2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

On 2/8/2023 at 7:55 PM, Tiger337 said:

I want eight-team divisions.  Make the division titles mean something.  There are going to be a million wildcards anyway, so they don't have to pretend small divisions make it more competitive.  

I certainly wouldn’t mind this, but no team owner is going to want to have to try to sell a seventh-, eighth-, or even sixth-place team late in the season, so this is a non-starter.

Edited by chasfh

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Roster wise, I'm not sure they have the flexibility to carry both Baddoo and Carpenter at the same time, which complicates matters some. Hypothetically:

C Haase

1B Torkelson

2B Schoop

SS Baez

3B Maton

LF Meadows

CF Greene

RF Baddoo

DH Cabrera

BENCH

C Sands or Rogers

IF Nevin or Hernandez

OF Vierling

That's 13, and Vierling seems like a lock given the fact that he bats right handed in an outfield full of lefties. 

Looks about right. However, there is most often always going to be injuries. IMHO, unless JRogers wins the starting C position outright it would seem that he may need to get regular ABs, for at least awhile, because he did miss all of last season.

CHernandez more than likely may have an opt out if he does not break camp. They may even have one (or more) invite(s) to bring into camp.

The WBC will allow for a few players (in every camp) to get more 'look-see' time as well.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

There probably needs to be a reality check about the LHH OF options going into camp.  As a group, it sucks defensively.  Bigly.

If they can hit, who cares. After last year's offensive woes nobody should be worried about D

10 minutes ago, KL2 said:

If they can hit, who cares. After last year's offensive woes nobody should be worried about D

I know this is crazy talk, I know I'm asking for too much, but maybe one season before I croak the Tigers could employ 3 OFs that can both field and hit on a daily basis.  Could you imagine that?  Honestly, I don't that's happened since they moved to the current place.

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I agree totally. Why should I who live approx 2 1/2 - 4 hours from teams I don't care about have to put up with the whims of one team (which owns 2/3 of the broadcast  network).

Especially since the games are carried over a monopoly owned cable/internet system charging exorbitant rates.

14 minutes ago, casimir said:

I know this is crazy talk, I know I'm asking for too much, but maybe one season before I croak the Tigers could employ 3 OFs that can both field and hit on a daily basis.  Could you imagine that?  Honestly, I don't that's happened since they moved to the current place.

I don't think so either.  I loved JD and Cespedes, they were the best hitters in the corners since Kaline and Colavito, but Kaline and Colavito were also great defenders with great arms.

Juan Encarnacion was going to be the answer to all of our prayers.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I certainly wouldn’t mind this, but no team owner is going to want to have to try to sell a seventh-, eighth-, or even sixth-place team late in the season, so this is a non-starter.

If a 3rd or 4th place team is headed for a 100-loss season, how are they going to sell that?  Are fans really so stupid that they are going to go watch a terrible 3rd or 4th place team just because they are ranked 3 or 4?  

Edited by Tiger337

47 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I don't think so either.  I loved JD and Cespedes, they were the best hitters in the corners since Kaline and Colavito, but Kaline and Colavito were also great defenders with great arms.

Juan Encarnacion was going to be the answer to all of our prayers.

Cespedes was a pretty good defender.  He was no Kaline and didn't have Colavito's arm, but not many are in that class.  

41 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If a 3rd or 4th place team is headed for a 100-loss season, how are they going to sell that?  Are fans really so stupid that they are going to go watch a terrible 3rd or 4th place team just because they are ranked 3 or 4?  

There is a psychological difference between being a 95-loss team in third place versus a 95-loss team in seventh place. Owners don't want to try selling the latter. It doesn't matter if it's not logical. It's still an actual thing. It's a key reason why they went to divisions in the first place in 1969.

The other thing is that more divisions of fewer teams mean more races for first place, more engaged fan bases, presumably more interest, more tickets sold, higher ratings, more revenues.

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

There is a psychological difference between being a 95-loss team in third place versus a 95-loss team in seventh place. Owners don't want to try selling the latter. It doesn't matter if it's not logical. It's still an actual thing. It's a key reason why they went to divisions in the first place in 1969.

The other thing is that more divisions of fewer teams mean more races for first place, more engaged fan bases, presumably more interest, more tickets sold, higher ratings, more revenues.

The old six/seven team divisions were fine.  I think there is a big difference between 4 and 6 as far as the chance of producing a weak team for the playoffs. 

I know you're a marketing person which involves a lot of psychology and sometimes consideration of irrational thought among consumers.  I always have a hard time with that and assume that humans are capable of being logical.  

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The old six/seven team divisions were fine.  I think there is a big difference between 4 and 6 as far as the chance of producing a weak team for the playoffs. 

I know you're a marketing person which involves a lot of psychology and sometimes consideration of irrational thought among consumers.  I always have a hard time with that and assume that humans are capable of being logical.  

This does not sound like a compliment! 😉😅

But hey, look, this is not my idea or opinion, so please don't be unhappy with me about it. I wouldn't care if they did 16-team tables like the UK Premier League. I know you wouldn't, either. I'm just sharing what I understand about why Baseball will probably never go to anything like an eight-team division.

In any event, I'm also retired, so marketing affinity is a very tiny speck in my rear-view mirror.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This does not sound like a compliment! 😉😅

But hey, look, this is not my idea or opinion, so please don't be unhappy with me about it. I wouldn't care if they did 16-team tables like the UK Premier League. I know you wouldn't, either. I'm just sharing what I understand about why Baseball will probably never go to anything like an eight-team division.

In any event, I'm also retired, so marketing affinity is a very tiny speck in my rear-view mirror.

It wasn't supposed to be a compliment or insult, just a reality of your former profession.  I know you are very capable of logical and analytical thought and are very often on the same page as me as far as what you'd like to see in the game.  I didn't know you were retired.  Good for you!  I have a long way to go due to family health problems and not so great financial planning by other family members.    Fortunately, I like my job and the new working remotely thing makes everything easier.     

7 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Roster wise, I'm not sure they have the flexibility to carry both Baddoo and Carpenter at the same time, which complicates matters some. Hypothetically:

C Haase

1B Torkelson

2B Schoop

SS Baez

3B Maton

LF Meadows

CF Greene

RF Baddoo

DH Cabrera

BENCH

C Sands or Rogers

IF Nevin or Hernandez

OF Vierling

That's 13, and Vierling seems like a lock given the fact that he bats right handed in an outfield full of lefties. 

I am in agreement but would have Verling in RF and just let him play the year, Nevin/Maton platoon third base, Sands over Rogers , Carpenter/ Miggy DH platoon , Hernandez on the bench and Badoo in Toledo to start. Schoop on a short leash. If, BIG if, Nevin can hold his own or JHM emerges then play Maton at second. Maton needs to play often between 3B/2B. I think Harris will add a right handed outfielder or someone will emerge before the season starts to spell Meadows in left. And I am still holding my breath Meadows will actually play after last years disappearance.

21 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It wasn't supposed to be a compliment or insult, just a reality of your former profession.  I know you are very capable of logical and analytical thought and are very often on the same page as me as far as what you'd like to see in the game.  I didn't know you were retired.  Good for you!  I have a long way to go due to family health problems and not so great financial planning by other family members.    Fortunately, I like my job and the new working remotely thing makes everything easier.     

Yeah, I got out some years ago because I came to hate my profession, or more exactly, how it got tracked at the end there. Maybe if I were working a fun data-driven job like yours, I'd still be working!

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

My comment had more to do with Miggy than AJ, let's just put it that way.... 

Based on the what's said in the article, your post reads more, to me anyway, like you're concerned about AJ being pressured into playing Miggy too much. I don't think we'll have to worry about that.