2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

52 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Yeah, those commenters don't quite understand that 3-4 years down the road, it's the scrap heap pick-ups that are the good ones.

Those same commenters 9 years ago this week. "Idiot Dombrowski signing this scrub JD Martinez."

I see things like this as free lottery tickets.  Sure they probably will not be anything but every so often you get a $10 win and maybe someone like this can be useful for 30 games this year before finding his natural level again.  The problem this org had over the years is riding out these guys for too long instead of recognizging when the well went dry.

16 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Cesar Hernandez was released.

good; would have been really annoying to have a 32-year old eating up at bats

Schoop won't last to June

McKinstry has a solid AAA track record of what Harris claims he wants from batters, and the LAD contingent knows him

Be careful of not recognizing the context of McKinstry's AAA track record. The PCL is loaded with hitting environments, even moreso the last two years as teams like Memphis/Iowa/Nashville have joined the IL.

The projections do factor this in, and his isn't awful this year. I did just want to provide that context for looking at raw AAA numbers for teams in the west divisions.

My favorite is how people are invoking Harold Castro in reference to Zach McKinstry.

It's not like there's an up and down choice between the two players lol.... they had a choice to either tender or non-tender a contract to Harold and chose not to. And despite Harold hitting for average, it's not like there aren't other flaws in his game, such as his defense, which lower his (no pun intended) utility

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

My favorite is how people are invoking Harold Castro in reference to Zach McKinstry.

It's not like there's an up and down choice between the two players lol.... they had a choice to either tender or non-tender a contract to Harold and chose not to. And despite Harold hitting for average, it's not like there aren't other flaws in his game, such as his defense, which lower his (no pun intended) utility

I think McKinstry on the roster is first and foremost due to his versatility rather than his bat.  I don't know much about him, hopefully is defensively better than CastroH was.  But with a roster including Cabrera (who can't play defense) and Carpenter (who plays below average defense), the versatility is necessary.

I know to some, Hinch moving guys around the diamond during spring training seemed like a joke.  But it was wise.  He was looking forward to what he would possibly need to deal with on a game by game basis.

29 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Be careful of not recognizing the context of McKinstry's AAA track record. The PCL is loaded with hitting environments, even moreso the last two years as teams like Memphis/Iowa/Nashville have joined the IL.

The projections do factor this in, and his isn't awful this year. I did just want to provide that context for looking at raw AAA numbers for teams in the west divisions.

Karim Garcia says Hello.

Looked him up.... dude hit 533 HR in professional baseball,

6 minutes ago, oblong said:

Karim Garcia says Hello.

Looked him up.... dude hit 533 HR in professional baseball,

McKinstry does also have nice MiLB K and walk rates - while still a little indirectly park dependent, not as much as other things. If those can transfer over a bit he should be an improvement. 

Edited by gehringer_2

I get a kick out of the people who don't use the term "Hittin' Harold" ironically. He's not a good hitter. I forget who, but somebody tweeted he's going to have a crazy high batting average in Coors and thus high WAR. Never mind that WAR is park adjusted.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

McKinstry had solid BB/K numbers in the minors.  My concern is that both his BB and K rates have been a lot worse in the majors. This suggests that he has been overmatched at the new level.  It also could be that he hasn't played regularly enough in the Majors to get in a groove.  The question is how does a fringe prospect get regulat at bats if he is not performing?  Regardless, I'd rather see a 27-year old player who probably won't be good versus a 32 year old with no upside.     

16 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Wouldn't mind kicking the tires over here...

That is really surprising given that the Athletics are terrible and Pache was a top prospect as recently as a year ago.  Do they have a trade lined up already or is there a personal problem we don't know about?  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

That is really surprising given that the Athletics are terrible and Pache was a top prospect as recently as a year ago.  Do they have a trade lined up already or is there a personal problem we don't know about?  

Wow, cut loose so quickly by a team that is trying to be the real-life version of the movie Major League doesn't bode well.  His MiLB OBP is only .328.   Doesn't seem like the Scott Harris type of player.     Makes me think he could be a problem to deal with too.  I mean when the Oakland/Las Vegas/Portland/Anywhere that Builds Us A Stadium A's turn their back..........

Edited by Motor City Sonics