2022 Offseason Thread

41 minutes ago, buddha said:

it would probably cost you cossa, and bertuzzi, and next years #1.

No (I don't believe so)...

I think it would cost the #8 pick this year in the first round, our 2022 2nd round (8th pick) and 3rd round (8th) picks.

Or this and next years 1sts (or a 2024 1st which would be even better), and our 2022 2nd round (20th) pick.

But I'm just wagging this. I've never followed hockey draft trades in-depth...

But I don't believe you're anywhere near correct. Aside from the fact that Yzerman is not trading either one of those guys in this package. I know players get traded in the draft, but, for example (last year's Yzerman trade):

2021: 23rd pick, 48, 138 for #15. 

That's not much to go on so... like I said... that's just a WAG on my part.

The other thing that says the cost might be lower than normal is that there are no "franchise" type players in this draft. So if Wright is a #2C and not more than that... I think a trade can be had for less cost than suspected.

22 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

No (I don't believe so)...

I think it would cost the #8 pick this year in the first round, our 2022 2nd round (8th pick) and 3rd round (8th) picks.

Or this and next years 1sts (or a 2024 1st which would be even better), and our 2022 2nd round (20th) pick.

But I'm just wagging this. I've never followed hockey draft trades in-depth...

But I don't believe you're anywhere near correct. Aside from the fact that Yzerman is not trading either one of those guys in this package. I know players get traded in the draft, but, for example (last year's Yzerman trade):

2021: 23rd pick, 48, 138 for #15. 

That's not much to go on so... like I said... that's just a WAG on my part.

The other thing that says the cost might be lower than normal is that there are no "franchise" type players in this draft. So if Wright is a #2C and not more than that... I think a trade can be had for less cost than suspected.

according to the most readily available metric (dom's gvsa value), a fair trade would be bertuzzi plus our first and second this year to get to #2.  it would cost even more to get to #1.

Bertuzzi is too much to me.

What are your guys thoughts on that?

Also, what is the possibility of using only draft picks to swing a trade like this?

That's where I would want to start... which doesn't say that either Montreal or Jersey are on board with that... Just from my POV where I hope Yzerman would also start and/ maybe draw the line too.

If picks don't do it, than we live with Savoie or Kasper or whatever under-the-radar superstar Stevie Y is able to find underneath the rock that no one else thought to look under (just sayin'...).

6 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

How about two 1sts?

Just asking for thoughts...

Maybe but I still think they would also want one of the top 4 Swede prospects behind Edvinsson.    He is still viewed as a possible franchise player and definitely a 1C.   

Edited by Hongbit

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

according to the most readily available metric (dom's gvsa value), a fair trade would be bertuzzi plus our first and second this year to get to #2.  it would cost even more to get to #1.

This feels about right looking at past trades for top picks, doesn't happen too often.  I would say maybe a future second round pick instead of this year's but I think the next draft is supposed to be pretty good...

I mostly made my post wondering if that was something that Yzerman would consider, I'm fascinated with how he operates since we get so little info.  That's all.  I think the most likely scenario is they stay put as they usually have with their first pick.  But I would love to know if he would even entertain the idea.

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Maybe but I still think they would also want one of the top 4 Swede prospects behind Edvinsson.    He is still viewed as a possible franchise player and definitely a 1C.   

I would be much more amenable to 1 of the guys after Edvinsson than Cossa or Bertuzzi. Plus whatever additional draft picks it took.

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I would be much more amenable to 1 of the guys after Edvinsson than Cossa or Bertuzzi. Plus whatever additional draft picks it took.

The problem is next years pick is still going to be in the lottery.  If they trade it, you can rest assured that will be the one time the Wings finally move up in lottery.  

Before I saw the responses I was thinking:

-  this year’s first

- Cossa

- Bertuzzi

So pretty close to what Buddha was thinking. You could maybe if you were lucky do this years first, a 2nd and Bertuzzi

is be fine with trading Bertuzzi if we used salary cap space to sign a comparable replacement. 

From the little I saw of Cossa's team before they were eliminated I'm quite confused how his team was so dominant.  Their defense especially seemed pretty awful, I hope the Wings can get Cossa to the AHL or something like that I'd rather him develop around guys who won't stand by themselves on a penalty kill while the other team passes around for easy goals.

5 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

From the little I saw of Cossa's team before they were eliminated I'm quite confused how his team was so dominant.  Their defense especially seemed pretty awful, I hope the Wings can get Cossa to the AHL or something like that I'd rather him develop around guys who won't stand by themselves on a penalty kill while the other team passes around for easy goals.

I was on board with your thoughts about getting him to the AHL until that last bit.  Sounds like he’s in the perfect place to prepare him for life in the net in Detroit.

Pronman saying his sources are saying Montreal will take Slafkovsky with 1 overall.  No clue how solid his sources are but the draft is actually interesting at the top for once.

I am not a big fan of the Chiclets guys but this should be a fun interview

Yzerman really doesn't have time for your silly contract questions: https://v.redd.it/3a9pcr24mt991

Pronman's final mock had Slav at 1, Jiricek at 2, Cooley at 3, Wright at 4, Gauthier at 5 and Kasper to us at 8....he does indeed say NJ is rumored to have some interest in Kasper.  IIRC...there was a lot of talk that we would be on McTavish or Kent Johnson at 6 last year, but they were gone before that.  C with top 6 potential are really valued these days.

38 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

With the draft almost upon us I will say I think I have settled on Savoie for the Wings' pick of guys who I think will definitely be there.  If someone like Kemell slides a little that would be great too.  I feel like with how often Kasper is linked to Detroit it won't be him haha.

i'd be happy with savoie.

honestly, given their recent track record, i'd be happy with whomever they pick because i trust them.

among the realistic possibilities (assuming jarlovsky, wright, cooley, jiricik, nemec) are all gone, i want gautier, savoie, kemell, nazar.

out of the box pick: lian bischell.  for some reason he reminds me of seider: big, good skater, pkus defender who was said to have limited offensive ability.  not necessarily at 8, but maybe later.

yes, we are now loaded with those guys on defense, but maybe he's a guy we trade back into round one to get.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 5:59 PM, buddha said:

This is an unusual draft in that the first 8-10 are very closely bunched, so it might not take as much to move up. On the other hand, why move up when you can save your bullets and get a comparatively ranked player by staying put?