2021 Offseason - 2021/22 PreSeason Thread

slothfacekilla

3 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

Y'all are hilarious with your expectations and evaluations of the young guys.  Zadina has worked hard on his two way game and has a better PPG than Kotkaniemi in the same draft.  And he's 21.  I fear what you all would expect from the kid if the Wings ever won the 1st overall.

I think each of the four names - Zadina, Berggren, Veleno, McIsaac - are pretty much playing to their draft spot. Fine. But I won't lie, the day after the draft I thought it could be transformational, with Zadina a top 3 pick, Berggren and Veleno mid-firsts and McIsaac a late 1st. May have been as much a case of me drinking the Kool-Aid rather than being too down on them now 

the difference with Ras is that he can flash a certain level of physical dominance. Of course so could Mantha, didn't make him a good player - only meant that you could project a possible scenario where he is. Freely admitting that I haven't seen that much of him, to me the question with Zadina is whether he has the skill to ever draw your eye to him as a dominant player on the ice other than when he is working at an exertion level he can't sustain.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

the difference with Ras is that he can flash a certain level of physical dominance. Of course so could Mantha, didn't make him a good player - only meant that you could project a possible scenario where he is. Freely admitting that I haven't seen that much of him, to me the question with Zadina is whether he has the skill to ever draw your eye to him as a dominant player on the ice other than when he is working at an exertion level he can't sustain.

I'd say Mantha was a good player. So were Nyquist and Tatar. They're better than average 1st round picks. although were picked later than the 1st. I think Bertuzzi and Hronek play like mid-late 1st round picks, so those are wins somewhat.

7 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I think each of the four names - Zadina, Berggren, Veleno, McIsaac - are pretty much playing to their draft spot. Fine. But I won't lie, the day after the draft I thought it could be transformational, with Zadina equivalent to a top 3 pick, Berggren and Veleno like mid-firsts and McIsaac on par with a late 1st. May have been as much a case of me drinking the Kool-Aid rather than being too down on them now 

i dont think Ras is close to Mantha.  mantha was big and very skilled.  his problem seemed to be inconsistent effort.

Ras gives effort, he just isnt very skilled.  i think he has a place in the league as a big center who can get in front of the net and get/give punishment.  but a third line plugger isnt what you ideally want from a top 10 pick.  

mantha is a borderline first line winger.  he's much better than ras.

43 minutes ago, buddha said:

mantha is a borderline first line winger.  

Could be, but I doubt he will be. Mantha plays like he thinks he is Wayne  frickin' Gretzky. He wants to float around above the fray and wait for some hard worker like Bertuzzi to set him up. Problem is that he is about 1000 goals short of earning that kind of deference. 

Edited by gehringer_2