4/10 1:10 White Sox @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

7 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Feels like a lot of overreaction to the first series of the season.  We went 1-2 against probably the best team in the league.  This team is likely .500 or slightly above, so best to manage expectations.  Success will be the development of our young, core players.

Opening weekend typically will elicit the most visceral reactions of the season outside of a playoff run

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Feels like a lot of overreaction to the first series of the season.  We went 1-2 against probably the best team in the league.  This team is likely .500 or slightly above, so best to manage expectations.  Success will be the development of our young, core players.

Avila is the one that said we had to win in April.  

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

There were terrible calls by the umpires on opening day and Hinch did absolutely nothing. I miss the days where managers would get ejected by arguing bad calls. 

Is it too early to call for Hinch's head?  

I know you're just joking. Or you should be. Hinch is one of the best managers in baseball and he's perfect for this team.

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

There were terrible calls by the umpires on opening day and Hinch did absolutely nothing. I miss the days where managers would get ejected by arguing bad calls. 

Is it too early to call for Hinch's head?  

It’s never too early to call for a manager’s head, and it would be so entertaining if you would do so over and over in this forum all season long. 😁

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Bring on the robo-umps 

for whatever reason, it's getting worse. Apparently not enough enough guys interested in becoming umps to be able weed out all the ones that should never make to the majors. Candelario has been absolutely jobbed at in at least 2 AB already so far.

But the great thing is that at least now Tork can look at this himself and know that he can stay the course rather than worry about needing to change his approach.

Edited by gehringer_2

32 minutes ago, casimir said:

They’re pitching to him like he’s Brandon Inge.

I truly believe that in another misguided dictat from the commissioner's office, the umps have been instructed to call more strikes to "move the game along - nobody likes walks" so the guys with the plate discipline to force a pitcher to make good pitchers are the ones getting screwed. So instead of men on base we get more K's and more incentive to swing for the fences.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

But... he gained a lot of muscle in the offseason 🤣

that was a pretty nice swing on the triple - rotation right down to his feet. That swing was not the Reyes of 2 yrs ago. It remains to be seen if it makes any difference to the bottom line OPS, but he certainly looks like he's giving himself a much better chance at driving the ball now.

And Cabrera scored from 1st!

I thought going into the year, that the Tigers are two years away. For them to exceed expectations this season, though, it's really going to come down to Mize, Skubal and Manning significantly outperforming what is expected. Not a great start so far, but it's still very early. The Meadows acquisition, along with Greene hopefully coming back, does make the lineup better than I thought it would be.

4 hours ago, Scottwood said:

I thought going into the year, that the Tigers are two years away. For them to exceed expectations this season, though, it's really going to come down to Mize, Skubal and Manning significantly outperforming what is expected. Not a great start so far, but it's still very early. The Meadows acquisition, along with Greene hopefully coming back, does make the lineup better than I thought it would be.

Well, Pineda ,Peralta, and Chafin are yet to be ready to pitch. It's cold.Pitchers are struggling to have the proper feel of the ball. It's early. Am I disappointed over the first series? Yes. What are the fans going to go if Tork goes 3 for 40? Hang themselves?

Tork, for example, has struggled initially after advancing to the next level. He will struggle here as well.

I am not worried.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

Well, Pineda ,Peralta, and Chafin are yet to be ready to pitch. It's cold.Pitchers are struggling to have the proper feel of the ball. It's early. Am I disappointed over the first series? Yes. What are the fans going to go if Tork goes 3 for 40? Hang themselves?

Tork, for example, has struggled initially after advancing to the next level. He will struggle here as well.

I am not worried.

Yep, with HeyAbbott on every point here.  Regarding Tork, I believe he has struggled from jump street at every pro level to get off to a good hitting start.  That trend continues now that he is 'in the show'.  Not worried about it.  Though, he should stop spiking his bat at home plate.  Now that I think of it though, I don't think he did that at all yesterday.  Someone probably talked to him about that.

1 hour ago, HeyAbbott said:

I am not worried.

And we also need to keep perspective - that's a really good baseball team that they faced this weekend. And as discouraging as it is, considering that the Sox are in the division, I don't know that anyone expects this Tigers team to be on par with the White Sox this season or to seriously push them for the division this year. 

Overall, I don't know that my view of this team (I had them at 82 wins) changed much on the basis of this one series. From a roster perspective, they are better than they were last year overall but are still a work in progress. And really, as Scottwood suggests, they go as far as their starting pitching will allow. We didn't see great performances in the first series, but it's a long season and I suspect that there will be more good than bad.

Edited by mtutiger