10/19/2022 7:00 EDT Orlando Magic vs Detroit Pistons

casimir

That game was a microcosm of what a young team is all about, both Orlando and Detroit. Big ups and downs, but It was highly entertaining to watch.

The biggest thing that stuck out to me is that I didn't expect Duren to make this much impact this soon. Just one game but he looked like a young Amare Stoudemire out there, a better defensive version. Very impressive and I'll be interested to see how Casey monitors his minutes when Noel and Bagley return. I don't know if he's ready to be a starter yet but he's a better fit than Stewart if they insist on having Bey and Bogjanovic on the court at the same time.

Ivey is a blur, as we knew already, but what I liked about his game tonight is that he was largely under control which is his biggest question mark. If he can learn how to play a different paces, look out league.

IT won't be discussed much but CoJo and Hayes really kept this team afloat when it looked like Orlando was going to blow them out. They kicked off the comeback with CoJo's shotmaking and both of their defensive intensity, along with Duren. Bogdanovic awesome, exactly the type of vet that they need.

Fun game overall. Loads of talent on both sides. Wagner is really impressive, I never thought in a million years that he'd be this good as a pro but he's the real deal.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

I didn't realize Banchero had 27 points until looking at the box score after the game.  Seemed like a quiet 27.  I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.  Orlando's issue right now is their bench.  If you are playing Caleb Houstan 22 minutes, you got problems. 

9 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

This is a team that looks scared to finish games. Should have used a timeout earlier. Cade keeps going to the rim and laying up bricks. 

I wonder how much of that is youth.

I don't know when you posted this, but I know while I was watching it last night, there was a stretch at the end where it seemed like a timeout would have been beneficial.  On the other hand, was it a matter of Casey testing the maturity of his team?

What an enjoyable game.  The outside shooting of Bogdanovic and the athleticism of Ivey & Duren really gave this team elements that we haven't seen in a while. 

Shooting overall is still a concern, the youth is going to manifest itself into poor play at times (the opening of the 1st as a prime example), and the rotations are going to be ..... wow, not sure the best description for this to be honest.  But there are some pieces in place for this team to grow on.  There's finally some long term hope for the Pistons.

Orlando was missing Cole Anthony, Jonathan Isaac, Gary Harris.

I actually really like the collection of talent the Magic has. They actually do have good depth when healthy and their size and length is impressive. Like us, they’re just very young.

I know Isaac hasn’t played the last two seasons and have no idea when he returns how close he’ll be to what he was. But he’d be exactly the type of guy I’d like to slot in at PF for the Pistons next to Duren. Tall, long, athletic (was athletic anyway), good jumpshooter. With Banchero the #1 overall pick taking most of those PF minutes, I’d be curious to see if the Magic will make Isaac available at some point this season.

Cade at the rim is odd. Sometimes he looks smooth as hell, especially on a straight line drive after a hesitation, like the one he put on Carter. One on one, when the help defense is slow to help, Cade is fine. Seems when he tries to bully ball in a more deliberate way, and then he goes in at the rim when the defense collapses, he doesn’t have the explosiveness to finish over the top, so he stalls, pivots, and then tries a series of pump fakes or turnarounds. Similar to Saddiq attacking the rim last season. He’d always get stuck at the rim. Although one of those drives at the end of the game was a quick move and he still missed it, I think a lefty bank attempt.

If Cade’s going to attack the rim, I’d like for it t be with a level of quickness and assertiveness as opposed to slow and deliberate. He’s not quite the shot maker (like a Luka) at and near the rim to go slow and deliberate.

Edited by boogiebunz

Duren definetly impressed me the most, physically and athletically he reminded me of a young Dwight Howard, just looked like a Greek God chiseled out of stone.

Yeah as far as I can remember all his points came on putbacks with the exception of and one out of the post but still considering his age and experience level I still thought it was impressive. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 7:21 AM, casimir said:

What an enjoyable game.  The outside shooting of Bogdanovic and the athleticism of Ivey & Duren really gave this team elements that we haven't seen in a while. 

Shooting overall is still a concern, the youth is going to manifest itself into poor play at times (the opening of the 1st as a prime example), and the rotations are going to be ..... wow, not sure the best description for this to be honest.  But there are some pieces in place for this team to grow on.  There's finally some long term hope for the Pistons.

Honestly not too concerned about the shooting. Once Burks and Livers are back in the lineup, they've got three guys in Bog, Burks and Livers that can shoot at a 40%+ clip from three. It will make a big difference for their three playmakers Cade, Ivey and Hayes to have these guys flanking them.

This got me thinking, so I wonder what the rotation will look like when the injured return. The roster seems awfully crowded...

Cade, Ivey, Bey, Bogdanovic, Stewart then you have Hayes, Burks, Livers, Bagley and Duren. Diallo, CoJo and Noel are phased out but I can't imagine Casey not going to these guys at times. I wonder how the minutes will be staggered.

Edited by NYLion

5 hours ago, NYLion said:

Honestly not too concerned about the shooting. Once Burks and Livers are back in the lineup, they've got three guys in Bog, Burks and Livers that can shoot at a 40%+ clip from three. It will make a big difference for their three playmakers Cade, Ivey and Hayes to have these guys flanking them.

This got me thinking, so I wonder what the rotation will look like when the injured return. The roster seems awfully crowded...

Cade, Ivey, Bey, Bogdanovic, Stewart then you have Hayes, Burks, Livers, Bagley and Duren. Diallo, CoJo and Noel are phased out but I can't imagine Casey not going to these guys at times. I wonder how the minutes will be staggered.

That will be interesting to see indeed.