2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

Welp.........Today's the day.  

This is the day where I buy two packs of 2023 Topps baseball cards and the first Tiger I come across is MY Tiger for the year.    

2022 it was Tarik Skubal.........that ended badly

2021 it was Harold Castro.....he hit .283 with an OBP of .310......meh

2020 it was Niko Goodrum.......he hit .164 with an OPB of 292

2019 it was Jeimer Candelario.....he hit .203

You better hope I get a bench player this year or a player that's already hurt.   

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe they are those people who aren't quite one "hand" over another?  Good enough to make it to the ML of course.  My son is left handed but sometimes with things he's not sure..... I gave him a golf club and he said hitting LH didnt feel right but RH didn't either.  Of course it's golf so.....

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I went to buy a pack of cards at Target and all they had was multipacks, and I'm not spending $25 on baseball cards.   I just want the one pack- maybe two.   Where do you buy these things now?   Used to be in every corner store.  

I sometimes grab a pack at Meijer, usually can find single packs in the toy section or near the checkouts

I got Fidrych's autograph at Gibralter one year.  They were free.  Very long line and it wasn't moving fast.  Once I got up there I realized why.  The guy was so friendly and was talking to everyone like it was a cousin he hadn't seen in 7 years.  This was before camera phones so I can imagine how long that would have been if everybody wanted a picture.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, oblong said:

I got Fidrych's autograph at Gibralter one year.  They were free.  Very long line and it wasn't moving fast.  Once I got up there I realized why.  The guy was so friendly and was talking to everyone like it was a cousin he hadn't seen in 7 years.  This was before camera phones so I can imagine how long that would have been if everybody wanted a picture.

I got his autograph at a Whitecaps game. I was absolutely thrilled and said to him "thank you for doing this" and he said "thank you for still caring". Somewhere I have a picture of me walking away from the autograph table with a huge smile on my face. It was a highlight reel moment in my life.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, oblong said:

When an interviewer in the 90s said his career was tragic, Fidrych corrected him and said "Tragic?  I started an All-Star Game, it was great".     He wasn't a phony,  it wasn't an act, he was just a kid that was as wowed as we were.  I still remember his first start against Cleveland and how fast the game was over.   He got the ball and it was like it was giving him electric shocks and he had to get rid of it right away.      I don't think he got cheated, I think the rest of us did, I think baseball did.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Opening day lineup prediction:

CF Vierling R

SS Baez R

3B Schoop R

DH Cabrera R

RF Meadows L

LF Haase R

1B Torkelson R

C Rogers R

2B Hernandez S

Bench

Greene L, Carpenter L, Baddoo L, Maton L

Next day vs RH pitcher:

CF Greene L

SS Baez R

DH Meadows L

RF Carpenter L

1B Torkelson R

3B Maton L

2B Hernandez S

C Rogers R

LF Baddoo L

Bench

Haase R, Cabrera R, Schoop R, Vierling R

Fidrych was one of a kind.  There will never be another one like him.  He was a unique individual, but part of what made him special is that nobody knew who he was until he started pitching in Detroit.  Today, we would have analyzed him from the day he was drafted.  We would have known everything about him and placed him on various prospect lists.  When was in Detroit, we would haved worried about his low K rate and worried about him getting hurt with the high innings pitched totals.  Nobody cared about that stuff back then.  Who knows what social media would be saying about him?   The Bird phenomenon just wouldn't be the same today.  I am so glad we were able to experience it when we did.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

They are not platooning Riley Greene.    Only time he doesn't play is if he's hurting or if he needs a day off and since he's not even 23, I doubt he'll need too many days off.   He's a do-or-die player

I'll play

Green, cf   a fan favorite already, but is he a leadoff hitter?  well, they have nobody else
Meadows, rf,   he still gets on base, hopefully he finds it again, he'd make a huge differece if he did
Baez, ss    yep, a dog poop season in 2022, but still, easily the most dangerous hitter on the team
Cabrera, dh   yep, still at cleanup.   Carpenter takes this slot when Miggy goes on the DL
Haase, c,  maybe I have him a little high, but when he's right, he's good
Torkelson, 1b,   I hope he's good enough to hit cleanup at some point
Maton, 3b,  hits the ball hard, draws more walks than most on the team and no shift will help him. 
Schoop, 2b, it just feels like every AB for him is a missed opportunity to see a future player
Baddoo, lf,  I don't think he should be on the team over Carpenter, but they need some speed somewhere

Bench: Rogers, Vierling, Ibanez, Kriedler.    Nevin replaces Ibanez when he gets healthy. 

Kerry Carpenter starts in Toledo, where he'll get everyday ABs.   

Toledo's lineup will be worth following.  Keeping an eye on Malloy and Lipcius

Maybe Schoop starts out hot and the Dodgers trade a keg of beer for him.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Fidrych was one of a kind.  There will never be another one like him.  He was a unique individual, but part of what made him special is that nobody knew who he was until he started pitching in Detroit.  Today, we would have analyzed him from the day he was drafted.  We would have known everything about him and placed him on various prospect lists.  We would haved worried about his low K rate and worried about him getting hurt with the high innings pitched totals.  Nobody cared about that stuff back then.  Who knows what social media would be saying about him?   The Bird phenomenon just wouldn't be the same today.  I am so glad we were able to experience it when we did.  

It was incredible.   First start was May 15th.   2-hit the Indians in less than 2-hours.  I think part of it was that he pitched so quickly that the Indians just never could get settled.     By June 28th and Monday Night Baseball he was the hottest thing in the majors.   In the days before the internet when, what, maybe 40 games got televised?  Just 44 Days.    Nope, we'll never see anything close to it again.  Sports just doesn't have the innocence to make that happen and have it be legit.    

Edited by Motor City Sonics

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It was incredible.   First start was May 15th.   2-hit the Indians in less than 2-hours.  I think part of it was that he pitched so quickly that the Indians just never could get settled.     By June 28th and Monday Night Baseball he was the hottest thing in the majors.   In the days before the internet when, what, maybe 40 games got televised?  Just 44 Days.    Nope, we'll never see anything close to it again.  Sports just doesn't have the innocence to make that happen and have it be legit.    

FernandoMania was a big deal, but I think more regional.  And not really sure why.