Wild,stupid, crazy idea...let the bashing begin

bsc3165

Offseason acquisition...Go nuts to get Verlander and Correa. Move Baez to 2nd.  C= Rogers/Hasse 1B=Tork 3B=Kreidler LF=Baddoo CF=Greene RF= Meadows  SP= Verlander, Rodriguez, Skubal, Manning, etc.   How badly do we screw payroll to entice those 2 to come here?  If they don't laugh at the suggestion....  Can Tork, Greene, Baddoo, C duo be replacement level players next year?

Justin has a player option available for $25 Million for 2023.  

Will he pick it up?  He and the Astros seem to be getting along pretty well and it wouldn't shock me if he picks it up or they announce a 2 year 60 contract.

Unless there's some things going on behind the scenes where he'd not want to stay with a team that's sitting on 105 games and he's had the best years of his career and they gave him the deal after TJ with that unknown

I think the Verlander to the Tigers ship has sailed. And every single one of “1B=Tork 3B=Kreidler LF=Baddoo CF=Greene RF= Meadows” is a big question mark as to how they perform next year.  On paper, as of today, that may be the weakest collection of starting outfielders and corner infielders in the league. 

Edited by lordstanley

Oh, I definitely agree with both your statements.  JV has no logical reason to leave the Astros, whether he accepts the player option or gets a better contract, which he should after this season.  And our corners, both infield and outfield do not currently excite me, the possibility of improvement is there but not highly likely percentage wise. My thought was getting these 2 would max out any reasonable budget if we could get them, and hope for lightning in a bottle from Greene and/or Tork. Maybe instead of Correa we after a corner outfielder and keep Schoop.  Obviously the desire for JV is both intellectual and emotional.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to see both Verlander and Correa come to Detroit.....but just being honest I believe that Verlander is happy where he's at......and if he gets both a Cy and a ring this year, it wouldn't shock me to see Justin wear an Astros cap into the hall of fame.

I think the boys pulling the levers are still too infatuated with "cheap" to make the type of commitment ($$$) that it would take to get Correa, Verlander, or other top tier talent.

Personally I think we are going to be fed a steady diet of BS  ad nauseam touting "all the young, exciting prospects" they are nurturing  on the farm, punctuated with an explanation that  signing any name brand free agent or two would obstruct the development pipeline of the "future of the franchise".

Of course I'd be delighted for them to prove me wrong. They could run right out and sign Kershaw and prove to me that winning is suddenly "important"...lol, let's see how far that goes. 😕

Edited by Useful Idiot

On 10/5/2022 at 12:34 PM, oblong said:

Justin has a player option available for $25 Million for 2023.  

Will he pick it up?  He and the Astros seem to be getting along pretty well and it wouldn't shock me if he picks it up or they announce a 2 year 60 contract.

Unless there's some things going on behind the scenes where he'd not want to stay with a team that's sitting on 105 games and he's had the best years of his career and they gave him the deal after TJ with that unknown

Double that if he wins a Cy Young and a ring for them.

Yeah no way Verlander is signing here unless we just make him some ridiculous Godfather type offer. I do feel that Detroit does have a special place in his heart and if we were better he may come here if we gave him a competitive offer but not in the shape we are in now. He didn't want to go through a rebuild 5 years ago so he's not going to want to now. 

I know we need to upgrade at middle infield, desperately, but Correa is probably going to want $35 million a year.   Was his 2022 a $35 million season?   Were any of his years worth that much?   The Twins were only 5 games better after adding him.  

They need too much to throw a massive amount at one or two players.   They need to add 3 or 4 good bats to this lineup and hope they fix Tork and see Greene develop at the same time.   

They're too far away to just go nuts on one player like that. 

Plus, I doubt they sign too many hitters until they move in the fences in RCF and CF. 

FIRST MOVE - BRING IN THOSE FENCES.   

Go for the next tier of guys.   Brandon Nimmo, Andrew Benintendi are two guys I'd love to see them get.  To OBP guys who don't need big power numbers, because with this ballpark, even with adjustments, you are not getting players who like to hit home runs.      If Victor Reyes or Akil Baddoo start more than 40 games next year, it means that your team probably sucks.   As far as Austin Meadows,  I wouldn't count on him ever playing again.  If he does, great, if gives you a guy to move around and rotate the DH spot.    As far as infield, there are not a lot of good second-tier guys.  Harold Castro is a better option than Schoop.  I'd like to see them trade for hometown guy Jon Berti because when he does get on base, he seems to make things happen and he won't cost a lot to acquire.  I'd rather see Castro or Berti than Schoop again.   Give Candy a chance to redeem himself with better coaching and hope, just hope Javy turns it around because we're stuck with him.   I can't see them spending $30 a year for Correa, Trae Turner or Xander.   And Dansby Swanson........no thanks - being on a great team hides him a bit.  No hiding here.  

As far as pitchers go...........That's a mess.  I have a feeling we'll be lucky if any of our 3 young guys starts more than 15 games next year.   Not encouraged about Skubal returning in the first half,  Mize is already lost and the news about Manning's dead arm scares me.   Is Beau Breiske going to be back next year, or Alex Faedo (who got figured out)?    We are hopeful for Spencer Turnbull's return but TJ guys usually need time to get it right again.     So what do we enter the season with in the rotation.  Eduardo (who might want out), Tyler Alexander, Turnbull (maybe) and Joey Wentz and maybe, hopefully Matt Manning.    That means you hope for someone out of the Rony Garcia, Ty Madden, Wilmer Flores, Reese Olson, Chance Kirby and Auston Bergner group to dazzle us in ST, but the way we seem to treat and handle our pitchers, we'll probably lose them to injury at some point too).  We have to try to find one or even two scrap heap starters that are trying to prove themselves again.  We do this every year and other than Mike Fiers it usually fails - badly.   

Not giving up on Ryan Kreidler yet, but 22 Ks in 78 ABs tells me he's not ready yet.   Let's not Tork him.  

I don't expect an Absolutely Everything Went Wrong situation again, but Scott Harris has a very difficult job ahead of him.  Lets hope Chris Illitch lets him invest some money into things and MOVE IN THOSE DAMN FENCES !

Edited by Motor City Sonics

On 10/22/2022 at 8:28 AM, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah no way Verlander is signing here unless we just make him some ridiculous Godfather type offer. I do feel that Detroit does have a special place in his heart and if we were better he may come here if we gave him a competitive offer but not in the shape we are in now. He didn't want to go through a rebuild 5 years ago so he's not going to want to now. 

Right. He is going to be 40 next year and will not want to spend any of his sunset seasons playing for what everyone will surely expect to be a sub-.500 team.