2022 Offseason Thread

My guess (if we actually get Klingberg):

The pairings start out as:

Chiaret (L) - Seider (R)

Edvinsson (L) - Klingberg (R)

Pair each of these two with a vet until Simon shows he belongs on the top line. I don't think it will just be given to him; he'll have to earn it and my best guess is he'll have to eliminate rookie defensive mistakes before Lalonde makes that move. Simon might even have to beat out Maata to get that 2nd pairing (he'll be playing in Grand Rapids until he can do that... no sense in having him in the NHL until he can at least do that...); but once he does, Maata drops to the 3rd pairing.

Just guessing.

Bold prediction: The first one who sneezes between Hronek and Lindstrom gets traded.

18 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Maybe I’m missing something, but as nearly as I can tell, the Klingberg rumor is just a speculation by a blogger based on the fact that the Wings have money and Klingberg wants it. 

One was a blogger, possibly  even a fake account. 

But Jeff Marek, who is also just speculating, is legit. 

jeff petry to pittsburgh.

the same folks who are saying the wings are in on klingberg also said they were in on petry.  so take that for what its worth.

pittsburgh is going to suck in a couple years.  quick!  see who the best player in the draft is in a couple years so the league can start getting his penguins jersey ready now.  lucky fucks.

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

But every time I see there has been a new post in this thread, I rush to see whether it’s announcing a Klingberg signing. 

Same. He's been my top free agent want of the season. The fact that we could role out two lines with top-tier offensive defenceman, capable of producing 50+ points is really enticing.

21 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Same. He's been my top free agent want of the season. The fact that we could role out two lines with top-tier offensive defenceman, capable of producing 50+ points is really enticing.

They need more defensive defenseman but he’d be a nice add to this team.

Edited by Hongbit

7 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

They need more defensive defenseman.  

They had a -82 goal differential and ranked 25th in total goals. I think they need all the scoring they can get. Rolling out two lines with really productive offensive defenceman, plus the additions of Copp and Perron, could really elevate this offense. I still think we need a true, top line centre to get into Cup contending status, but Klingberg could be a big addition for our offensive production.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

42 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

They had a -82 goal differential and ranked 25th in total goals. I think they need all the scoring they can get. Rolling out two lines with really productive offensive defenceman, plus the additions of Copp and Perron, could really elevate this offense. I still think we need a true, top line centre to get into Cup contending status, but Klingberg could be a big addition for our offensive production.

I laughed at the cup contending status part. 

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

Speaking of Cup contending status, let’s assume the playoff window opens for the Wings in the 2023-24 season. Who is going to be the Shanahan who they bring in from outside the team to put them over the hump?

LOL - I get the idea of adding the player that gets you over the top, so that part of the parallel is right on, but OTOH, Shanahan was brought in to toughen a relatively 'soft' team. Looking at Yzerman's approach so far, that is most definitely not going to be the Wings problem when they are ready to look for the team's finishing touch this time.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Speaking of Cup contending status, let’s assume the playoff window opens for the Wings in the 2023-24 season. Who is going to be the Shanahan who they bring in from outside the team to put them over the hump?

I'd love for Yzerman to add one of McDavid or Draisaitl when they get tired of playing for the subpar teams that Kenny will continue to build around them.

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - I get the idea of adding the player that gets you over the top, so that part of the parallel is right on, but OTOH, Shanahan was brought in to toughen a relatively 'soft' team. Looking at Yzerman's approach so far, that is most definitely not going to be the Wings problem when they are ready to look for the team's finishing touch this time.

I've been thinking about this as Yzerman has prioritized size. I'm sure he remembers having been on "soft" teams and maybe he feels his talents would have been better suited if he had more gritty players around him from earlier in his career.

When he finally has his roster of hulks, might he then be more likely to pick up a diminutive scorer like himself -- a Gaudreau, DeBrincat, Savoie? 

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

A little early to speculate on that... But it's gotta be an offensive superstar... like a Center.

If Yzerman keeps his Cap in line, and builds a team of big, fast, tough defensive players that can create some offense (both forwards and D'men); which is what you are saying and also it looks like that is EXACTLY what he's doing... adding that 1 dominant offensive player might just be the trick.

11 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'd love for Yzerman to add one of McDavid or Draisaitl when they get tired of playing for the subpar teams that Kenny will continue to build around them.

Yeah, like this.

3 hours ago, Jason_R said:

... When he finally has his roster of hulks, might he then be more likely to pick up a diminutive scorer like himself -- a Gaudreau, DeBrincat, Savoie? 

No... NOT this.

THIS!!!:

11 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Edited by 1984Echoes

27 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Well, when you play for one of the worst General Manager's in sports it's only a matter of time before you want out.

This is an insane take.  He did a ton of damage at the end here but come on now.    He is easily in the conversation for GM that did the best job this past season.  The move to sign Evander Kane in January turned out to be the most successful of the year by anyone.    Zack Hyman had one of the best seasons of any FA signed from last years class.   

Edited by Hongbit

42 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This is an insane take.  He did a ton of damage at the end here but come on now.    He is easily in the conversation for GM that did the best job this past season.  The move to sign Evander Kane in January turned out to be the most successful of the year by anyone.    Zack Hyman had one of the best seasons of any FA signed from last years class.   

duncan keith?  mike smith?

kenny taketh, kenny giveth away.

Terrible signings by Kenny. Mike Smith had a 2.81 GAA, which was 30th among starting goalies this season. Typical Kenny, didn't have a plan in place to go with someone younger and tried relying on an almost 40 year old veteran. He resigned Mike Smith when he was 38 to a 2 year deal I believe as well.

Kenny was gifted McDavid and Draisaitl to build a team around. Outside of Evander Kane and maybe the Hyman signing, what are the strong moves Kenny has made to elevate the team around those two?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad