2022 Offseason Thread

55 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Terrible signings by Kenny. Mike Smith had a 2.81 GAA, which was 30th among starting goalies this season. Typical Kenny, didn't have a plan in place to go with someone younger and tried relying on an almost 40 year old veteran. He resigned Mike Smith when he was 38 to a 2 year deal I believe as well.

Kenny was gifted McDavid and Draisaitl to build a team around. Outside of Evander Kane and maybe the Hyman signing, what are the strong moves Kenny has made to elevate the team around those two?

He made solid moves that helped them go farther than any Oilers team in 15 years.   He did a good job last year.  The results speak for themselves.  There’s nothing more to debate.   

Guessing he didn't have the market he thought he'd have, now they're waiting for the dust to settle to figure out what's the best move for them moving forward.  Plus there are rumors that teams are trying to move salary cap for Kadri, so that type of stuff could be at play with Klingberg too maybe?

The Athletic lists the Wings as a possible suitor for Matthew Tkuchuk.  They talk about a trade package centered around Bert or Vrana that also has either Hronek or Zadina and one of their good prospects not named Edvinsson or Kasper.

Replacing Bert with Tkachuk on the top line and PP would be huge.  I’m sure Stevie can sell Tkachuk on the plan and if they could pull it off it would accelerate the timeline to make them a legit playoff contender now. 

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The Athletic lists the Wings as a possible suitor for Matthew Tkuchuk.  They talk about a trade package centered around Bert or Vrana that also has either Hronek or Zadina and one of their good prospects not named Edvinsson or Kasper.

Replacing Bert with Tkachuk on the top line and PP would be huge.  I’m sure Stevie can sell Tkachuk on the plan and if they could pull it off it would accelerate the timeline to make them a legit playoff contender now. 

i cant imagine any package for tkachuk doesnt include a 2023 first round pick.

Were I Yzerman I would inquire about Matthew Tkuchuk. He's the kind of offensive player that can really accelerate this rebuild. Not very many chances to get a 24 year old, legit 40 goal scorer, capable of getting 90-100+ points in a season. I would assume a trade involving Tkuchuk means at least a semi-rebuild is starting in Calgary.  I think the package I would initially offer would look something like this: . . .

Flames Get: Wings 2023 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Round Picks + Tyler Bertuzzi + Filip Hronek

Wings Get: Matthew Tkuchuk

Does that get it done? Too much, not enough?

38 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

As opposed to a player like Hronek or a non-1stround draft pick? Or as an in addition to all the the aforementioned picks and players?

In addition to Bert and Hronek and in lieu of a 1st rounder next year.   

4 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

In addition to Bert and Hronek and in lieu of a 1st rounder next year.   

I guess it depends then on which direction Calgary is looking to take. No way they will be close to being as competitive as they were last year without Gaudreau and Tkchuck on the roster. So are they retooling or flat out rebuilding. If it is a full scale rebuild I could see them wanting our 1st and/or multiple 1sts. If they are retooling, your idea of giving up Bert + Hronek + some combo of Berggren/Elmer/Wallinder would seem to be the more realistic option as it gets them more NHL-ready players now.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I guess it depends then on which direction Calgary is looking to take. No way they will be close to being as competitive as they were last year without Gaudreau and Tkchuck on the roster. So are they retooling or flat out rebuilding. If it is a full scale rebuild I could see them wanting our 1st and/or multiple 1sts. If they are retooling, your idea of giving up Bert + Hronek + some combo of Berggren/Elmer/Wallinder would seem to be the more realistic option as it gets them more NHL-ready players now.

There’s a big advantage in a rebuild playing in the easiest division in hockey. Calgary may not have to tear it all the way down.  

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Were I Yzerman I would inquire about Matthew Tkuchuk. He's the kind of offensive player that can really accelerate this rebuild. Not very many chances to get a 24 year old, legit 40 goal scorer, capable of getting 90-100+ points in a season. I would assume a trade involving Tkuchuk means at least a semi-rebuild is starting in Calgary.  I think the package I would initially offer would look something like this: . . .

Flames Get: Wings 2023 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Round Picks + Tyler Bertuzzi + Filip Hronek

i wouldnt do that.  

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

i guess if i had a top 2 protection for next year i might.  and i would need a contract in place with tkachuk before the move.

If they add Tkuchuk, I don’t see them finishing low enough to have more than a 2% chance of moving up.   Granted the way things have gone, they will probably finish 14th worse and then finally get lucky and move up.   You have to play the percentages and 98% is pretty good.

The latter is without question.  A long term deal needs to be agreed to before any trade.

Edited by Hongbit

9 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

One more point of consideration, would Bertuzzi even be allowed to skate for a Canadian team given his vaccine status?

We have just been in Canada and the Vax requirement is very much still in place so I suppose he would have to agree to be vaxxed for any deal to a Canadian team to complete.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 hours ago, Hongbit said:

if it were bert, zadina, wallinder, and soderblum i would do it.  bert, zadina, and a first i would do too.

all dependent on the contract but i assume he gets 7-8 years at $10 mil.  do they make him higher paid than the team captain?

not often you get a 100 point power forward available.

i wonder if he'd even consider detroit since he has said he wants to be in a major media market?  jersey more likely.  they have the prospects and the cap space.  dallas too.

5 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I'm not sure Tkachuk would even want to play in Detroit myself... everything I see links him to teams more competitive than the Wings.

1) ive seen the same things

2) plus detroit isnt a big market

3) if he DOES come to detroit, it makes them pretty damn competitive, imo.  not colorado or tampa yet, but getting there.  gives them two superstar players (him and seider) along with a solid B+ center and an up and coming scorer in raymond.  a solid second line.  and up and coming defense prospects.

but if that's what were hanging our hat on (going to be competitive real soon) then why wouldnt he go to jersey?  they have a bigger market (kind of, no one in new york cares about them but they are there), higher ranked prospects, and a team that should be more competitive next year.  

11 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I'm not sure Tkachuk would even want to play in Detroit myself... everything I see links him to teams more competitive than the Wings.

He does not want to come to Detroit but I made the assumption that Stevie can lay out his plan and talk him into it. 

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I’d do that.