2022 Offseason Thread

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Whatever happened to Mitchell Miller.   The kid the Coyotes drafted who was exposed as a horrible racist bully in high school.   Anyone ever give him a second chance?

nope.  you make some bad decisions in high school nowadays and youre never allowed to work again.

43 minutes ago, buddha said:

nope.  you make some bad decisions in high school nowadays and youre never allowed to work again.

it went beyond just dumb decisions though..............what he did was just repulsive and evil and he wasn't sorry.  He only became sorry when it f'ed with his hockey status.    Like Ryan Leaf reading that apology letter.  

Kris Draper, Detroit’s director of amateur scouting, was won over by Kasper’s compete level and character.

“Saw him in the (SHL) playoffs; it was an incredible atmosphere in Farjestad and to me he was one of the best players on the ice as a 17-year-old kid,” Draper said. “He seemed to embrace that moment. As the games got bigger, he got better. Talking to Rogle’s coach and general manager, they were very complimentary of how he responded in any situation. For a 17-year-old that started on the fourth line, next thing you know he’s on the power play and getting some minutes. He wanted to get better, and he did get better.

“Just the intensity that he plays with and his compete and work ethic is off the charts. Very good skater. We really like his skill-set, his size. All those things that we’re looking for at pick 8, he checked all the boxes for us. You got a little nervous that he might not be there at 8.”

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2022/07/marco-kasper-checks-all-the-boxes-for-steve-yzerman-and-red-wings.html

The bolded part speaks to the concern about his production. 

There was a fair amount of talk on The Athletic that The Wings were on him pretty heavily during the SHL playoffs.  The lack of pure production doesn't concern me given his age and the skill level of the league.  That and he earned more time and responsibility as the season wore on

I was watching some youtube stream called "Woodward sports" last night...I think DMac is associated with them...during the draft.  The lead host Adam...something...was touting Brad Lambert as a possible pick at 8.  Dude must have researched using a Hockey News from last spring

• Haha 1

i wouldnt say we "stole" husso, but a 3rd rounder is probably decent compensation.

both picks in round two could be classified as "reaches" based on the prospect ratings, but i trust their evaluations.  a couple of wings and no centers is interesting.  james looks like a potential bertuzzi clone who might skate a little better but not have as much offensive ability.  maybe more like a third line aggressive, big hitting power forward.

the russian seems to profile as a small, fast, scoring winger.  maybe they talked to sergei or igor about him?

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

i wouldnt say we "stole" husso, but a 3rd rounder is probably decent compensation.

both picks in round two could be classified as "reaches" based on the prospect ratings, but i trust their evaluations.  a couple of wings and no centers is interesting.  james looks like a potential bertuzzi clone who might skate a little better but not have as much offensive ability.  maybe more like a third line aggressive, big hitting power forward.

the russian seems to profile as a small, fast, scoring winger.  maybe they talked to sergei or igor about him?

I think the first guy led his league in rookie scoring so hopefully there's some offense there.

2 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I think the first guy led his league in rookie scoring so hopefully there's some offense there.

just reading his scouting reports, his offense comes from being big, fast, and getting to the net.  he's not a supremely skilled offensive player.  there's nothing wrong with that and teams need that, but he seems to profile more adam erne than lucas raymond.  a plus adam erne is a good thing.

from hockey writers, wbo had him as a third rounder:

James has all the intangibles to be a good power forward in the NHL. He has an innate goal-scoring ability while being a strong and physical player in his own zone. However, with most of his goals coming in close to the net, the question marks about his offensive abilities off the rush make it questionable whether he’ll be a top-six forward in the NHL. Given his skill set, a more realistic prediction is that he’ll fit in nicely in a third-line role where he can provide depth scoring while playing a hard-nosed, two-way game. A good comparison would be someone like Barclay Goodrow, a big, strong, and physical forward who plays good defense while being able to chip in offensively when needed.

anton johannson.  18 year old 6'4 swedish defenseman.  rated 68 among euro skaters.

seems like a red wings/yzerman pick if i've ever seen one.  taking a chance on a big swedish defenseman who doesnt provide much offense but has some traits and SIZE.  stevie loves big swedes.