2022 Offseason Thread

The Chiarot deal looks a little less awful when one looks at the Gudbranson signing.  They definitely seem to be trending towards guys who are "hard to play against".  Guys like Suter and Lindstrom who looked pretty easy to muscle off the puck should be concerned.

If I'm Joe Veleno I come to camp looking focusing on checking and killing penalties because the top three C's are likely going to be Larkin, Copp and Rasmussen.  Although I prefer Ras on the wing...they've spent a lot of time talking about his ablity to become a big, physical shutdown C

46 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

The Chiarot deal looks a little less awful when one looks at the Gudbranson signing.  They definitely seem to be trending towards guys who are "hard to play against".  Guys like Suter and Lindstrom who looked pretty easy to muscle off the puck should be concerned.

If I'm Joe Veleno I come to camp looking focusing on checking and killing penalties because the top three C's are likely going to be Larkin, Copp and Rasmussen.  Although I prefer Ras on the wing...they've spent a lot of time talking about his ablity to become a big, physical shutdown C

Yeah Chiarot is like 235 lbs. I think he is now the heaviest guy on the roster. This team is not going to get pushed around. 

14 hours ago, buddha said:

klingborg will get more than that and doesnt play any defense.  he's a better nick leddy.

i'd rather have copp than strome.

i dont like chiarot's contract, that's the one quibble with yzerman today.

We ranked 25th in total team goals and had a -82 goal differential. If Klingberg can help facilitate more offense, he had 41 assists versus Nick Leddy who had 21 in 21-22, then that's a guy I want on my team. We need offensive production more than we need defensive defenseman. I trust Yzerman and believe he made solid moves yesterday. I would have rather given the Chariot money to a guy like Klingberg though who can help drive offensive production.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

We ranked 25th in total team goals and had a -82 goal differential. If Klingberg can help facilitate more offense, he had 41 assists versus Nick Leddy who had 21 in 21-22, then that's a guy I want on my team. We need offensive production more than we need defensive defenseman. I trust Yzerman and believe he made solid moves yesterday. I would have rather given the Chariot money to a guy like Klingberg though who can help drive offensive production.

you'd rather have klinborg at 7 years for more money (klinborg is 30 now and declining)?

i'll take the shorter deal.

we'll see what he gets on the market.  heck, they could still sign him.

Who wants Klingberg at 7 years? I didn't say that. I mentioned previously 4-5 years at $4.75mil/year and would have gone up to $5mil/year. Look, I'm not going to cry about going with Chiarot over Klingberg. I just would have preferred Klingberg instead. Maybe we'll still get him and hopefully Chairot isn't on the downside of his career.

47 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Who wants Klingberg at 7 years? I didn't say that. I mentioned previously 4-5 years at $4.75mil/year and would have gone up to $5mil/year. Look, I'm not going to cry about going with Chiarot over Klingberg. I just would have preferred Klingberg instead. Maybe we'll still get him and hopefully Chairot isn't on the downside of his career.

yeah, and i want johny gaudreau at 5 years $5 million...

i dont think you'll get klinborg for that, but we'll see.

• Haha 1

I thought Cossa looked okay at best in the first game (played the first two periods).  He made a couple nice saves but also one goal by Ethan Phillips was a long range shot that beat him cleanly on the glove side.  He looks like a kid still getting used to his body and not comfortable with everything yet.  I thought his movement was choppy/awkward on the Phillips goal and his glove hand was awfully positioned.  But it is also a 3 on 3 tournament where he saw a lot of breakaways/odd man rushes so a different beast.

Game 2 is great to watch so far, Edvinsson on one side and Kasper on the other.  Edvinsson looks good for showing up this morning from Sweden and apparently wearing borrowed gear (he does look tired as hell though).  Kasper looks really good.  Amadeus Lombardi has some skill and Viro looks nice on defense.  It is nice seeing Mazur and Wallinder too.

Edited by slothfacekilla
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Just curious..... What else would the Wings need to add to be legitimate contenders for the cup? Or is it just the development of the younger guys we have now?

better players.  their best players arent close to guys on colorado or tampa or toronto, to name a few.

lottery luck and/or draft luck would help immensely.  

larkin is great, but he's closer to a #2c than someone like mcdavid or mackinnon.  and he's their best forward.  raymond has potential.  seider is a beast but he's one guy.  they need at least one more of him on defense and then three of him up front.

there are a lot of ways to build a hockey team, but you have to have talent in all of them.  the wings just need more talent and they have to hit on a couple guys late in the draft.  we'll see if soderblum and mazur are those types and can be our brayden points and ondrej palats.

8 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Just curious..... What else would the Wings need to add to be legitimate contenders for the cup? Or is it just the development of the younger guys we have now?

I think what Buddha said is true. We don't have superstar players on this team outside of Seider and it shows on the ice. Larkin isn't a #1 centre on a Stanley Cup winning team, I don't think. Neither he, nor anyone else on this roster, sans maybe Raymond one day, is going to be a perennial 40+ goal scorer. I think in general we lack not only a 40 goal scorer, but an offensive player who can take over the game and dominate.

Missing out on guys like Jack Hughes in the lottery hurts when you're in need of a #1, top line Center. I think Larkin is a very nice player, but I don't think he's carrying us to the Cup ala Datsyuk or Z back in the 2000's. We need a superstar, scoring more than 31 goals on average in a season, to lead and quarterback this offense. I don't know where we are going to get that player and I'm not sure our most recent draft pick Marco Kasper, who I like a lot, is going to be that guy either. We need to find ourselves a dominate offensive playmaker and it would be real nice if that person just happened to play centre and could quarterback our offense.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think what Buddha said is true. We don't have superstar players on this team outside of Seider and it shows on the ice. Larkin isn't a #1 centre on a Stanley Cup winning team, I don't think. Neither he, nor anyone else on this roster, sans maybe Raymond one day, is going to be a perennial 40+ goal scorer. I think in general we lack not only a 40 goal scorer, but an offensive player who can take over the game and dominate.

Missing out on guys like Jack Hughes in the lottery hurts when you're in need of a #1, top line Center. I think Larkin is a very nice player, but I don't think he's carrying us to the Cup ala Datsyuk or Z back in the 2000's. We need a superstar, scoring more than 31 goals on average in a season, to lead and quarterback this offense. I don't know where we are going to get that player and I'm not sure our most recent draft pick Marco Kasper, who I like a lot, is going to be that guy either. We need to find ourselves a dominate offensive playmaker and it would be real nice if that person just happened to play centre and could quarterback our offense.

So I'm assuming those guys are kind of like unicorns..... Now that we've improved our team, our draft pick will likely be later and our chances of getting the #1 or 2 pick is a lot smaller. So how do we get those type of guys? Or are we now in NHL purgatory and there's not much we can do?

15 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

So I'm assuming those guys are kind of like unicorns..... Now that we've improved our team, our draft pick will likely be later and our chances of getting the #1 or 2 pick is a lot smaller. So how do we get those type of guys? Or are we now in NHL purgatory and there's not much we can do?

I would have loved Gaudreau on the Wings at the contract CBJ got him for. 

I think Larkin is a 1C if he stays healthy...this is the first year we saw him play more or less a full year  between two capable wings and he did well.  If they lift the Covid restrictions and he gets a full year with Larkin and Raymond...Bert could push 40 goals...he had 30 in 68 this year.  Raymond looks like a 30 goal guy...Vrana has been on pace to get 40 from day one here, but he's been hurt so much.  We'll see how Copp and Perron fit in.  We have the pieces to score enough.  We need the defense and goaltending to come around.  Edvinsson could be another pillar...but  guys like Johansson, Wallinder, Buiumen and Sebrango give you a shot at having six great to good to at least decent NHL defenseman for the next decade.

2 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

you have to hope edvinsson and kasper develop into top players.  they very well could.  yzerman has had his first two picks turn into instant good players.

find some gems in later rounds.  make good trades.  you dont have to have mcdavid to win....after all, mcdavid has never won and toronto hasnt even made it out of the first round.

not every team can be pittsburgh lucky and get two franchise players every time they tank.

The Blackhawks got two franchise players when they tanked too, as did the Bruins, Kings, and Lightning.

Blackhawks got Kane and Towes

Bruins got Kessel and Segiun in a round-a-bout-way (the Kessel trade netted them Seguin and Dougie Hamilton)

Kings got Doughty and Kopitar

Lightning got Stamkos and Hedman

Maybe it is Seider and Raymond for us?