2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

2 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

i'd voice my concerns but i dont want to be lump with that guy

There are reasons for concern.  However, they just did a major shakeup of the front office.  It's hard to be patient given the last several years, but I think it's fair to give them some time.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

There are reasons for concern.  However, they just did a major shakeup of the front office.  It's hard to be patient given the last several years, but I think it's fair to give them some time.  

true.... I just dont buy that these guys are going to be better then last year for no real reason why... its way easier to be bad and struggle then to be good

2 minutes ago, Longgone said:

You don't need to, there's just no reason to assume the worst at this early point.

im not assume the worst ... you guys are acting like last season didnt happen because we now have a new GM. dont get me confused with the other guy i dont think theres some grand plan by Ilitch to ruin baseball i just think its hard to win and you cant assume players will get better

50 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

true.... I just dont buy that these guys are going to be better then last year for no real reason why... its way easier to be bad and struggle then to be good

They probably won't be better on the field in 2023.  I am looking to see what kinds of smaller moves they make and also looking to see how their injured pitchers progress.  I can see them not making big moves this off-season and then going for it next year after they shed Cabera's salary and get more info on their young pitchers.  

20 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

im not assume the worst ... you guys are acting like last season didnt happen because we now have a new GM. dont get me confused with the other guy i dont think theres some grand plan by Ilitch to ruin baseball i just think its hard to win and you cant assume players will get better

Oh, last year happened, it was a tragedy of errors and happenstance. All I've been saying is at least give the new guy a chance to get his feet wet. Additionally, some think buying players is the endall, but filling the pipeline and player development is absolutely the essence of a successful franchise. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

But I also think you can’t assume some of what we saw repeats itself.  Granted, Cabrera is in decline, so I wouldn’t expect much out of him.  But I think Baez, Meadows, and Schoop underperformed so much that there’s reason to expect a recovery to closer to career norms (I’d add Candelario to that, but he’s gone).  I also think we’ve seen the absolute worst of Torkelson.  So right there, that’s 4 everyday players that we should reasonably expect better things out of in 2023.

22 minutes ago, casimir said:

But I also think you can’t assume some of what we saw repeats itself.  Granted, Cabrera is in decline, so I wouldn’t expect much out of him.  But I think Baez, Meadows, and Schoop underperformed so much that there’s reason to expect a recovery to closer to career norms (I’d add Candelario to that, but he’s gone).  I also think we’ve seen the absolute worst of Torkelson.  So right there, that’s 4 everyday players that we should reasonably expect better things out of in 2023.

Replace Schoop please. I think he is effectively done.

And insert Greene as I think he makes huge strides in 2023 which will replace anything Schoop could ever dream of...

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Shop all the relief pitchers.  Relievers have a lot more value to a bad team in trades than they have on the field.  

This is true. I still think that Soto will be gone before the ASB. I of the opinion generally that there is enough assets in the organization to get marginal improvement yet this off season, and the reliever corp is where this can be done.

12 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Replace Schoop please. I think he is effectively done.

And insert Greene as I think he makes huge strides in 2023 which will replace anything Schoop could ever dream of...

I'd have been fine with keeping Candelario and releasing Schoop.

I would assume some improvement for Greene, but given his youth and generally positive showing in his rookie stint, I'm not sure how much improvement there will be in 2023.  He just turned 22.  He can be a regular but still have some learning to do, too.

I think it was when they had one of those "Wives doing things for charity" things that they showed Nick's mom.  I thought "Man, she's cute for an older broad" then it hit me.... Nick was born in 1992.  Nick could be my son, technically.  I was 18/19, it could happen.  I have friends with kids that age.  Nick's mom is my generation.  You are old too dumb ass.