2022 Offseason Thread

32 minutes ago, buddha said:

you would take huberdeau and weegan over tkachuk and gaudreau?

i think calgary did really well in the tkachuk trade if their goal was to be competitive next year.  but are they really better than last year?

No, I said they are a better team today than they were yesterday morning, not 2 weeks ago. But I don’t think losing Gaudreau is enough to push them into full rebuild ..yet. Maybe they will go after Kadri now. 

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

No, I said they are a better team today than they were yesterday morning, not 2 weeks ago. But I don’t think losing Gaudreau is enough to push them into full rebuild ..yet. Maybe they will go after Kadri now. 

Maybe it’s not a full rebuild.  They still have some talent even though I don’t expect Mangiapane or Lindholm to put up anywhere near what they did last year.    I don’t see Kadri choosing to play for Darryl Sutter.

On 7/23/2022 at 2:34 PM, lordstanley said:

here's one thing about that trade: it will make the flames' position really weird come trade deadline next year.

they should have enough to be in a prime spot to make the playoffs next year, but its already clear huberdeau doesnt want to sign there.  so they're going to be right back next year where they were last year: superstar players who wont re-sign.  do you ride it out with huberdeau next year and try to make a run and let hin walk?  or deal him at the deadline for futures even though youre in the hunt?

i think they'll keep him and end up giving up tkachuk for only a late first rounder from florida in 2 years.

its a tough call if youre a team like calgary.  

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/red-wings-sign-robert-hagg-to-one-year-contract/c-335086576

Guessing AHL depth?  Or they don't think Edvinsson is ready for the NHL at least to start the season? Wallman won't be back for a while maybe? More depth either way.

Video from Amadeus Lombardi's second 3 on 3 game that I didn't see, has some nice hands:

• Like 2

Apparently the rumor is that the Sabres (who picked directly behind the Wings) wanted Kasper badly and tried to trade, it is being reported out of Austria (Kasper's home country) that they tried to trade for Kasper but the Wings wanted to keep him. https://themalikreport.com/2022/07/26/roughly-translated-the-buffalo-sabres-wanted-marco-kasper-at-9th-overall-but-detroit-got-their-man-with-pick-8/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

It's a pretty good bet that we all know someone going through the same struggles.

It runs in both of my families (although thankfully not with my immediate family members), so the risks were drilled into me from early age and assumed I could be more vulnerable than average. 

Apparently Klingberg fired his agent and is hiring a new one. That tells me they overplayed their hand and overestimated his value on the market. it also seems to suggest that Klingberg wanted a massive pay day this year, well beyond what teams thought he was worth, given the team-friendly contract he had been on with Dallas. Maybe it's best the Wings didn't bite on signing him and patience proved its worth.

On 7/28/2022 at 10:27 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Apparently Klingberg fired his agent and is hiring a new one. That tells me they overplayed their hand and overestimated his value on the market. it also seems to suggest that Klingberg wanted a massive pay day this year, well beyond what teams thought he was worth, given the team-friendly contract he had been on with Dallas. Maybe it's best the Wings didn't bite on signing him and patience proved its worth.

I was amused to see this guy’s ranking of still-available free agent defensemen. Look at the 2nd pairing