10/19/2022 7:00 EDT Orlando Magic vs Detroit Pistons

casimir

Would like to see Cade take a big step in improvement this season, starting with tonight. Starts with more shooting consistency and not turning the ball over so dam much. The rest of his game I'm good with. But shooting consistency and turnovers are really an issue with him. He's gotta become that franchise guy he was drafted #1 to become.

Also interested in the rotations the first few weeks. I'm not convinced Stewart belongs in the starting unit. How fast can Duren earn that spot?

• Like 1

That was his m.o. from Okie State. He would let the flow of the game dictate his aggression in the first half, allow his teammates to get going, and then try to take over in the second half. I even recall a few of those college games where he either didn’t score at all or only had like 2 points at half. 

Its actually a pretty remarkable trait for a young player, that big picture patience. It’s a trait Chauncey Billups was praised for exhibiting during his time here. But yeah, there probably does need to be a better balance between aggressiveness and keeping everyone involved. And I think that’s at least somewhat on Casey and the offensive sets he uses. Can’t just be one quick post-up or one PNR and then taking the first available shot, and then all one-on-one after that. It would be nice to see some deliberate off the ball movement that keeps the offense fluid and dynamic. That way a guy like Cade can be aggressive even when he’s not shooting, with his off ball movement and playmaking.

As we get better players around him, that trait will pay off. Maybe it starts this year with Ivey who will likely be a ball of aggression in every game. It could work out nicely with our Fire and Ice backcourt.

High usage players are going to have a lot of turnovers - Luka averaged 4.5 last year to Cade's 3.7 - so I expect that to be something we're going to have to accept.

I'm mostly concerned about the shooting. We actually got a ton of good looks in that Memphis game, but couldn't find the basket.

7 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

High usage players are going to have a lot of turnovers - Luka averaged 4.5 last year to Cade's 3.7 - so I expect that to be something we're going to have to accept.

That is true. But I'm not convinced Cade should be that type of high usage player. As much as I love a guy like Luka, his team is so dependent and as a product often restricted by his style of play.

I think in order for both Cade and the team as a whole to develop in a way that Cade becomes a real star in the league and the team legitimately contends for titles, I'd like Cade to be more like Steph or Tatum rather than Luka or LeBron. Luka and LeBron control and dictate the offense like 90% of the time. The ball always in their hands. Steph and Tatum could do that, have the talent to do that. But they play much more off the ball, and defenses can't focus on them all of the time, and for the entirety of each shot clock. I think Steph would have a significantly different career if he had played point all of the time.

Not only would that allow the entire team to get better offensively, but that wouldn't put such a huge burden of responsibility all on Cade. And consequently, it should in theory also cut down his turnovers as well.

Steph is actually a fantastic passer. He just hasn't needed to be a volume passer because he's the best shooter in the history of the game so he's been used more as a scorer than a primary facilitator.

I don't suggest Cade never have the ball in his hands. He'll still handle the ball plenty. Just less so than how he was used last season. Give him more opportunities to play off ball, split that responsibility with Ivey and Hayes. And allow that to let him focus more on his scoring.

I'm definitely a fan of a more dynamic offense that doesn't revolve around one guy doing everything. It's just too predictable come playoff time unless that player is a generational talent like Lebron. I see Cade as a more crafty player like Chris Paul. You want the ball in his hands to create for others but he's not the sole focus of your offense like Luka.

I'd love to see more movement, cutting, and passing in this offense rather than 4 guys standing around watching one guy play hero ball. Maybe Ivey can do some of that (we'll see), but in general we don't have the personnel for hero ball.

Last year we got crushed by teams that played tight coverage and aggressive perimeter defense. You beat that with movement, cutting, and screening off ball rather than trying to straight-line drive past defenders that are longer and more athletic.

Beating a dead horse, but sadly we won't get that with Casey at the helm.

I am pretty pessimistic about this season.   Be nice if the Pistons, and Cade, got off to a good start tonight.  I am little bit worried the Pistons might have had the #1 pick in a year when the obvious choice ends up not having as much upside as everybody thought.  

5 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

The defense and rebounding are just better with Duren in there. Love Stew, but he and Bojan need to be separated and paired with another big (Duren, Noel, or Bagley). 

I was pretty hopeful about Stewart developing a three point shot last year that would allow him to be a good starter.  If it happens, it happens.  But I think we are to the point where he is a better fit as an energy guy off the bench.