2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

3 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Who thought the Tigers would still be mathematically in it into September 22?

That's how it should be every year now.  I want them to try to be reasonably competitive next year.  I don't want to hear any more "Harris has to see what he has so they can't do anything" talk.  They can try to be competitive and build for the future at the same time.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

That's how it should be every year now.  I want them to try to be reasonably competitive next year.  I don't want to hear any more "Harris has to see what he has so they can't do anything" talk.  They can try to be competitive and build for the future at the same time.    

I'm not saying he can't do anything. Of course he can do something, and I suspect he will do as much something as he can. What I'm basically saying is, I'd be surprised if he pushed all his chips in this winter and started dealing from the top of the system in exchange for established major leaguers in a long-shot bid to win a weak division next year.

In any event, maybe the key to winning next year isn't trading top prospects for established major leaguers, or even signing top free agents. Maybe the key is to get more out next year of the players we have on the team and in the system already. They've poured a ton of resources into the development function for just that reason.

• Thanks 2

Well... that died out quickly after posting...

I must've jinxed it.

But for the overall goals of 2023, I think there were more positives than negatives:

1) Let Harris see what he's got with this Org and do what he does: Check.

2) Is Kerry Carpenter for real? Yes, he's real, not pyrite.

3) Flirt with .500, not .350 (75-80-ish, not 60-ish wins: my goal): Check.

4) Let Harris, fix/ repair, goose-up, or generally complete the build-out of the Developmental Organization that this team needs to be. Avila couldn't quite get up to 100% (did he do 70% of the work but didn't understand how to finish the last 30%...? Just wagging a number here...): Apparently that's a check but proof will be over the next 10-ish years or so, starting with this year and next year and there's some positive evidence...

5) Fix all our broken bats and pitchers: Mixed. Tork and Greene both made strides at the plate... but Greene still keeps getting nicked up and missing games. Jake Rogers is fixed. But Baez's bat is definitely broken, perhaps for good. Skubal seems fixed, but Turnbull no, Mize not yet, and add Manning to the pile of broken arms Manning & Faedo did make some strides this year as evidenced by their 1.04 WHIP's). On the plus side: add Avila toys Olson & Gipson-Long and a Harris-special in Tyler Holton to our stable of good-looking arms. (I am not certain where Avila-late-round-specials Beau Brieske or Brendan White end up... but we'll see...). Baddoo, Haase, Schoop, Austin Meadows, and Cabrera are either out, or appear to be on their way, but new toys like Vierling, Malloy, Keith, Parker Meadows, etc., have either replaced them or are on the verge of doing so...

I'll take the "Fixing our broken players" as more positives this year than negative. The icing on that cake is the positive strides that Jackson Jobe made this year.

And I'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

19 hours ago, Toddwert said:

probably says more about the division then the Tigers

So, essentially the Tigers (and anyone else in the division) kind of have a leg up on other teams in MLB because, if a team in the ALC can put together an upper 80s win season, they’ve essentially won the division.

To Lee’s point, there’s no reason they can’t build the farm and compete for the division right now.  Baez’ contract is the only onerous one right now, and it really isn’t one that’s going to break them.  They seem to have a way of putting together pitching out of whatever’s available.  Leverage that, address the lineup, put a winner out on the field.  This fan base is just itching for a competitive team.  The region is probably going to go bonkers over the next playoff team.