2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

I don't care so much how long games last, but I do like a fast PACE.  So, I am happy to see the pitch clock.  I am also interested to see whether a faster pace between pitches affect pitcher stamina and ability to throw their hardest on every pitch.    

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't care so much how long games last, but I do like a fast PACE.  So, I am happy to see the pitch clock.  I am also interested to see whether a faster pace between pitches affect pitcher stamina and ability to throw their hardest on every pitch.    

I just hope they keep the Kiss cam at the stadiums.  I can only handle so much change.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I think what happens is that teams will keep more pitchers on their 40-man roster (maybe up to 25); they will trot out as many pitchers in a game as they can; they will max out the five-time option limits on their optional pitchers; and they will churn the waiver wire to get a consistent stream of fresh arms to throw at hitters. I also think we'll see an increase in mid-inning pitching changes and more three-and-done outings. Teams have been average around 3.3 to 3.4 relievers a game for the last five seasons. That might go up to four per game or even more.

I think what we won't see is very much of leaving a quickly-tiring pitcher in there to get shelled, at least not until late.

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think what happens is that teams will keep more pitchers on their 40-man roster (maybe up to 25); they will trot out as many pitchers in a game as they can; they will max out the five-time option limits on their optional pitchers; and they will churn the waiver wire to get a consistent stream of fresh arms to throw at hitters. I also think we'll see an increase in mid-inning pitching changes and more three-and-done outings. Teams have been average around 3.3 to 3.4 relievers a game for the last five seasons. That might go up to four per game or even more.

I think what we won't see is very much of leaving a quickly-tiring pitcher in there to get shelled, at least not until late.

It seems to be trending in that direction.  I wonder how far they go with it until there aren't enough major league pitchers tp go around.  I have heard people say that the ideal situation would be to have 9 pitchers pitching one inning each and going all out for that inning, but I don't think there would be enough quality pitchers to do that.  

58 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It seems to be trending in that direction.  I wonder how far they go with it until there aren't enough major league pitchers tp go around.  I have heard people say that the ideal situation would be to have 9 pitchers pitching one inning each and going all out for that inning, but I don't think there would be enough quality pitchers to do that.  

That will be especially true if they juice the ball as I suspect they will. There's an outside chance this will be 1930 NL all over again, albeit with leagues hitting .270 versus .300 because of all the strikeouts.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

That works if nobody gets shelled.

what's the diff? The way managers work it today, they use so many guys they almost guarantee that they are going to bring in someone having an off-day. :classic_wink:

I say that tongue in cheek but I do believe that the modern system completely misses the reality that on any given day, some guys are not going to be able to perform, and that the more guys you regularly use in one game, the more games you put at risk of hitting a guy who gets shelled and loses that game.

That goes under what I would call genneral over confidence in numbers. A player is NOT his stats. His stats are only the average of what he is over time. On any given day he might be anything other than what his stats say he should be. Ignore that at your peril as a manager.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

what's the diff? The way managers work it today, they use so many guys they almost guarantee that they are going to bring in someone having an off-day. :classic_wink:

I say that tongue in cheek but I do believe that the modern system completely misses the reality that on any given day, some guys are not going to be able to perform, and that the more guys you regularly use in one game, the more games you put at risk of hitting a guy who gets shelled and loses that game.

That goes under what I would call genneral over confidence in numbers. A player is NOT his stats. His stats are only the average of what he is over time. On any given day he might be anything other than what his stats say he should be. Ignore that at your peril as a manager.

I have noticed you referencing this point for some time. I think even into 2021 and it has proven to be true. It’s almost like playing Russian roulette. Eventually you take a bullet. 

19 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Speaking of this I came across this video yesterday and its painful to watch. For those that can't handle the pain of watching the video the answer is 7, 7 freaking times Altuve rounded the bases inbetween pitches by this guy, that's like a half of mile worth of baserunning. Insane!

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

No starters, no relievers. The perfectly symmetric pitching staff.: 12 pitchers, everybody throws 3 innings every 4th day.

Oakland tried that for a short bit, I think maybe LaRussa?  But I think it was back when teams used 11 man pitching staffs.  The “rotation” was 3 pitchers for 3 innings for 3 games.  A closer in there, and a spare arm.  I don’t think it lasted long, maybe around a month?

I don’t know what the rules are on promotions/demotions/options.  I suppose that might be the new exploitation if needed.  Maybe a team has 13 or 14 pitchers to use among 12 major league roster spots, and a handful of arms are rotated through?  Didn’t the minor leagues kind of fade roster maximums away a bit to where it is a maximum of players available per game rather than maximum per roster?  It could be a possible plan.  Then again, as the great philosopher Tyson once noted, “everyone has a plan until they got punched in the face”.

20 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

OK, I wondered whether you were being serious here, but not completely sure either way.

I do fear that with the coming rise in offensive numbers, especially if the ball is re-juiced, pitchers and their coaches are going to try harder than ever to come up twisty, turny, ever-faster magic pitches to try to miss bats, resulting in even more season- and career-ending injuries than we see even today. Bseballl has simply got to deaden that ball to instill confidence in pitchers generally that if the bat lands on the pitch, there’s still a very good chance it stays in the park and has a chance of turning into an out. To do that, they’d probably have to cut the home run rate down to something under 1.00 per game and have it persist for a few seasons. Otherwise, as long as that homer rate is floating around 1.25 or even higher, I think we’re just going to keep seeing endless pitcher injuries ad infinitum. 

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

OK, I wondered whether you were being serious here, but not completely sure either way.

I do fear that with the coming rise in offensive numbers, especially if the ball is re-juiced, pitchers and their coaches are going to try harder than ever to come up twisty, turny, ever-faster magic pitches to try to miss bats, resulting in even more season- and career-ending injuries than we see even today. Bseballl has simply got to deaden that ball to instill confidence in pitchers generally that if the bat lands on the pitch, there’s still a very good chance it stays in the park and has a chance of turning into an out. To do that, they’d probably have to cut the home run rate down to something under 1.00 per game and have it persist for a few seasons. Otherwise, as long as that homer rate is floating around 1.25 or even higher, I think we’re just going to keep seeing endless pitcher injuries ad infinitum. 

I've also said this as a joke but it's also true - If OSHA had jurisdiction over baseball they would have had to change the was pitchers throw a long time ago. Now of course, that's a joke because we don't care that guys making millions of dollars make a concious decision to put their UCLs at more risk that we allow workers who get more ordinary paychecks to take whether they are willing or not, but consider all the MiLB kids who end up with surgery who never get any kind of payday from baseball. Of course there are lot injuries in all sports, but off hand I can't think of any other sport where you have a particular injury which has become so much a matter of inevitability rather than just the risk of random accident.

• 3 weeks later...