2022 Offseason Thread

fabbri is coming back too.  i forgot about him.  is ras a winger now?

suter a 4th line center?

seider-chairot

edvinsson-hronek?

maata-walman?

i wonder if a trade for a defenseman is in the works?

leddy got 4 years at $4m per today.  that and trocheck's 7 year deal make me feel better about copp getting 5 years and chiarot getting overpaid.

36 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Has Chris Illitch put out a statement yet that the rebuild is over?

He shouldn't have said that for the Tigers and I hope he doesn't for the Wings.

What he should have said is: "When we make the playoffs, the rebuild is over. Until then, we're still working on putting the right team together to achieve that."

15 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

He shouldn't have said that for the Tigers and I hope he doesn't for the Wings.

What he should have said is: "When we make the playoffs, the rebuild is over. Until then, we're still working on putting the right team together to achieve that."

yes, but chris illitch isnt a very good owner, so instead he says stupid things.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, buddha said:

suter a 4th line center?

seider-chairot

edvinsson-hronek?

maata-walman?

leddy got 4 years at $4m per today.  that and trocheck's 7 year deal make me feel better about copp getting 5 years and chiarot getting overpaid.

It was a very good day for the Yzerplan.  Chiarot deal wasn’t great but the player will help and is a big upgrade.   Copp & Perron are huge adds.  Kubalik and Maatta are good depth players and shouldn’t hurt.   

The defense is still really bad.   I don’t think it would be a bad idea to shop Bert and see what other teams think of him.  See if anyone is willing to give back a legit top 4 dman.  Keep him if nobody steps up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kacie said:

I gotta learn how to post tweets!  Seems like going from Calgary to Cowlumbus is...makes no sense.  

Copy the tweet by pressing the share button (4th button under the tweet - the box with the arrow coming up).   Come here and paste like normal in the post body and it auto populates.  

19 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Copy the tweet by pressing the share button (4th button under the tweet - the box with the arrow coming up).   Come here and paste like normal in the post body and it auto populates.  

Lately that hasn’t been working for me on mobile so I have to open the tweet and copy the url.

Anyone know when the free agency period begins for teams in the Pacific Division?    

Weakest division in hockey gets weaker with Gaudreau, Burns, and Pacioretty leaving and zero FA of note signed by any of the 8 teams today. 

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1

spacer.png

I am skeptical of JFresh's model overall but I found this interesting from someone on reddit using his stuff.  We were at 82 points in his model before free agency I believe, exactly where they ended last season.

Edit: just saw he adjusted something and they're at 94 points projected now

Edited by slothfacekilla

4 hours ago, buddha said:

what defenseman would you have signed and for what money?

manson got as many years and as much money to stay in colorado.

ian cole?

Two guys I wanted going into free agency were John Klingberg and Dylan Strome. Those would have been my "splash" signings with a guy like Matta added in for depth. I would have offered John Klingberg 4-5 years at $4.75mil/year and gone up to $5mil/year.

35 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Two guys I wanted going into free agency were John Klingberg and Dylan Strome. Those would have been my "splash" signings with a guy like Matta added in for depth. I would have offered John Klingberg 4-5 years at $4.75mil/year and gone up to $5mil/year.

klingborg will get more than that and doesnt play any defense.  he's a better nick leddy.

i'd rather have copp than strome.

i dont like chiarot's contract, that's the one quibble with yzerman today.

4 hours ago, buddha said:

yes, but chris illitch isnt a very good owner, so instead he says stupid things.

I worry about the Tigers.

Illitch stumbled into a winner with Stevie, and I think Yzerman will have the Wings competing at a high level in the next five years. It would be sooner if the top of the East weren't so stacked at the moment. Some questionable moves today were brought up here, but I think he's brilliant and making more right moves than wrong, and I think with hockey's salary cap he's likely given free rein over the direction of the team.

The Lions seem to be moving in a truly universally positive direction for the first time in most of our lives, so expect the meteor to kill us all at any moment.

The Pistons (though I am admittedly least knowledgable about) seem to be getting a little lucky and making smart moves that will get them out of the basement sooner rather than later.

And then there are the Tigers. They just seem destined to be in purgatory for the next 10+ years. They have one of the best managers in baseball and he's struggling to get a team that should definitely be competing by now to 0.500. Ownership completely dismantled a team that should realistically still be competing for championships with the sheer amount of talent they had, nonsensically fired a HOF caliber General Manager in the process, only to hire his assistant to fill his role ever since? Worse, there is really no end in sight, short of Hinch pressing the issue about Avila and Illitch getting incredibly lucky in identifying a replacement (or outsourcing the search to Hinch). And the possibility of that sequence occurring (not to mention Illitch opening the checkbook a little wider) seems incredibly remote considering there is no HOF legend of a player/executive just waiting for a call to join this team. It's sad to think we could be in another 1988-2006 run here.

(not really Wings offseason related, but came to mind and it's a free country dammit! Lol)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

And then there are the Tigers. They just seem destined to be in purgatory for the next 10+ years. They have one of the best managers in baseball and he's struggling to get a team that should definitely be competing by now to 0.500. Ownership completely dismantled a team that should realistically still be competing for championships with the sheer amount of talent they had, nonsensically fired a HOF caliber General Manager in the process, only to hire his assistant to fill his role ever since? Worse, there is really no end in sight, short of Hinch pressing the issue about Avila and Illitch getting incredibly lucky in identifying a replacement (or outsourcing the search to Hinch). And the possibility of that sequence occurring (not to mention Illitch opening the checkbook a little wider) seems incredibly remote considering there is no HOF legend of a player/executive just waiting for a call to join this team. It's sad to think we could be in another 1988-2006 run here.

(not really Wings offseason related, but came to mind and it's a free country dammit! Lol)

You had me goin there till you said that. They have the worst offense in the AL, maybe MLB. But most of your post was spot on 😀

14 hours ago, buddha said:

suter a 4th line center?

seider-chairot

edvinsson-hronek?

maata-walman?

I don't know if Fabbri will come back, he's on his third acl, and will probably go on ltir.

The one thing from all the signings yesterday is not only do they plug up holes in the roster, but every player has good size. The Red Wings are going to be a big team, and soon. Especially when Elmer, Edvinsson and Wallinder are up.

Edited by Cruzer1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

You had me goin there till you said that. They have the worst offense in the AL, maybe MLB. But most of your post was spot on 😀

Haha that was confusing. I mean to say that it seems even with a great manager in Hinch, 0.500 is likely the ceiling for what the roster under Avila could possibly accomplish through the rebuild in my eyes. Not to say that they’ll end around 500 this year or are competing for it actively.