2022 Offseason Thread

I guess it is time?  Hopefully haha.

I haven't watched it yet but stole summary from hfboards:

- Said Edvinsson, Johansson and Viro are coming to North America.

- Projects Sebrango, McIsaac, Johansson and Viro be at Grand Rapids. They'll have a young defence and will be younger team than latest years.

- Wallinder is gonna stay at Rögle.

(didn't mention Edvinsson to be at Grand Rapids, so IMO, he is seen as NHL guy)

- Cross Hanas will join Grand Rapids.

I am guessing CAA will be tougher negotiators than whatever Dylan had before.  His old agent apparently has the reputation of being a dick, and in looking at his roster it seems like Larkin was his biggest player and now he's mad they won't get the new contract payday.  It honestly looks like KO Sports must have contact within Michigan because their bigger names all seem to have ties.

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Could this be an indication that Dylan wants a change of scenery?  

Could be some general discontent, who would blame him? Also puts into play whether Dylan helped push Blashill out the door. I don't claim to know how Dylan felt about it but for my money the Wings were always a better team playing their best top line instead of splitting up Larking Burtuzzi and Seider into any other combinations to try and get more scoring. I think all that ever got them was a marginally better 2nd line but a much less effective top line, so if it's me, I'm not real happy about that. Of course it's also hard to believe Bertuzzi hadn't ticked off some of his teammates with his vaccine 'eccentricity,' which could have included Larkin. Larkin only said nice things in public, but that was expected. So who knows?

i'm sort of over the avs-wings rivalry until i see it again.  then it all comes back to me.  all the hate.

fuck them and their bandwagon fans that couldnt support the colorado rockies but then steal a ready made cup contender from quebec and them talk all sorts of shit.

fuck them.  fucm their fans.  and fuck claude lemieux.

signed: old and bitter man.

18 minutes ago, buddha said:

i'm sort of over the avs-wings rivalry until i see it again.  then it all comes back to me.  all the hate.

fuck them and their bandwagon fans that couldnt support the colorado rockies but then steal a ready made cup contender from quebec and them talk all sorts of shit.

Fun fact:  Mo Seider and Oskar Sundqvist are both represented by the agency run by Claude Lemieux.  Forsberg is a partner as well.  

31 minutes ago, buddha said:

I'll never forget when the sports shows did that thing where our station calls theirs and they talk on the air a little bit.  This was in the 1999 playoff series.   They get on and the Colorado guys make their usual Detroit violent city schtick routine and then Rob Parker, broken clock right twice a day kind of thing, says "Wait a minute, the bullets were flying out there" and the Colorado guys got really offended, this was after Columbine.   Parker's like "Wait, so it's ok for you to joke about violence in Detroit ?"

I'm over the milking of it.  Not really a fan of McCarty.  I see it as, you beat them, you won 3 cups in that era (1996-2002), they only won 2,  you beat them twice in the playoffs on the way to 2 of those 3 cups.  Take the high road now.  

However... I don't think the 1997 Wings experience will ever be duplicated in Detroit from any team.  Yes if the Lions win the SUper Bowl that will be a bigger deal but I'm talking the overall celebration.  You can't replicate that in February.  It was beautiful weather in early June.  Everywhere you went people were out partying, at least it was on Telegraph and other places near where I live.  The shots of Yzerman on Woodward with the cup over his head while like 500K people are behind him.  That's fucking Freddie Mercury at Live Aid Radio Ga Ga stuff.

9 minutes ago, oblong said:

I'll never forget when the sports shows did that thing where our station calls theirs and they talk on the air a little bit.  This was in the 1999 playoff series.   They get on and the Colorado guys make their usual Detroit violent city schtick routine and then Rob Parker, broken clock right twice a day kind of thing, says "Wait a minute, the bullets were flying out there" and the Colorado guys got really offended, this was after Columbine.   Parker's like "Wait, so it's ok for you to joke about violence in Detroit ?"

I'm over the milking of it.  Not really a fan of McCarty.  I see it as, you beat them, you won 3 cups in that era (1996-2002), they only won 2,  you beat them twice in the playoffs on the way to 2 of those 3 cups.  Take the high road now.  

However... I don't think the 1997 Wings experience will ever be duplicated in Detroit from any team.  Yes if the Lions win the SUper Bowl that will be a bigger deal but I'm talking the overall celebration.  You can't replicate that in February.  It was beautiful weather in early June.  Everywhere you went people were out partying, at least it was on Telegraph and other places near where I live.  The shots of Yzerman on Woodward with the cup over his head while like 500K people are behind him.  That's fucking Freddie Mercury at Live Aid Radio Ga Ga stuff.

it will always be my favorite championship.  the only other close one was the first bad boy piston championship.  they had come so close so many times and then ginally got over the hump.  

the wings were different.  it seemed like they would never win after the avs knocked them out the year before.  and then everyone picked the flyers to beat them easily.  i was out in royal oak when they won it and it was a mad house.

the only thing that will top it is if the lions ever win a super bowl.

maybe.

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

it will always be my favorite championship.  the only other close one was the first bad boy piston championship.  they had come so close so many times and then ginally got over the hump.  

the wings were different.  it seemed like they would never win after the avs knocked them out the year before.  and then everyone picked the flyers to beat them easily.  i was out in royal oak when they won it and it was a mad house.

the only thing that will top it is if the lions ever win a super bowl.

maybe.

I was lucky to be at a good sports bar, B Boomers in Allen Park.  I was part of a long planned road rally and it just so happened they booked the back room for the event.  The only downside is I went to move my car because it wasn't parked in a good spot so during that 3 minutes I missed McCarty's goal.  

43 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Fun fact:  Mo Seider and Oskar Sundqvist are both represented by the agency run by Claude Lemieux.  Forsberg is a partner as well.  

Also some sort of weird harmonic convergence that Joe Sakic is the Av's GM and Steve Yzerman is now Detroit's.

27 minutes ago, buddha said:

the wings were different.  it seemed like they would never win after the avs knocked them out the year before

To me the frustrating thing about the playoffs in that period was the huge differential in the officiating. I know this exists in all sports other than baseball to some degree, but the Wings had built a team that played a great entertaining brand of hockey and the officials in the playoffs just let the less talented teams beat up the Wings up for it. So sure, go back, add more grit and try again, but I thought it was poor management of the sport overall.

And the game we have today is certainly more a legacy of the Russian five style of play than Brendan Shanahan's (not that I had anything against Shanahan as a Wing, he was what was needed)

Edited by gehringer_2

47 minutes ago, oblong said:

I was listening that day. One of the few times I cheered hard for Parker. 
I recall during the 1998 run the call exchanges they had with a Dallas station. Went hard after a young, mouthy Dallas host, I believe he was named Rocco