2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

8 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Also really surprised about Cesar Hernandez getting cut, but looking at his numbers, he really hit the skids down the stretch in Spring.... his performance may have precipitated going out and getting McKinstry, I dunno

Yeah with you on Hernandez. Can see maybe Houston looking at him? I am even more surprised with ABaddoo. Speed will play a much bigger role this year and as it did in ST players like Baddoo can now help create more offense. He had a 'decent' spring... IMHO, he should of made the team. I wonder if there is more to it? He just has to go down to AAA and play well (like last year).

McKinstry was good a AAA last year. Some pop, decent speed (niether exceptional though), LHB and quite versatile (but out of options). I am not sold on Kreidler's bat yet and I think he can benefit with more 'steady' ABs at AAA. You mentioned it before he missed a lot of last year.

I will not be surprised if they make yet 'another' move soon...

On 3/26/2023 at 5:27 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

It's all in how much the Tigers brain trust think he looks and also would it be better, EARLY, to use a veteran or to get some at bats for a younger player.    In a vacuum, from where this team is right now, you want to see as much of the kids as much as you can, but, and I think this is really important............they can't start 10-24 for a third year in a row, can they?    That happens again and they lose a lot of June/July ticket sales because the buzz is over by Mother's Day.   

The thing is that Schoop is typically bad in April.    He's had a couple of okay Aprils, but when he played in Baltimore and without consulting Accuweather, I am betting they were warmer than usual Aprils and absolutely warmer than Detroit or Minneapolis.     They should put Schoop in a case with BREAK GLASS MAY 15th,  but they can't.     So they either cut him or just ride it out until the end of May, and if he hasn't started showing signs of life by Memorial Day - just cut him loose.   Maybe Kriedler, Wenceel or Lupcius make the decision easier by playing their butts off in Toledo.   

The best case scenario is he gets off to a hot start and a team desperate for an experienced sure-handed infielder (there are some injuries out there) takes him off our hands.    Hey Dodgers,  we'll take some autographed Sandy Koufax merch and a Davey Lopes bobblehead and the deal's done !

Did Houston figure out who's going to play 2nd base for them?

17 minutes ago, alex said:

Baddoo can now help create more offense. He had a 'decent' spring... IMHO, he should of made the team. I

I'd have keep him too but the counter point is that Baddoo would not have played everyday in Det because I'll wager Carpenter is going to play nearly everyday. So he only gets steady AB if they send him down. But we have enough unknowns in the OF with Meadows, Vierling, and Greene's right foot,  that he'll have a fair shot at an early return.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'd have keep him too but the counter point is that Baddoo would not have played everyday in Det because I'll wager Carpenter is going to play nearly everyday. So he only gets steady AB if they send him down. But we have enough unknowns in the OF with Meadows, Vierling, and Greene's right foot,  that he'll have a fair shot at an early return.

Agreed. Depth is of utmost importance. Baddoo just has to maintain focus and he will get a chance to prove (or not), more likely sooner than later, that he is a productive MLB player.

27 minutes ago, alex said:

Yeah with you on Hernandez. Can see maybe Houston looking at him? I am even more surprised with ABaddoo. Speed will play a much bigger role this year and as it did in ST players like Baddoo can now help create more offense. He had a 'decent' spring... IMHO, he should of made the team. I wonder if there is more to it? He just has to go down to AAA and play well (like last year).

McKinstry was good a AAA last year. Some pop, decent speed (niether exceptional though), LHB and quite versatile (but out of options). I am not sold on Kreidler's bat yet and I think he can benefit with more 'steady' ABs at AAA. You mentioned it before he missed a lot of last year.

I will not be surprised if they make yet 'another' move soon...

I kinda went back and forth on it because, really, both Baddoo and Carpenter deserved to make this team. But I think it comes down to the bat.... this team, while likely to be better than last year's team, needs offensive production from it's regulars and bench players, and Carpenter is just a little bit better on that right now. It's not hard to see him pinch hitting and having success over Baddoo as well.

With Baddoo, it's the same as it ever was.... if he can hit consistently, he's a big leaguer who will see plenty of playing time. But that's the rub.... can he hit and get on base in the way that he needs to? He showed some signs toward the end of camp but the consistency is still a question mark imo.

As far as trades go, that absolutely seems like a possibility.

6 minutes ago, alex said:

Agreed. Depth is of utmost importance. Baddoo just has to maintain focus and he will get a chance to prove (or not), more likely sooner than later, that he is a productive MLB player.

It'll be interesting to see how this season develops, but I do expect this new administration to utilize I-75 a lot more than than the previous one did just in general. So I don't think it'll take Baddoo long to be back.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

It'll be interesting to see how this season develops, but I do expect this new administration to utilize I-75 a lot more than than the previous one did just in general. So I don't think it'll take Baddoo long to be back.

For all Baddoo's considerable gifts, he's still quite raw, he needs reps. A full year in Toledo would not hurt him at all.

33 minutes ago, Longgone said:

For all Baddoo's considerable gifts, he's still quite raw, he needs reps. A full year in Toledo would not hurt him at all.

I was hoping he would make it, but what you you say makes sense.  They may have messed up his development a bit because of Rule 5.  

6 minutes ago, Longgone said:

I believe he's a much better hitter than he's shown so far in the bigs, he's never gotten regular at bats.

Definitely possible... just commenting more on some of the overly negative reactions, particular from one former member.

It's not like they gave up much to get him lol

10 minutes ago, Longgone said:

I believe he's a much better hitter than he's shown so far in the bigs, he's never gotten regular at bats.

His MILB OBP was impressive, but his BB% has dropped from 11% to 7% in the majors.  His K% has gone from 18% to 29%.  I don't see him getting regular chances at age 27 unless someone gets hurt and he gets hot at the right time.  It's not a move to get excited about or to complain about either.  He gives them a versatile 26th player.    

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

His MILB OBP was impressive, but his BB% has dropped from 11% to 7% in the majors.  His K% has gone from 18% to 29%.  I don't see him getting regular chances at age 27 unless someone gets hurt and he gets hot at the right time.  

I understand, but it's tough to hit playing sporadically, its often not indicative.

11 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I'll take McKinstry, Kreidler, Rogers and Vierling over the Castros, Barnhart and Reyes any day. Plus Maton over Candelario too.

I think they definitely improved the defense and base running with more upside for the offense.

Absolutely.  I think the offseason has been a B plus.  

13 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes Carpenter hit more consistently than Baddoo did but Baddoo has more overall value I think.  I like this Toledo team possibly more than I like the Tigers!

11 hours ago, Longgone said:

So maybe the rationale is a combination of these two comments?  Baddoo may be better overall future value, but is still quite raw and still needs to be in an atmosphere to learn more conducive to learning, including hitting against LHPs.  Carpenter is probably closer to being what he can be, and so there's not much more he'll be able to pick up with extra seasoning.  The present value of the two might be up for debate, but one has higher ceiling with more tools to work on while the other is pretty much what he will be.

Or maybe its as simple as Carpenter's bat is more valuable/consistent for a team that needs it.