2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

6 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What is Toledo's starting lineup.    Some interesting folks there

You rarely see a starting lineup in AAA. Not just roster flux, but players there tend to move around every game just to get reps at different positions and increase flexibility.

Probably too soon to say, though, since I think everybody and their mother expects some waiver action this week.

11 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Kreidler is coming off of missing most of last year with a broken hand.

Some consistent ABs In Toledo would be beneficial imo

The earlier consistent ABs probably makes sense.  He will be in Detroit at some point this season, either due to injury to an IF or when Schoop is eventually traded/released.  I suppose its possible Short might be above Kreidler on that pecking order, so there is that slight caveat.

I guess as far as bench depth goes, if the Tigers are comfortable with Vierling at 3B, Maton as a backup middle IF along with another middle IF on the roster not named Baez or Schoop probably works for now.

I forget, weren't there some changes made to rules regarding shuffling back and forth between the majors and minors?  I would like to say that there might be a pretty good amount of fluidity with a few bench and pitching slots, but I thought I had heard some of the rules might be a bit more of an obstacle to that.

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

I forget, weren't there some changes made to rules regarding shuffling back and forth between the majors and minors?  I would like to say that there might be a pretty good amount of fluidity with a few bench and pitching slots, but I thought I had heard some of the rules might be a bit more of an obstacle to that.

Have to pass a player through waivers after optioning them five times in a season. A position player has to stay down for 10 days, pitcher for 15, unless coming back up to replace an injury.

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What is Toledo's starting lineup.    Some interesting folks there

image.png.0ec3cc9ebc6d2a2621b8da787b3b4b3d.png

Tickets have been acquired for the March 31 doubleheader.  I can not wait.  I've never been to a Mud Hens' opener and I've never done the baseball/hockey doubleheader.

6 minutes ago, casimir said:

image.png.0ec3cc9ebc6d2a2621b8da787b3b4b3d.png

Tickets have been acquired for the March 31 doubleheader.  I can not wait.  I've never been to a Mud Hens' opener and I've never done the baseball/hockey doubleheader.

I went to the Hens Opening Day last year.    A very chilly day, but they won.  It's a cool stadium.    I need to go to a White Caps game this year. 

8 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Have to pass a player through waivers after optioning them five times in a season. A position player has to stay down for 10 days, pitcher for 15, unless coming back up to replace an injury.

Thank you. 

5 times seems like a lot to be optioned back and forth. 

The split of 10/15 is new, is it not?  I think that was one standard number for both pitchers & position players, although maybe not necessarily 10.  I want to say the injury replacement footnote was there as well.

What about minor league (specifically AAA) roster sizes?  I think the roster size was uncapped but there was an active roster maximum per game that was used last season.  So an active roster with a reserve roster.  I ask this because I would think it could be used as a tool for possible injury replacement on the MLB roster.  Just as an example, say Baez gets dinged up in Tampa an IL stint is possible but not affirmed.  Let's say one of Short/Kreidler is the only bench IF.  Do the Tigers pull the other of Kreidler/Short down to Tampa without activating him and Toledo lists him as inactive?

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I went to the Hens Opening Day last year.    A very chilly day, but they won.  It's a cool stadium.    I need to go to a White Caps game this year. 

Looking to be 60 & damp on Friday.  We will be under an overhang, so we should be fine there.

We didn't make it to a Fightin' Mortimers game last season and this is our first Fish game of this season.  I need a generic "Toledo" sweatshirt to attire myself for both events.

14 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I like it in theory, but he will never command anything in a trade, regardless of how he hits.  

That's just isn't true. Even a low level arm is worth the 60 abs in April instead of krider

4 hours ago, casimir said:

The split of 10/15 is new, is it not?  I think that was one standard number for both pitchers & position players, although maybe not necessarily 10.  I want to say the injury replacement footnote was there as well.

10/15 is new. I think it was supposed to kick in in 2020, but it wasn't used in 2020-21 for Covid reasons. I believe it kicked in last year. It used to be 10 for both, but so many teams were using the IL when a player missed a start, so this makes them have to sit a pitcher for 2 starts.

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

That's just isn't true. Even a low level arm is worth the 60 abs in April instead of krider

I’m not comparing the merits of Schoop vs Kreidler.  Just stating that there will be zero interest in trade for Schoop.  Teams rarely makes trades before the deadline and the other GM’s aren’t stupid.  The reason we don’t want Schoop on the roster is the same that another team would never give up anything of value and/or take on his contract.

The only reason to take Schoop north is if he is our best option or the Tigers want Kreidler getting more time in Toledo.  But not as a showcase in a trade.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m not comparing the merits of Schoop vs Kreidler.  Just stating that there will be zero interest in trade for Schoop.  Teams rarely makes trades before the deadline and the other GM’s aren’t stupid.  The reason we don’t want Schoop on the roster is the same that another team would never give up anything of value and/or take on his contract.

The only reason to take Schoop north is if he is our best option or the Tigers want Kreidler getting more time in Toledo.  But not as a showcase in a trade.

It's all in how much the Tigers brain trust think he looks and also would it be better, EARLY, to use a veteran or to get some at bats for a younger player.    In a vacuum, from where this team is right now, you want to see as much of the kids as much as you can, but, and I think this is really important............they can't start 10-24 for a third year in a row, can they?    That happens again and they lose a lot of June/July ticket sales because the buzz is over by Mother's Day.   

The thing is that Schoop is typically bad in April.    He's had a couple of okay Aprils, but when he played in Baltimore and without consulting Accuweather, I am betting they were warmer than usual Aprils and absolutely warmer than Detroit or Minneapolis.     They should put Schoop in a case with BREAK GLASS MAY 15th,  but they can't.     So they either cut him or just ride it out until the end of May, and if he hasn't started showing signs of life by Memorial Day - just cut him loose.   Maybe Kriedler, Wenceel or Lupcius make the decision easier by playing their butts off in Toledo.   

The best case scenario is he gets off to a hot start and a team desperate for an experienced sure-handed infielder (there are some injuries out there) takes him off our hands.    Hey Dodgers,  we'll take some autographed Sandy Koufax merch and a Davey Lopes bobblehead and the deal's done !

32 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What is our rotation order?    E-Rod, Boyd, Turnbull, Manning and Wentz?        Or are they going Turnbull at #2 for the L-R-L-R-L  combo? 

With the open day after the opener and then two more open days in the home opener series we might not see the eventual 'std' rotation for a couple weeks -- but I think it's pretty likely he will normally keep the left handers split up once they get past those early spacers.

23 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So MLB is trying to trademark the names of cities? 

Of all the stupid shit that's happened under Rob Manfred, this might be the most obnoxious.  

They've already ended that effort.

1 minute ago, KL2 said:

They've already ended that effort.

The fact that they tried it is laughable and it's so Rob Manfred-era.  

Are they going to start charging message boards for using team names, pictures and accounts of the games without express written consent of MLB?  

So many silly, stupid distractions.     The guy's gotta go.  

18 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Looks like Kreidler heading north.

Unless McKinstry gets that spot.... he doesn't have options at this point

Surprised by the trade. The bench is gonna be really lefty heavy outside of Vierling.

Edited by mtutiger