The Better Call Saul (Don't look until you're caught up) Thread

I have to talk about this show, but I don't want to spoil stuff. 

Okay,  Season 6, Episode 5. 

First of all, that intro with the acapella Brahms music, with the slide rule encased in plastic.  That was beautiful.   The intros on this show are amazing. 

The fact that Howard has a P.I. on Jimmy..................that had to be something Saul and Slippin' Kimmie planned for.     They are 2 moves ahead of Howard here.   

Gus is freaking out.  Serious OCD. 

The Lalo scene had me on edge the entire time.  Talk about tension.   Dude's a charmer.  He can even charm a dog in another language.   

In Liebe - Deine Jungs

I saw elsewhere, the spicy fry order triggered Gus by reminding him of the German meeting where it was proposed, and the loose end he had in Germany. That's when he knew where Lalo was

Howard promises he'll work his butt off to get the senior citizens their money ASAP, then is baited into taking the week off over this vendetta. I don't know if that was the intent, but I could see it being the coup de gras in one way.

Mike's guys are going to be on edge and spot Howard's guys tailing Saul. Howard's guy is a goner.

This season has been fantastic.    Anxiously awaiting the return of our friends Walt and Jesse and how they spin them into the show.  

I’m not nearly as excited to learn the fate of probably the biggest cliffhanger dating back to season 1.    What happens to Kim.   Knowing this show, i think it’s going to be a soul crusher but maybe she’ll happily find her own equivalent to a Cinnabon in Omaha, Nebraska.   

This we already knew but Giancarlo Esposito and Jonathan Banks are incredible actors.    Michael Mando and Tony Dalton too.  

Edited by Hongbit

25 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Walt and Jesse really first meet Saul in the kidnapping scene. That's where Saul says it wasn't me it was Ignacio. I'm guessing we are introduced to Walt and Jesse at or after that kidnapping. Saul assumes the Salamancas are coming for him for ratting out Lalo. 

Jesse as a pro-bono client of Kim's would make some sense.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

This season has been fantastic.    Anxiously awaiting the return of our friends Walt and Jesse and how they spin them into the show.  

I’m not nearly as excited to learn the fate of probably the biggest cliffhanger dating back to season 1.    What happens to Kim.   Knowing this show, i think it’s going to be a soul crusher but maybe she’ll happily find her own equivalent to a Cinnabon in Omaha, Nebraska.   

This we already knew but Giancarlo Esposito and Jonathan Banks are incredible actors.    Michael Mando and Tony Dalton too.  

I don't think Kim has a happy ending.  I don't know that she dies, but prison or losing her law license.  yeah, I can see one of those things happening.    Saul destroys everything he touches.  

30 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't think Kim has a happy ending.  I don't know that she dies, but prison or losing her law license.  yeah, I can see one of those things happening.    Saul destroys everything he touches.  

They used the Days Of Wine & Roses theme to promote this season.   In the movie the husband is an alcoholic and gets his wife to start drinking, then he gets sober and she loses control and is destroyed in the end (open ended movie), but it is not a happy ending.   There is a reason for every song they choose.    Just like how they chose the poem Ozymandias for Breaking Bad.  It's basically Walt's story in a poem.     

Wow, I forgot about all of that.  I knew who she was but forgot about his direct involvement.  Now it makes sense.  They even "reminded" us when they referenced Lalo killing the travel agent kid.  

Damn this show is so good.  I need to find a wiki to refresh everything.  It's my only frustration is not remembering things from 3 years ago.

• Thanks 1

I still have trouble understanding Gus and the Salamancas relationship. Basically, Gus is essentially a distributor of cocaine for the Salamancas in the US? Gus wants to end this relationship and cook and distribute meth which is where Walt enters the picture? Was Gus still distributing coke in Breaking Bad? 

6 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I still have trouble understanding Gus and the Salamancas relationship. Basically, Gus is essentially a distributor of cocaine for the Salamancas in the US? Gus wants to end this relationship and cook and distribute meth which is where Walt enters the picture? Was Gus still distributing coke in Breaking Bad? 

No, from what I know Gus has been distributing Meth for quite some time already, but when Walt comes along he knows that he has a MUCH better product and he can distribute more.   That's where the Salamancas and cartel step in - because he is doing MUCH more business than he was and they want a much bigger cut which Gus does not want to give them.  Especially Hector.  

I don't know that Gus ever moved Coke for them.  He proposed moving Meth years earlier and that's why they killed Max, to scare him into not fucking with their Coke business.   So Gus went to the Madrigal people and started paying the cartel to keep them happy and Walt's product blew everyone else away, so Gus wanted to corner the market on it.   Now, not only is the cartel not getting enough of Gus's new wealth, their lesser version of meth is getting passed over. 

56 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No, from what I know Gus has been distributing Meth for quite some time already, but when Walt comes along he knows that he has a MUCH better product and he can distribute more.   That's where the Salamancas and cartel step in - because he is doing MUCH more business than he was and they want a much bigger cut which Gus does not want to give them.  Especially Hector.  

I don't know that Gus ever moved Coke for them.  He proposed moving Meth years earlier and that's why they killed Max, to scare him into not fucking with their Coke business.   So Gus went to the Madrigal people and started paying the cartel to keep them happy and Walt's product blew everyone else away, so Gus wanted to corner the market on it.   Now, not only is the cartel not getting enough of Gus's new wealth, their lesser version of meth is getting passed over. 

So if I understand, Gus was distributing the cartels meth and then he wanted his own operation to cut out the cartel? Whose meth was he distributing before Walt's? 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

So if I understand, Gus was distributing the cartels meth and then he wanted his own operation to cut out the cartel? Whose meth was he distributing before Walt's? 

Yes, he was able to distribute the cartel's lower quality meth through Los Pollos Hermanos (I knew there was something about their batter that was sooooo good).    But Gus wanted to produce his own and was likely giving a cut to the cartel, but Walt's meth was more expensive, so the cartel wanted more money but Gus was like "No, this is MY operation.  My lab. My funding. My product, you'll get whatever you get" and the Cartel was probably somewhat okay with that, but if you remember, Gus was bringing in more than the Salamanca's and it was being presented in a much more organized fashion, so the Salamancas, who are all about vendettas and punishing people, weren't going to get sown up by some gay Chilean guy with a degree - and probably pushed Don Eladio and Bolsa into a war with Gus.   If it's not for the Salamanca's there would have been no war between Eladio and Gus.  Eladio and Gus don't like each other, but they made a lot of money together, so they tolerated things. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Mike gave out the plane tickets to the crew and instructions but we don't know if they actually made it back to Germany. I feel like at some point Mike told Gus they all arrived in Germany but I'm not sure. 

On that phone conversation didn't Kai's name come up?    If it did, I would guess that Kai is dead.   I think Mike believes they are alive, but Gus had them killed or that's coming as soon as he knows where Lalo is.   I am thinking the Slide Rule with "With Love, Your Boys" has now clued Lalo into where it was made, and my guess it was made in Germany.  Will we see a sequence similar to the prison deaths in Breaking Bad and will they use a light bubbly Nat King Cole song while they do it?  

The fact that none of the boys came to the funeral meant that they were still in New Mexico or they are dead.  

I want to know more of Lalo's background story.   I am guessing he went to a prestigious school in America or England.    Didn't Crazy 8 go to Harvard, at least for awhile?  

I looked it up, it was Berklee school of music in Boston, he was accepted but didn't go.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

On that phone conversation didn't Kai's name come up?    If it did, I would guess that Kai is dead.   I think Mike believes they are alive, but Gus had them killed or that's coming as soon as he knows where Lalo is.   I am thinking the Slide Rule with "With Love, Your Boys" has now clued Lalo into where it was made, and my guess it was made in Germany.  Will we see a sequence similar to the prison deaths in Breaking Bad and will they use a light bubbly Nat King Cole song while they do it?  

The fact that none of the boys came to the funeral meant that they were still in New Mexico or they are dead.  

They may have been told not to go. They probably realize Werner was whacked. Didn't want to raise any suspicion