2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Hey, we can't even sign a utility player like Brandon Drury.      Come on, man.     Seriously, are we playing Kody Freaking Clemens at third this year?     I know hands are tied, but this is really deflating.       This is Chris.    This is our future, isn't it?  Nothing year after year.   We're the Pirates now...........we might stumble into the playoffs one year and then sell everything immediately and start over.      Still like the front office moves so far, but those won't pay off for 4 years.   So 2023, 2024 just mean nothing, I guess.   As long as Chris breaks even.   This sucks.  

It does 'look' deflating... trying to sell MLB hitters on coming here to get better is not the line most want to hear. They need to get some players here soon. Right now they do not have positions filled. Yes, there is always some time but players are coming off the board every day. Then you throw in injuries that are inevitable, and you see a picture that is not too 'bright'.

Maybe there is a trade and/or signing(s) in the works (hard to think there is not). Just a few too many holes at this time it seems.

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe they didn't want Brandon Drury?

It seems maybe so - as that deal was not bank breaking. Maybe his BB/K ratios were not a top choice. If it is players that want to get better - and they then chose to come here is a selling point - that sounds more like a Edwin Rios type idea (which might be ok) or even GSanchez (Haase more 1B and OF). This team needs a middle of the order bat (maybe two).

Still think something will happen before too long. WMyers could be a decent fit. Not a first choice but at this time... JProfar could bat at the top of the order and is able to move around - but hard to believe either of these two will have to settle on a one yr deal.

Edited by alex

9 minutes ago, alex said:

It does 'look' deflating... trying to sell MLB hitters on coming here to get better is not the line most want to hear. They need to get some players here soon. Right now they do not have positions filled. Yes, there is always some time but players are coming off the board every day. Then you throw in injuries that are inevitable, and you see a picture that is not too 'bright'.

It's the lack of knowledge or insight that makes it difficult. It's even worse on social media than on this board, but a lot of folks seem to have a visceral reaction to each time any free agent is signed without even knowing whether the Tigers wanted or were even interested in that particular player.

Drury is a great example: there's been a ton of speculation about Drury and how, at least on paper, he might be a fit here. But we don't know whether the team was ever interested. And honestly, given what he ultimatley signed for, a lot of teams (including those not named the Tigers) may not even really believe in the guy or think he's Jonathan Schoop 2.0 in terms of consistency. Which is fair given how far out of norms for his career his previous season was (both in terms of production and actual games played).

I get that it's the nature of the fan to react in this way, but ultimately outside of Jace Peterson or maybe Mitch Haniger, I'm not sure anyone has come off the board who I would have expected the Tigers would be in on during this offseason.

Edited by mtutiger

12 minutes ago, alex said:

Still think something will happen before too long. WMyers could be a decent fit. Not a first choice but at this time... JProfar could bat at the top of the order and is able to move around - but hard to believe either of these two will have to settle on a one yr deal.

Profar is interesting, I honestly don't know what the market is for the guy at this point.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

It sounds like NCAA football.  

It sounds like a problem which is caused by something other than relegation.  

it is.  relegation is not the issue in european soccer.

the issue is no salary constraints, limited revenue sharing, combined with a system that rewards teams by sending them to the champions league and the oodles of extra money that goes with that.  

its why the owners of some of the bigger clubs (a lot of them americans) tried to create a breakaway "super league" that would not have any relegation or promotion, would have a salary "cap" type system, and would guarantee them revenue.

that attempt failed.  shortly after, the american owners of two of those clubs (liverpool and united) both put their teams up for sale.  basically admitting they may have maxxed out the profits they can take from their teams in a world where rulers of oil rich countries can outspend everyone and make it impossible to compete (man city, psg, newcastle).

Mike Illitch bought the Tigers for roughtly $85 million.   The team would sell for over a BILLION dollars now.    Just to clarify.......85 million seconds would be about 2 2/3 years, a billion seconds is over 31 years.      That's a hell of a profit.  Sell the fucking team, Chris.   Everyone knows you don't give a shit.  

28 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Mike Illitch bought the Tigers for roughtly $85 million.   The team would sell for over a BILLION dollars now.    Just to clarify.......85 million seconds would be about 2 2/3 years, a billion seconds is over 31 years.      That's a hell of a profit.  Sell the fucking team, Chris.   Everyone knows you don't give a shit.  

Honest question: can you express in detail who you would have signed that has gone off the board thus far, and at what price/years.

Thanks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Longgone said:

I'm not sure where this angst comes from. MLB has a problem with parity, the other leagues don't. It's hard to argue that players aren't well compensated. If you think too many teams qualify for the playoffs, just state that, without conflating it with irrelevant issues like relegation.

where do you get the idea MLB has a parity problem and the other leagues don’t?  Since the year 2000, of 23 NBA titles 17 of them have gone to 4 franchises.  They have a cap. We are told by owner apologists that mlb needs a cap.  15 difference MLB franchises have won a title in that same timeframe. 

48 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This franchise is probably worth closer to $3 million.

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

where do you get the idea MLB has a parity problem and the other leagues don’t?  Since the year 2000, of 23 NBA titles 17 of them have gone to 4 franchises.  They have a cap. We are told by owner apologists that mlb needs a cap.  15 difference MLB franchises have won a title in that same timeframe. 

its easier in the NBA for a team with  one great player to win championships

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, oblong said:

Even setting aside the NBA, the EPL, which has been discussed at length (and whose system of relegation has been held up by some) has had 7 Champions since it's inception 30 years ago... three of those teams (Man City, Man U and Chelsea) own 24 of those titles.

• Confused 1

If you own a sports team, you should care about winning.    One of the richest owners in the game and this guy doesn't even try.   He doesn't even know half or most of the players on his own team.  

I'm just pissed off.  Winter is here,  our team is terrible and as bad as he was last year, Harold Castro was one of our most clutch hitters and we don't really have any third basemen on this roster.   We have guys who can play third, but they are not actual third basemen............after years of high drafts, nothing close to being ready.     And I don't care to hear about someone from at West Michigan who is probably 2 years away and has a .907 fielding pct in the minors.     

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

This franchise is probably worth closer to $3 million.

I know you mean Billion but the way Chris treats this team who knows. 

And I'm not asking for us to go after Aaron Judge or Carlos Correa (Mr. 110 games a year), but can we be in on some band-aid players?   Anyone?    You know, while we wait for future Hall Of Famer Colt Keith to develop?    

Who replaces Castro.    Andy Ibanez?   Wow.  exciting.     Oh, the recongizing the strike zone thing.... Harold Castro had a better OBP than Ibanez.     

8 years of this and there is no end in sight.      The Lions carry the hopes of this city for sports..............they've still got 3 weeks to tear our hearts out too.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I'm just pissed off.  Winter is here,  our team is terrible and as bad as he was last year, Harold Castro was one of our most clutch hitters and we don't really have any third basemen on this roster.   We have guys who can play third, but they are not actual third basemen............after years of high drafts, nothing close to being ready.     And I don't care to hear about someone from at West Michigan who is probably 2 years away and has a .907 fielding pct in the minors.

I get it, this team was run into the ditch by the previous General Manager. We literally all know this, most of us anyway seemed to acknowledge that this thing wasn't going to be fixed overnight after he was ****canned.

So we all know this, and yet we somehow expect the new General Manager to be the next coming of Jesus Christ and turn this team from a 96 loss ballclub into bon-a-fide contender. The situation absolutely blows. But signing Brandon Drury isn't going to change the trajectory of this team by more than 2-3 games over the course of a season. Carlos Correa? Probably not more than 4-5 games of the course of a season. 

Simply put, if you want this team to succeed faster, the fastest way to get there is for guys who are already here, including some guys that didn't play much last year (Meadows, Turnbull), guys who underperformed (Schoop, Baez, ERod if he isn't traded), and younger guys (Greene, Tork, various young starters) to put up solid years and play to their potential. That's gonna make up a lot more ground than Brandon freaking Drury ever would.

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I know you mean Billion but the way Chris treats this team who knows. 

And I'm not asking for us to go after Aaron Judge or Carlos Correa (Mr. 110 games a year), but can we be in on some band-aid players?   Anyone?    You know, while we wait for future Hall Of Famer Colt Keith to develop?    

Who replaces Castro.    Andy Ibanez?   Wow.  exciting.     Oh, the recongizing the strike zone thing.... Harold Castro had a better OBP than Ibanez.     

8 years of this and there is no end in sight.      The Lions carry the hopes of this city for sports..............they've still got 3 weeks to tear our hearts out too.   

Thank Sonics I was beginning to think I was insane for being tired of this endless rebuild 

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You realize it's only December 21, right?

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I get it, this team was run into the ditch by the previous General Manager. We literally all know this, most of us anyway seemed to acknowledge that this thing wasn't going to be fixed overnight after he was ****canned.

So we all know this, and yet we somehow expect the new General Manager to be the next coming of Jesus Christ and turn this team from a 96 loss ballclub into bon-a-fide contender. The situation absolutely blows. But signing Brandon Drury isn't going to change the trajectory of this team by more than 2-3 games over the course of a season. Carlos Correa? Probably not more than 4-5 games of the course of a season. 

Simply put, if you want this team to succeed faster, the fastest way to get there is for guys who are already here, including some guys that didn't play much last year (Meadows, Turnbull), guys who underperformed (Schoop, Baez, ERod if he isn't traded), and younger guys (Greene, Tork, various young starters) to put up solid years and play to their potential. That's gonna make up a lot more ground than Brandon freaking Drury ever would.

no one is expecting an over night change  but you have to do something to get the car out of the ditch  right now they stepping on the gas hoping it climbs the bank 

1 minute ago, Toddwert said:

no one is expecting an over night change  but you have to do something to get the car out of the ditch  right now they stepping on the gas hoping it climbs the bank 

What does signing Brandon Drury, in MCS' words a band aid, do to "get the car out of the ditch"?

Second, it's December 21. Can we at least get into January until we determine what is or isn't actually happening behind the scenes?

Okay. lets hope that in 2022 we had the worst hitting coaches that ever lived, but our manager backed them all the way, and that is disturbing.       So maybe they found great hitting coaches who can return guys to career average, but we still really don't have much of a hitting roster and I know the pitching will be dicey while we wait for everyone to recover from injuries (literally everyone at one point), but they need to inject something more than hoping guys bounce back.   Avila left them in a bind, for sure, because the only tradeable prospects are pitchers and with our MASH-unit rotation we need every single pitching prospect.   I don't think it's out of the question to expect that Flores, Kirby, Bergner and Madden all end up getting multiple starts this year.      We need a couple bats, just be be a 70-win team next year.