2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Fidrych was one of a kind.  There will never be another one like him.  He was a unique individual, but part of what made him special is that nobody knew who he was until he started pitching in Detroit.  Today, we would have analyzed him from the day he was drafted.  We would have known everything about him and placed him on various prospect lists.  When was in Detroit, we would haved worried about his low K rate and worried about him getting hurt with the high innings pitched totals.  Nobody cared about that stuff back then.  Who knows what social media would be saying about him?   The Bird phenomenon just wouldn't be the same today.  I am so glad we were able to experience it when we did.  

In 50 years of following the Tigers that is my favorite year. And they went 74-87. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Fidrych was one of a kind.  There will never be another one like him.  He was a unique individual, but part of what made him special is that nobody knew who he was until he started pitching in Detroit.  Today, we would have analyzed him from the day he was drafted.  We would have known everything about him and placed him on various prospect lists.  When was in Detroit, we would haved worried about his low K rate and worried about him getting hurt with the high innings pitched totals.  Nobody cared about that stuff back then.  Who knows what social media would be saying about him?   The Bird phenomenon just wouldn't be the same today.  I am so glad we were able to experience it when we did.  

I missed out on the full bluster of it because I was just too young at the time.  I have the lore and the stories to go by.  And the legendary Sports Illustrated cover.  And the grainy Monday night game vs New York. 

Man..... to be around and following the Tigers at that time.  But you're right, there's no way it would be the same these days.  Media is so much different.  Baseball scouting is different.

Chris Shelton captured the fans' imagination.  Akil Baddoo certainly did.  These are a couple of guys that shot out of nowhere to have good rookie seasons.  But for as much fun as those stories were, I can't imagine anything comparing to how Fidrych burst onto the scene.

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They are not platooning Riley Greene.    Only time he doesn't play is if he's hurting or if he needs a day off and since he's not even 23, I doubt he'll need too many days off.   He's a do-or-die player

I'll play

Green, cf   a fan favorite already, but is he a leadoff hitter?  well, they have nobody else
Meadows, rf,   he still gets on base, hopefully he finds it again, he'd make a huge differece if he did
Baez, ss    yep, a dog poop season in 2022, but still, easily the most dangerous hitter on the team
Cabrera, dh   yep, still at cleanup.   Carpenter takes this slot when Miggy goes on the DL
Haase, c,  maybe I have him a little high, but when he's right, he's good
Torkelson, 1b,   I hope he's good enough to hit cleanup at some point
Maton, 3b,  hits the ball hard, draws more walks than most on the team and no shift will help him. 
Schoop, 2b, it just feels like every AB for him is a missed opportunity to see a future player
Baddoo, lf,  I don't think he should be on the team over Carpenter, but they need some speed somewhere

Bench: Rogers, Vierling, Ibanez, Kriedler.    Nevin replaces Ibanez when he gets healthy. 

Kerry Carpenter starts in Toledo, where he'll get everyday ABs.   

Toledo's lineup will be worth following.  Keeping an eye on Malloy and Lipcius

Maybe Schoop starts out hot and the Dodgers trade a keg of beer for him.  

How does this compare to your 5 other posted Opening Day rosters?

7 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Hedge fund manager and "Big Short" legend Dr Michael Burry sounds the alarm re Comerica Bank.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/big-short-michael-burry-sounds-the-alarm-on-two-us-banks/ar-AA18WsY7

First Bally's...now Comerica...everything this franchise touches turns to shit

One of the obvious things that I have yet to hear anyone stress is that the deposit limit was  at 100K in 1980. If you apply the CPI to that number it means it should have been increased to ~400K by now. A too low insurance limit is another thing drives up the % of uninsured customers. By design the insurance limit is *supposed* to cover *most*  - i.e. any average, depositor at your average bank. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, casimir said:

How does this compare to your 5 other posted Opening Day rosters?

It changes................as the spring goes forward.   It's not an absolute.  Things are different March 23rd than they are March 6th.   It's just a guess.  Chill. 

But to think Riley Greene is going to be platooned is just not paying attention.   He's their star and he's going to play - even if he struggles (outside of Miggy).    I'm just not sure he's a leadoff guy, but they have no other real leadoff guys.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

2 hours ago, Stanley70 said:

In 50 years of following the Tigers that is my favorite year. And they went 74-87. 

Yep, so much entertainment to go along with the sheer love of the game that most of us share. They were not good per say, but much more entertaining than '74 & '75. They also had All Stars RLeFlore and RStaub. SP Dave Roberts was decent and John Hiller quite good out of the BP. They brought up Jason Thompson and his 'roof top' homers. Horton, Stanley & Freehan was still on the team and productive when healthy. A gold glove caliber 3B in Aurelio Rodriguez.

The 'Bird' made it magical and easy to remember. As one poster said, today it would be a bit different. Yet, regardless we enjoyed it. It was a very memorable year for Tiger baseball.

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It changes................as the spring goes forward.   It's not an absolute.  Things are different March 23rd than they are March 6th.   It's just a guess.  Chill. 

But to think Riley Greene is going to be platooned is just not paying attention.   He's their star and he's going to play - even if he struggles (outside of Miggy).    I'm just not sure he's a leadoff guy, but they have no other real leadoff guys.  

Who has said anything about Greene being platooned?  He'll need a day off every once in a while, but aside from that, he's an everyday player.

I look forward to your next updated roster Saturday morning.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

this. We visited CA during the summer during Feranando's career. He was pretty huge in the Spanish speaking world. 

People liked him, because, like The Bird, he was too young to be jaded.  He was just kind of a goofy kid who was having a great time.   So many ballplayers are robotic and defensive, especially now, that it's the characters that stand out.   Fidrych and Fernando acted like we would have acted if we suddenly found ourselves as big league stars.    That's why people connected.   Fidrych would pick tomatoes off the CF tomato plant and eat them in the dugout.   Total goofball.   His reaction to his curtain call on Monday Night was awesome, he was overwhelmed and humbled, he was in tears. 

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

Who has said anything about Greene being platooned?  He'll need a day off every once in a while, but aside from that, he's an everyday player.

I look forward to your next updated roster Saturday morning.

He's taking Friday off?

10 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Opening day lineup prediction:

CF Vierling R

SS Baez R

3B Schoop R

DH Cabrera R

RF Meadows L

LF Haase R

1B Torkelson R

C Rogers R

2B Hernandez S

Bench

Greene L, Carpenter L, Baddoo L, Maton L

Next day vs RH pitcher:

CF Greene L

SS Baez R

DH Meadows L

RF Carpenter L

1B Torkelson R

3B Maton L

2B Hernandez S

C Rogers R

LF Baddoo L

Bench

Haase R, Cabrera R, Schoop R, Vierling R

To me that looks like a RHP/LHP platoon and that's just not going to happen.  

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They are not platooning Riley Greene.    Only time he doesn't play is if he's hurting or if he needs a day off and since he's not even 23, I doubt he'll need too many days off.   He's a do-or-die player

Watching the game the other day and Greene at the plate, he fouled a ball off his leg and he hopped around a bit, and my heart just stopped briefly. I processed a lot of thoughts for those couple of seconds. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Watching the game the other day and Greene at the plate, he fouled a ball off his leg and he hopped around a bit, and my heart just stopped briefly. I processed a lot of thoughts for those couple of seconds. 

The curse is real.       Build The District like you promised, Chris Illitch, or this keeps happening.      How about all that affordable housing?   Wait, nothing yet?   The parking lots all look great, though.  

I literally just said this to someone else a few minutes ago.

I like the parking lots.

Gives us a lot of options and keeps prices low.  I like being able to prepay and pick out my lot.  I go with the furthest one away from whatever location I am at, unless it's the Fillmore because those are usually low volume nights.  But for a crowded event at LCA or Comerica or Ford Field I have my favorites.  

Theres plenty of other places in the area to build up on.  So yeah... I like the parking lots.  I think they are convenient for planning purposes.

33 minutes ago, oblong said:

I literally just said this to someone else a few minutes ago.

I like the parking lots.

Gives us a lot of options and keeps prices low.  I like being able to prepay and pick out my lot.  I go with the furthest one away from whatever location I am at, unless it's the Fillmore because those are usually low volume nights.  But for a crowded event at LCA or Comerica or Ford Field I have my favorites.  

Theres plenty of other places in the area to build up on.  So yeah... I like the parking lots.  I think they are convenient for planning purposes.

yeah - the parking around the Stadia is probably not the next logical develop area. First you have to finish the commerical occupancy refill south of Grand Circus park. Maybe not everyone is coming back to on-site work but most will be - but the DT is still not full enough to force more develop need north. Just for example - Hudson's has to be filled once complete, Penobscot is underutilized and BookTower needs to be filled. And after that the next target may actually be the near east 375 corridor once the Frwy is gone. The parking lots keep things cleaned up and generating income. They will be replaced by a smaller footprint of parking structures when property values make surface lots uneconomic. 

12 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Most of you, sure.  He was completely out of baseball before I was born.