2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

I think the value we get out of McKinstry will be directly related to the amount of success the coaching staff will have working with him. I don’t think anyone is expecting he is going to step right in and contribute. I’m pretty sure he’s a work in progress. If he doesn’t pan out relatively quickly, I think he’ll pass through waivers and become organizational filler. On the other hand, at age 27, even if we do get improvement, I think he’s a short-term solution anyway, so I wouldn’t expect him to be here beyond a couple years at most, even if we get 100 wRC+ out of him.

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

That's just a bit  of an exaggeration.  McKinstry has a .269 in the majors so far and that is supposed to be his strength.  

But, in limited and inconsistent reps.     That does factor in.   A guy trying to claw his way into the lineup will often lose a little patience.    He probably won't play a ton here, unless they are cutting Schoop loose.    AJ works everyone into the lineup, but maybe not early in the year.

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But, in limited and inconsistent reps.     

If he had produced, his reps would not have been limited and inconsistent.  Which came the first the chicken or the egg?  He has never been a big prospect.  If we are lucky, he's the next Don Kelly.  

23 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

That's just a bit  of an exaggeration.  McKinstry has a .269 in the majors so far and that is supposed to be his strength.  

Pache hasn't hit in AAA either, despite being in one of the minors' biggest band boxes last year. McKinstry and Nevin both have SSS issues with their major league numbers.

Edited by Edman85

17 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Pache hasn't hit in AAA either, despite being in one of the minors' biggest band boxes last year. McKinstry and Nevin both have SSS issues with their major league numbers.

I see that, but they all look like fringe prospects to me.  I know part of Harris' strategy is to collect guys like that and hope that one or two can help.  As a group, that's a good thing.  Individually, I am not going to get excited about one of them.  

53 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Just think............48 hours from now we'll be watching Matt Vierling make an instant impact with 3 hits, including a Home Run and E-Rod, Jason Foley, Mason Englert and Alex Lange combine to 6-hit the Rays in a 5-2 Tigers Opening Day victory !

Listening to.* I'm blacked out.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Listening to.* I'm blacked out.

We meant to talk to you about this.  We were going to gather in a room virtually to talk about your drinking.    You are talking about blacked out like it's something routine and that's a sign that you need help.   We wanted to offer you an opportunity to speak to someone with experience.   Jeff VanVonderen is on the line.      Will you take this help?