Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is dumb

Notable snubs (feel free to add your own) who are still waiting after Dolly Parton, who I adore, and Eminem are inducted:

Jethro Tull

Iron Maiden

Motorhead

Soundgarden

Bad Company

Supertramp

Smashing Pumpkins

Stone Temple Pilots

Ozzy solo

Boston

Joe Cocker

Three Dog Night

Motley Crue

B-52's

Blue Oyster Cult

Jane's Addiction

Thin Lizzy

Foreigner

Grand Funk Railroad

Alice in Chains

Tool

George Thorogood

America

Peter Frampton

Ted Nugent

Black Crowes

I'm ok with Eminem & Dolly Parton getting in.   I definitely think there are some legit snubs on your list Biff but I don't think all of them are snubs.   If Benatar and esp Tina Turner aren't in that's just ridiculous.   

I definitely agree that Boston (esp Boston), Tull, Frampton, the Crue, & Motorhead should be in. It's painful for me to say but maybe even Nugent.   I might be biased toward older artists & bands here.

Some of the ones you listed are bands I really like but I'm not sure they're HOF.

defining music genres is tough.  Take R&B.  Rhythm and Blues.  When I think Rhythm and Blues I picture heavy on guitars, some piano, maybe horns... with a.. ahem, blues tint to it.  The most mainstream I can think of would be Stevie Ray Vaughan.... or going back some of the Stax stuff, or even the Paul Shaeffer Band on Letterman.  But the acronym R&B is definitely not that.   Not saying it's no good but to me R&B is your softer black voices.  Different audiences.

In the country music PBS doc you saw the difficulty in the 60s on people like Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, and Kristofferson... country?  Folk?  

I've been to the baseball and rock & roll hall of fames.  Personally, I look at both as more of a museum rather than a career defining achievement.  Of course there are enshrined members as part of the museum, but I guess I just find that aspect to be more subjective and not quite as interesting to me.

Heck, what defines rock & roll to begin with?  Why are Eminem and Dolly Parton being inducted into a Rock & Roll hall of fame when you wouldn't find their albums in the rock & roll section of a music shop?

I visited the baseball hall and was able to see a display of Whitaker & Trammell memorabilia.  Jerseys, hats, gloves, cleats, photos.  It was great, it made me happy to see.  This was way before Trammell's induction as a player and, in my opinion, they really should have been inducted as a duo.  But the powers that be don't agree with me on that.  C'est la vie, I can't help it that they're wrong.  (And to be honest, the room with all of the baseball plaques was quite boring compared to all of the other displays on hand anyway.)

Edited by casimir

19 hours ago, casimir said:

I've been to the baseball and rock & roll hall of fames.  Personally, I look at both as more of a museum rather than a career defining achievement.  Of course there are enshrined members as part of the museum, but I guess I just find that aspect to be more subjective and not quite as interesting to me.

Heck, what defines rock & roll to begin with?  Why are Eminem and Dolly Parton being inducted into a Rock & Roll hall of fame when you wouldn't find their albums in the rock & roll section of a music shop?

I visited the baseball hall and was able to see a display of Whitaker & Trammell memorabilia.  Jerseys, hats, gloves, cleats, photos.  It was great, it made me happy to see.  This was way before Trammell's induction as a player and, in my opinion, they really should have been inducted as a duo.  But the powers that be don't agree with me on that.  C'est la vie, I can't help it that they're wrong.  (And to be honest, the room with all of the baseball plaques was quite boring compared to all of the other displays on hand anyway.)

To this day I don't get the Whitaker thing.   Is it because of his aloofness?   So what?  He wasn't mean about it, he just didn't have much to say.    You stack his offensive and defensive numbers right up there with the other second baseman and he's right there, right in the middle of the ones already there   I just don't get it.  It sucks and it's not right.  They were the dynamic duo and they need to be together there.   

The real problem is in that name.   They have chosen to continue to call themselves the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame when it really is a Museum of Popular Music.   Much of the controversy arises over what qualifies as rock and what doesn’t.  Change the name and most of the hate goes away. 

They also need to do away with the fan vote.    I doesn’t mean anything.    A few years back, Dave Matthews Band won it and they just ignored it and didn’t enshrine them and then never put them on the ballot again.   

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2022 at 9:44 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

Notable snubs (feel free to add your own) who are still waiting after Dolly Parton, who I adore, and Eminem are inducted:

Jethro Tull

Iron Maiden

Motorhead

Soundgarden

Bad Company

Supertramp

Smashing Pumpkins

Stone Temple Pilots

Ozzy solo

Boston

Joe Cocker

Three Dog Night

Motley Crue

B-52's

Blue Oyster Cult

Jane's Addiction

Thin Lizzy

Foreigner

Grand Funk Railroad

Alice in Chains

Tool

George Thorogood

America

Peter Frampton

Ted Nugent

Black Crowes

Any band that has been making music for 20+ years and can still sell out any 15,000+ seat venue in the country should be in.  

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Any band that has been making music for 20+ years and can still sell out any 15,000+ seat venue in the country should be in.  

Those are just counting stats.  I need something more substantial like WAR.

• Haha 2

The thing is that it's entirely subjective.  There's no measurable metrics or results to go by.  It's not like the artists compete with each other and there's a winner and loser.   The industry has changed so much over the last 30 years with radio being so narrow now.   Is a quality artist loved by the critics who plays 1500 seat music halls more deserving than the flamboyant cheesy artists that draw in 15K regularly?   Are both worthy?

4 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Buffett recently had a "Songs You Don't Know By Heart" release, and I was truly hoping a similarly themed tour would be a part of that, however it was not to be... On the one hand, I understand. I'm sure it happens, but I can't think of many artists that would actively avoid performing their most iconic songs and biggest hits. 

It takes a set of brass ones for sure. I saw Clutch on Saturday and they didn't perform Electric Worry which is arguably their most recognizable song.

A true touring band will at the very least have a slightly different set every night.  The great live bands will leave you guessing with every song.   While a band out cashing checks will play the same produced show every night.   

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1

I should qualify that cash money live bands like U2, Metallica, and Coldplay all play the same exact produced concert every night and still put on an enjoyable show.    It’s not like these bands suck playing live but it’s just a different motivation. 

I saw Bob Seger play a couple times on the same stand at Pine Knob in 2019, and it was exactly the same show.  And by that, I mean even the between-song banter was exactly the same.  Good thing it was awesome and def worth seeing twice.

Question for the music minds here.  I noticed in Biffs list, a band called The Black Crowes. One of the founders, as I understand it, is a guy named Steve Gorman.  He has a nightly syndicated radio show with a model named April Rose.  Out of Nashville I think.

Does anyone listen to them?  I like the music, and his tales are pretty good.  I also wonder how much is recycled material and the entire thing isn't even live.  A guy calling in for a song could have been a week ago.