Lions vs Ravens - 9/26/21 - 1:00pm - CBS

RedRamage

14 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Yes, but that doesn't mean it was the same clock on the field.    But why does it matter.  This gave us a priceless gift.  An entertaining perfect Lions loss and the #1 pick in the draft within our reach.   

Next week the Bears 3rd string quarterback, Nick Foles, will torch the Lions for 330 yards.

the other thing is that there was too much time left to leave the Raven's with a short enough clock to try to sit on the FG. You had offensive momentum and the Raven secondary on its heels - keep playing for the TD once you got down there. I'd much rather give the ball back to a team with 2 minutes and 2 TOs that needs a TD than to a team with even 40 seconds that only needs a FG. Decision to only rush 3 on the 4th and long was also a head scratcher since it was the rush that was working so well for the Lion's 'D'. Football coaches think too much.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

the other thing is that there was too much time left to leave the Raven's with a short enough clock to try to sit on the FG. You had offensive momentum and the Raven secondary on its heels - keep playing for the TD once you got down there. I'd much rather give the ball back to a team with 2 minutes and 2 TOs that needs a TD than to a team with even 40 seconds that only needs a FG. Decision to only rush 3 on the 4th and long was also a head scratcher since it was the rush that was working so well for the Lion's 'D'.

They didn't need a TD. They needed one more 1st down and they could have run down the clock and kicked the FG. I personally would have tried for a 1st down instead of the TD. Baltimore was stacking the box so I would have called at least 1 pass. Do a play fake and see if you can get Hockenson behind the linebacker or throw a screen to Swift. If he doesn't get a 1st down, it still works like a run. 

27 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They didn't need a TD. They needed one more 1st down and they could have run down the clock and kicked the FG.

well, either way the idea is to keep playing for yardage. It's the same calculation - even if you get the 1st down if you still have too much clock left you keep playing for yardage - till you either score the TD or get the clock down where you kick and leave them nothing on the clock.  There was too much clock left to fold the tents when they did.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

well, either way the idea is to keep playing for yardage. It's the same calculation - even if you get the 1st down if you still have too much clock left you keep playing for yardage - till you either score the TD or get the clock down where you kick and leave them nothing on the clock.  There was too much clock left to fold the tents when they did.

Presuming they run on 1st down and the Ravens call timeout and pass on 2nd down and get the 1st down, Baltimore had only 1 more timeout so the Lions would just need to sit on it. It would be like the situation last year in Atlanta when Gurley scored. Even if a Lion broke free and was wide open to the end zone, I would sit it down before scoring. 

I’m still trying to understand what happened yesterday.  I’m not talking about the ending since that was as predictably Lion as possible.   

I’m trying to figure out how they were able to contain Lamar Jackson and hold Baltimore to 1 TD with an undermanned defense.  I am also not sure how they scored 17 points in the 2nd half with TJ only catching 2 balls for 10 yards.   They had no business being in that position yet there they were.   Good things can happen when you don’t have any turnovers  

The players aren’t necessarily better than I thought but the entire coaching staff is much much better.   They are making solid adjustments and appear to be getting the most out of the talent they have.   

20 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m still trying to understand what happened yesterday.  I’m not talking about the ending since that was as predictably Lion as possible.   

I’m trying to figure out how they were able to contain Lamar Jackson and hold Baltimore to 1 TD with an undermanned defense.  I am also not sure how they scored 17 points in the 2nd half with TJ only catching 2 balls for 10 yards.   They had no business being in that position yet there they were.   Good things can happen when you don’t have any turnovers  

The players aren’t necessarily better than I thought but the entire coaching staff is much much better.   They are making solid adjustments and appear to be getting the most out of the talent they have.   

they got a little luck from the ravens dropping two wide open touchdowns.  they also played really well on the defensive line.  no trey flowers and no jaime collins might have helped there too.  i thought okwara played an excellent game.  bryant had some pressures.  some of the dbs showed up too.

it was nice to see barnes out there, even if he got abused repeatedly by the ravens tight end.

on offense swift played really well.  sewell got beaten a bunch but the other tackle held his own.  the bears dline will be a real test next week because they are playing really well.

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Baltimore got lucky too. They scored their only TD after that fumble recovery was negated by a penalty that had no bearing on the play. They also benefited from the non call on the expired play clock and of course needed to kick an NFL record FG that bounced the correct way off the crossbar.  

That penalty absolutely had a bearing on that play, that player was part of the pile going after the ball.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

51 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Not to put too much emphasis on a single game, but are we seeing the Lions version of what happened with the Tigers this season?  A difference in attitude in the players... a better approach to each game?

I suspect there's probably a lot of the Ravens overlooking the Lions that needs to be mixed in here too, but the players do seem to be trying hard the whole game long.

14 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That penalty absolutely had a bearing on that play, that player was part of the pile going after the ball.   

My guess is that if the player hadn't willingly gone out of bounds he would have been pushed out and the end result would have been that he was at the scrum about the same time, and probably wouldn't have caused the play to be different.

That said, a penalty is a penalty and he definitely DID go out of bounds on his own.  I can say "probably wouldn't have..." all I want but who knows for sure?  It was the right call.  I don't know how much I'd call it "luck" for the Ravens, but I do suspect that had the roles been reversed people would be saying the Lions got a gift from the Ravens.