2022 Offseason Thread

18 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

I have no problem with sports gambling but it is becoming too easy for people to lose way too much money just from a few clicks on their phone.  I hate how leagues are getting tied up with it now because it can only lead to bad things with the integrity of the games.  The constant ads are not only annoying but normalize betting on everything related to sports on any whim.  Nowadays kids are getting gambling thrown at them from all directions like loot boxes in video games.  I 100% would be for banning the ads.  I also drink beer but also think that beer ads should be banned as well.  Sure it is up to people to control themselves with their "vices" but I also think it is weird to not acknowledge the effect these ads have on people who may not be as strong minded as you.  I'm not sure why we would want to glorify these things except so that the companies running these things can get richer.  Yay for that I guess?

Hey if they banned beer ads we never would have gotten this. 😂

• Haha 1

pronman's new mock:

wright

slafkovski

cooley

nemec

gauthier

jiricek

kemell

KASPER to the wings.

i'd be fine with that.  makes sense.  plays in sweden, position of need.  bischel might be a sleeper.  another big, mobile left shot defenseman playing in sweden.  those dont grow on trees.

38 minutes ago, buddha said:

pronman's new mock:

wright

slafkovski

cooley

nemec

gauthier

jiricek

kemell

KASPER to the wings.

i'd be fine with that.  makes sense.  plays in sweden, position of need.  bischel might be a sleeper.  another big, mobile left shot defenseman playing in sweden.  those dont grow on trees.

I saw another mock that had Slafkovsky at #1 ahead of Wright and then another that had him all the way down at #5 with Wright at #1.     It seems things are still pretty open at the top.  

i hope were not drafting a guy because we need a #2 center right  now.  better to take the best player at #8.

now, if there is a tier of players who you think all have the same level of talent, then by all means pick the center.  but if there is a wing or dman who is above the others, then take him regardless of position (except goalie.  dont take a goalie at 8).

24 minutes ago, buddha said:

i hope were not drafting a guy because we need a #2 center right  now.  better to take the best player at #8.

now, if there is a tier of players who you think all have the same level of talent, then by all means pick the center.  but if there is a wing or dman who is above the others, then take him regardless of position (except goalie.  dont take a goalie at 8).

It's natural any analyst is going to mock a player to a team need based on 'obvious' need, and the Wings need for centers is pretty obvious. That said, Yzerman is probably planning several years out and pretty clearly keeps his real plans to himself. Actually, if past performance is any indication of future results, rank the prospects by height and figure the Wings take the tallest one left.....

:classic_laugh:

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's natural any analyst is going to mock a player to a team need based on 'obvious' need, and the Wings need for centers is pretty obvious. That said, Yzerman is probably planning several years out and pretty clearly keeps his real plans to himself. Actually, if past performance is any indication of future results, rank the prospects by height and figure the Wings take the tallest one left.....

:classic_laugh:

the tallest frolunda player on the board!

2 hours ago, buddha said:

.... better to take the best player at #8...

You know Yzerman is absolutely going to do this...

2 hours ago, buddha said:

... now, if there is a tier of players who you think all have the same level of talent, then by all means pick the center....

I think this is the main issue...

After the top 3 guys I believe the scouts are saying not much difference in talent level for the next 10-12 guys, no one stands out, or is head-and-shoulders above, and therefore...

We get mocked the highest rated center available.

Personally, I'd be happy with Savoie or Kasper...

51 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

After taking Edvinsson last season I am fairly confident that the Wings will take the best player available in their eyes in the first.  I hope it is a center.

yeah, I know Helm was too old be part of the rebuild here, but it was fun but sad watching his play against Edmonton while knowing how much the Wings were missing his skillset this season.

7 hours ago, buddha said:

would you trade for pastrnak?

doesn't get you a center....

If you are a bad team because you have a low value roster, it's hard to make trades that do you any good. The value of trading is when you have more resource of one type than you can use or a good player that's a bad fit, that you can give up to get resource you don't have enough of. If you don't have enough of anything, any trade becomes a zero sum transaction, you have nothing to give up you don't need. Unless of course you are lucky enough to find a trade partner you can fleece, and granted that does happen!

Edited by gehringer_2

Elite Prospects draft rankings:

1. Wright
2. Jiricek
3. Slafkovsky
4. Cooley
5. Nazar
6. Nemec
7. Mintyukov
8. Mateychuk
9. Savoie
10. Kemell
11. Gauthier
12. Kasper

Other notables: .Lambert 14, Geekie 17, Lekkerimaki 18

For some reason I'm really tempted to get Elite Prospects' draft guide of the Hockey Prospect Black Book this season.

2 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Elite Prospects draft rankings:

1. Wright
2. Jiricek
3. Slafkovsky
4. Cooley
5. Nazar
6. Nemec
7. Mintyukov
8. Mateychuk
9. Savoie
10. Kemell
11. Gauthier
12. Kasper

Other notables: .Lambert 14, Geekie 17, Lekkerimaki 18

For some reason I'm really tempted to get Elite Prospects' draft guide of the Hockey Prospect Black Book this season.

theyre really high on those defensemen.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

interesting.  he's tiny.

For sure, he hadn't played against very high competition before the prospect tournament last season and I was really impressed with how he's looked.  If he can stay healthy at his size they might be able to drag a bottom six winger out of his skillset.

Got my hands on the Hockey News draft kit through a media buddy, looking forward to digging into it. Just their top rankings:

spacer.png