10/05/2022 4:10 EDT Detroit Tigers at Seattle Mariners

casimir

It's sort of another example of what I haven't liked about Tigers' management this season. Soto should have lost the his closer's gig when he lost his slider. There were other guys in this BP who could have been doing a better job - but the Tigers just stayed stuck in their rut with a Soto who has pretty much been a recipe for trouble for at least half the season. 

I guess it's like Jack apparently said last night (when there was no-one to hear him...!), the Tigers over value their own guys. Despite what Hinch says, throwing 100 mph is not 'electric' stuff if you can't control it and have no secondary pitches. Guy who can hit triple digits and not get guys out are  garden variety in today's game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's sort of another example of what I haven't liked about Tigers' management this season. Soto should have lost the his closer's gig when he lost his slider. There were other guys in this BP who could have been doing a better job - but the Tigers just stayed stuck in their rut with a Soto who has pretty much been a recipe for trouble for at least half the season. 

I guess it's like Jack apparently said last night (when there was no-one to hear him...!), the Tigers over value their own guys. Despite what Hinch says, throwing 100 mph is not 'electric' stuff if you can't control it and have no secondary pitches. Guy who can hit triple digits and not get guys out are  garden variety in today's game.

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that there is some people-based reason he didn’t make the move. Besides the fact that it wouldn’t have mattered either way, because the stakes have been so low all year, it might be harder to justify a move like this on a personal level to the players involved as well as his teammates. I would bet with better players in house, and with more on the line, A.J. would be more likely to make the ruthless move. Am I making sense?

Edited by chasfh

44 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that there is some people-based reason he didn’t make the move. Besides the fact that it wouldn’t have mattered either way, because the stakes have been so low all year, it might be harder to justify a move like this on a personal level to the players involved as well as his teammates. I would bet with better players in house, and with more on the line, A.J. would be more likely to make the ruthless move. Am I making sense?

It's all about changing the mindset from "hopefully/development" to "win today ".

15 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

What did he say? 

Among other things he disagreed with Petry's call for patience and pointed out how so many teams, citing Dodgers, Braves, and others, have won many times since the last Tigers championship in 1984 and that anything but the playoffs  and titles should be our goal. Raise the bar for both team and player performance. And he spoke with a strong tone and lots of passion as if on a Red Bull binge. Gotta say he elevated my impression of him..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Among other things he disagreed with Petry's call for patience and pointed out how so many teams, citing Dodgers, Braves, and others, have won many times since the last Tigers championship in 1984 and that anything but the playoffs  and titles should be our goal. Raise the bar for both team and player performance. And he spoke with a strong tone and lots of passion as if on a Red Bull binge. Gotta say he elevated my impression of him..

Shep's the only one who ever worked in sports talk radio - he knows where the audience is by now.

• Like 2