2022 Offseason Thread

honestly, i dont know anything about these prospects other than what i read.  and ive read a lot.

i trust yzerman enough to be happy with whomever he takes.  i'm old enough to remember being surprised by the seider pick and EVERYONE questioning it.

that said, connor geekie just has rasmussen written all over him.  i hope they dont take him.

18 hours ago, buddha said:

torterella to the flyers.  seems like a perfect fit for the philly area.

gritty and torts.

Seems like an odd choice to me with where they are at with their franchise.  They must think they are closer to competing than I do.  I would rather Torts not come in and squeeze extra wins out of mediocre players to kill my draft picks a bit, let alone clashing with any younger players if he isn't going to be the coach for the upswing.  But maybe this is the time that Torts doesn't wear out his welcome?

13 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Seems like an odd choice to me with where they are at with their franchise.  They must think they are closer to competing than I do.  I would rather Torts not come in and squeeze extra wins out of mediocre players to kill my draft picks a bit, let alone clashing with any younger players if he isn't going to be the coach for the upswing.  But maybe this is the time that Torts doesn't wear out his welcome?

that's why we need to trade them bertuzzi in a package that nets their #1 pick next year.  they seem to think last year was an aberration and they are actually close to the playoffs.

• Like 1

The Athletic's newest mock between Pronman and an anonymous front office person gave the Wings Kemell and Matyas Sapovaliv, C, Saginaw-OHL for their first two picks.  The centers gone before Kemell were Wright, Cooley, Gauthier and Kasper which I found surprising so I am not sure how much stock to put into it.

Zetterberg, the Sedins and Luongo are eligible for this year's HOF class, with inductees being announced today.

Alfredsson and Mogilny are a couple of players from past years not in, but still on the ballot.

I think Zetterberg is a HOFer, but not sure he gets in on first ballot. I can see him missing out this year.

10 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Zetterberg, the Sedins and Luongo are eligible for this year's HOF class, with inductees being announced today.

Alfredsson and Mogilny are a couple of players from past years not in, but still on the ballot.

I think Zetterberg is a HOFer, but not sure he gets in on first ballot. I can see him missing out this year.

I don’t understand how the Sedin’s can get in and not Daniel Alfredsson.    Mogilny is a similar one as well.

1 minute ago, slothfacekilla said:

Anyone watch the documentary about the Avs rivalry?  I'll be watching sometime this week probably.

It was very good.   I personally liked Russian Five better for the 90’s Wings nostalgia but this was excellent.  You will like it.

3 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

Anyone watch the documentary about the Avs rivalry?  I'll be watching sometime this week probably.

I thought Canadian TV pick it up yesterday but so far no. Will see it once it pops up on Sportsnet or TSN or ESPN puts it online. Knowing the Avs just won the puck will take away some of the satisfaction though of seeing Lemieux's face smashed in again.

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I’d love for the writers to fuck with them and vote only Daniel and make Henrik wait.    That won’t happen.   They are both getting in 1st ballot because everyone loves the twins.  

Yeah, they're grown-ass adults, they should be able to do something separately by now. Vancouver sports radio was saying that if only one got in, it probably would have been Henrik.

Mogilny suffers because there is a limit of 4 male inductees per year and new guys keep being eligible. He has to wait for a a somewhat soft class. Mogilny not only has the stats, but the intangible interest as well given how important he was to the early Russian surge into the NHL.

9 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Yeah, they're grown-ass adults, they should be able to do something separately by now. Vancouver sports radio was saying that if only one got in, it probably would have been Henrik.

Mogilny suffers because there is a limit of 4 male inductees per year and new guys keep being eligible. He has to wait for a a somewhat soft class. Mogilny not only has the stats, but the intangible interest as well given how important he was to the early Russian surge into the NHL.

4 male inductees shouldnt effect the sedin sisters...

1 hour ago, slothfacekilla said:

Interesting, wonder if there is any temptation to try to trade to 2 if Wright doesn't go 1.

Zetterberg shoulda made it in over the Sedins more I think about it, seems like they're getting the nod because they're twins.

Zetterberg was better defensively and had way more playoff points too. 

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

I dont think you would like what this trade would actually cost.  

There is a point of diminishing returns on draft picks... where the value of multiple picks is not as valuable as a key draft pickup. I think Yzerman was cognizant of that year when he traded up for Cossa. And, I know moving up for Wright would be much more costly than the move up for Cossa, so maybe it's apples & oranges... but I think the sentiment might not be different.

In my mind, it is more important, at this point in time, to move up and snag Wright and try to slot him in as the #2 Center, than to have the later pick and the extra picks for "other guys". We'll see if Yzerman is thinking the same, or not...

Otherwise, yeah, OK, it's just me.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

There is a point of diminishing returns on draft picks... where the value of multiple picks is not as valuable as a key draft pickup. I think Yzerman was cognizant of that year when he traded up for Cossa. And, I know moving up for Wright would be much more costly than the move up for Cossa, so maybe it's apples & oranges... but I think the sentiment might not be different.

In my mind, it is more important, at this point in time, to move up and snag Wright and try to slot him in as the #2 Center, than to have the later pick and the extra picks for "other guys". We'll see if Yzerman is thinking the same, or not...

Otherwise, yeah, OK, it's just me.

it would probably cost you cossa, and bertuzzi, and next years #1.