4/10 1:10 White Sox @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I will say that the bullpen isn't getting enough credit for the weekend - for the most part, they held up better than expected. Kept them in the games on Friday/Saturday

Definitely.  Hutchison was awesome on Friday.  

12 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I truly believe that in another misguided dictat from the commissioner's office, the umps have been instructed to call more strikes to "move the game along - nobody likes walks" so the guys with the plate discipline to force a pitcher to make good pitchers are the ones getting screwed. So instead of men on base we get more K's and more incentive to swing for the fences.

I don't know if I am buying that theory, however, it also wouldn't be surprising for MLB to engage in this.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

And we also need to keep perspective - that's a really good baseball team that they faced this weekend. And as discouraging as it is, considering that the Sox are in the division, I don't know that anyone expects this Tigers team to be on par with the White Sox this season or to seriously push them for the division this year. 

Overall, I don't know that my view of this team (I had them at 82 wins) changed much on the basis of this one series. From a roster perspective, they are better than they were last year overall but are still a work in progress. And really, as Scottwood suggests, they go as far as their starting pitching will allow. We didn't see great performances in the first series, but it's a long season and I suspect that there will be more good than bad.

All true, and there's also this: we have a pretty tough first month ahead of us, so we shouldn't get unusually discouraged if we start off well below .500.

Of the first nine series of the season, five are against teams projected to be among the top ten teams in baseball: White Sox, Boston, Yankees, @ Dodgers, @ Astros. Only two are against bottom feeders (Pirates, Rockies [who just beat the Dodgers two of three!]) with the other two series against teams projected to be middle-of-the-pack, and those are ALC teams on the road (@ Royals, @ Twins), against whom we struggled last year. These nine series consist of 27 games, and will take us through ... wait for it ... May 8. After that the schedule eases up some, although the Rays are lying in wait for us in the middle of May.

Point is, if we finish this stretch something like 10-17, it should not come as a surprise, nor should it be particularly discouraging. Speaking only for myself, I would find any record better than this fairly encouraging.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

All true, and there's also this: we have a pretty tough first month ahead of us, so we shouldn't get unusually discouraged if we start off well below .500.

Of the first nine series of the season, five are against teams projected to be among the top ten teams in baseball: White Sox, Boston, Yankees, @ Dodgers, @ Astros. Only two are against bottom feeders (Pirates, Rockies [who just beat the Dodgers two of three!]) with the other two series against teams projected to be middle-of-the-pack, and those are ALC teams on the road (@ Royals, @ Twins), against whom we struggled last year. These nine series consist of 27 games, and will take us through ... wait for it ... May 8. After that the schedule eases up some, although the Rays are lying in wait for us in the middle of May.

Point is, if we finish this stretch something like 10-17, it should not come as a surprise, nor should it be particularly discouraging. Speaking only for myself, I would find any record better than this fairly encouraging.

No doubt, tough first month.... .500 would be a win with this stretch.