Hey Guitar Guys v2.0

Biff Mayhem

I know someone who's really good at guitar and he claims to have learned everything from an AC/DC tablature book.   I think what he's lacking is the background to be like "Ok, he's playing this scale in Em, If I move it to 5th fret it's Am, which will probably work with anything in C".   Doesn't know how to put the riffs he learned into the box patterns and generalize.

22 minutes ago, pfife said:

One song I'd throw out to consider learning in lessons is Free Fallin by Tom Petty.    What he does with the D-chord in that song  has persisted in my playing for over 20 years esp when you notice you can move the D-chord around.   My $.02!

Yes! Dsus. Plus moving that d root chord around gets especially cool when you drop d.

A couple others I remember also taking a lot from:

I Remember You by Skid Row 

similar, perhaps the inspiration for I remember You:   Over The Hills and Far Away by Zeppelin

Both are awesome uses of the G chord and G is really the best chord on the guitar 

27 minutes ago, pfife said:

Yep I think that's the name I've heard for it too lol I don't actually know what it's called.  Doing that or some variation of it in almost any major key sounds really great to these ol ears.

Asus is also a fun one....play a barre A cowboy chord and add the third fret on the b string. Sweet Emotion baby. That can be moved all over the fretboard too.

Then try playing a d/a to an a (A0D4G2b3 to barre A). That can move all over the fretboard too and requires a bit of precision to not slop.

D shape and subsequent D-Sus (thank you for putting a name to it for me!) instantly trigger pattern 4 in my head.   Then it's a matter of stringing together patterns.  Or working through CAGED.   That's why I think the box patterns and CAGED have been the most important things I've learned as a foundation.

Edited by pfife

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, pfife said:

Biff do those Greco customs have an ebony fretboard?   I love how they've got the diamond headstock thing too.  It's looking nice in there.

The high end customs do (the one in the middle). The others from the 70s and 80s (the other two black ones) have Brazilian Rosewood.

This product will darken your brown fretboards. I used it on the black les paul on the right above and it looks very ebonyish unless you're 6 inches away and then you can see some of the brown of the rosewood. The longer you leave it on, the darker it gets so I'm going to leave it on for 30 minutes at the next string change.

https://www.montysguitars.com/products/montys-montypresso-relic-wax

nice I thought from the picture that one had ebony as well and was surprised when you said it wasn't.    Do you think there's a difference in how they feel?  That's what I'm not sure about psychologically.   I sure do like it though.   I wouldn't say it's a must-have for me now in an axe but it definitely would be a weight on one side of a scale in making a decision.  

sucks that it's such an endangered wood.   I know gibson tried the richlite substitute and I don't personally know whether it's a suitable substitute but my local guitar guru/adviser said his opinion was to avoid it.  I think he looks at axes as an investment as well which I probably should but am more looking for something to play hard.   

I don't think there is much a difference in the feel IMO but I really don't pay attention. As an aesthetic guy, I like the darker wood. As to your local guitar guru, sounds like he's a cork sniffer. I buy guitars to play and, if I grow tired of them, I know I can sell them at a profit but that's not why I own them. In fact, the more beat up the better IMO.

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I don't think there is much a difference in the feel IMO but I really don't pay attention. As an aesthetic guy, I like the darker wood. As to your local guitar guru, sounds like he's a cork sniffer. I buy guitars to play and, if I grow tired of them, I know I can sell them at a profit but that's not why I own them. In fact, the more beat up the better IMO.

oh yeah he's definitely a high end axe kinda dude.  I'm pretty elitist with it myself but I think quite a bit of that is b/c I'm a failure when it comes to improving a lower end guitar.

16 minutes ago, pfife said:

oh yeah he's definitely a high end axe kinda dude.  I'm pretty elitist with it myself but I think quite a bit of that is b/c I'm a failure when it comes to improving a lower end guitar.

You just need a guy. I don't do many of my own mods...maybe the pegs but anything else is done through a local guy who has forgotten more about guitars than I'll ever know. I'll usually buy the harness, pickups etc and let him do what he does. Had him do a refret and it's absolutely beautiful. He doesn't judge or offer opinions unless I ask (antithesis of a cork sniffer). If you know what you like but don't trust yourself with a soldering iron, then find a guy like that!