as line drive.

Not sure and in any event I’m not saying he should be able to elevate his launch angle AND hit the ball harder. All I’m saying is that both his launch angle is way up and his hard hit is down, to his detriment  

I do think if he can moderate his launch angle to something like 17 and hit the ball harder, he’ll probably do a lot better than he did last year. 

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I also think this is true. Shep knows a lot of baseball is fine for the PBP, but he is so deferential to the ex player and spends so much time and obvious effort trying set them up instead of just conversing with them that it tends to ruin the broadcast. I'm assuming as he spends more time with Morris/Petry/Gibson that deference should naturally start to fall away and the broadcast improve --- I hope. That said, I've never been that big a fan of Gibson or Morris. Not so much because of their polish as broadcasters, but because their content added doesn't do much for me. Heck Kaline never did develop much polish as a broadcaster but he was still part of a great broadcast. Petry is a problem the other way, I like his commentary but he's just hard to listen to.

Craig Monroe has improved by miles and miles since he started, IDK - he might yet get to good. Other than that they should be looking for new talent....

I don’t know—Shep is going into his fourth year with these guys, so if the deference hasn’t fallen away after three years, I’m not sure it ever will. Remember, he was a teenage Tiger fan when these players were treading the hallowed ground of Tiger Stadium. They were his bona fide baseball heroes, and he has said as much in interviews. So he may never feel he is the equal he has to be in order to go head to head with them. 

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Last point on the broadcasts is that I think on television, if you can get two ex-players, one doing PBP, you have an advantage over one broadcast pro and one player because the two players will talk back and forth about the game in ways a player and broadcaster can't. I noticed that listening to Cone and Flarhety for the Yankees and of course it was true for George and Al, and even Hawk and Steve Stone. Of course good ex-player PBP guys don't exactly grow on trees.....

This is actually why I enjoy watching MLB Tonight, as useless as I find most of the rest of that network’s programming. When you get a couple of ex-players talking while they have a game going on behind them, you get really solid insights into what players think during games that, to your point, a pure broadcaster could not effectively contribute to. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I do think if he can moderate his launch angle to something like 17 and hit the ball harder, he’ll probably do a lot better than he did last year. 

no arg that the key for him is to flatten it out. It's odd but you do get guys who go their whole career always hitting either the top half or the bottom half of the ball and never adjusting. Alex Avila falls in that class. But the fact that Meadows didn't always hit that way is certainly in his favor. Getting back to something you once did *should* be easier than doing something you'd never mastered. Of course baseball is weird that way - look at the counter example of Dontrelle Willis. Never could regain the mechanics that made him successful once he lost them. I suppose injury or even growing into your final adult body can play a part in that as well.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If the Tampa Bay Rays were hosting Chicago for Opening Day, it would have been about 60% full and half of those people would be transplanted Chicagoans or Chicagoans on a vacation in FLA.     MOVE THE RAYS !   The franchise is very well-run and deserves a fan base to appreciate it. 

And to think thee was a time not that long ago trams like the White Sox and a couple others used Tampa as leverage to get new stadiums.