Hey Guitar Guys v2.0

Biff Mayhem

On 2/23/2022 at 1:49 PM, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I have my first in-person guitar lesson tomorrow. I'm a little concerned since I told him I don't read music and just use tabs, and he wants me to learn to read music. With the prevalence of tabs, that feels unnecessary but I'll try to have an open mind.

So......guitaring?

On 8/10/2022 at 1:31 PM, Biff Mayhem said:

So......guitaring?

No real update to provide. I'm like the lessons well enough, but I'm not doing anything exciting. Just learning the strings and chords. July was a bit of a setback. I had COVID and then was travelling once I recovered. Not much practice time or lessons, so picking it back up after that I had some catching up to do.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

No real update to provide. I'm like the lessons well enough, but I'm not doing anything exciting. Just learning the strings and chords. July was a bit of a setback. I had COVID and then was travelling once I recovered. Not much practice time or lessons, so picking it back up after that I had some catching up to do.

I'm glad you're sticking with it. It's a long road but eventually you hit that "ah ha" moment. Then you'll have many more long roads that become easier to navigate as you go along and the "ah ha" moments will be more satisfying. I'm on the precipice of an "ah ha" moment....(I can feel it) and I've been playing since 1979.

• Like 1

I might have another favorite guitarist whose band/released music I hate but whose guitar playing I love.....  Trey is the first one..... the next one is...........

wait for it

Keith Urban

I think I'm going to be spending some time studying this dude's riffs.   Sick stuff.  I've been wanting to learn country lead guitar and this dude is a master.

Edited by pfife

• 2 weeks later...

that's a beauty!   Has a nice yellowing going on.  I've been on the notion lately that gretsch hollowbodies are what mixes better with my band so I've been stalking those!   But I've got GAS so I'll probably change my mind within the next couple weeks LOL

21 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

Biff, so you use Buyee? I have heard of problems with them and have a Zenmarket account, and check FromJapan too.

That one isn’t my cup of tea for several reasons, have been jonesing for a decent Edwards with flametop. 

I have ordered at least 6 guitars from Buyee and have had zero issues with the quality of the packing. The shipping cost is really high but I get that part of it.

• 1 month later...

Disclaimer...I am not a guitar guy. That said, I thought this was pretty cool.

My daughter has been making noise about wanting a guitar for quite some time. Tonight we were over at a family friend's house and "Uncle" Adam is the owner of eight guitars and had been discussing his most recent purchase and his need to get rid of a couple older ones. My daughter randomly came upstairs and started talking about her desire to get a guitar....then "Uncle" Adam appears from the back room with a guitar and offers it to her as her first....it was his first that he bought when he was 15 years old. Such a cool, cool moment. My nine-year old daughter was speechless, sat down and started her best strumming, then hugged her "Uncle"....amazing.

PXL_20221023_024729265.MP.jpg

PXL_20221023_024753986.jpg

• Like 6

On 10/21/2022 at 8:49 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

I was yesterday years old when I learned that SRV's Strat was owned by Christopher Cross (yes, of yacht rock fame) before Stevie owned it. This fun fact reminded me that Cross is actually an extremely talented guitarist.

I recently learned a few years ago that SRV played on Let’s Dance. Never knew that. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have to tell this story because I think some of you "musicians" will get a kick out of it.

First, I must disclose, I have the musical talent of a brick. But I tried (piano, guitar, drums) and it didn't matter. So be it.

I do have a few close buddies who play in bands and have done so for a long time. Enjoyed them around here when they do their thing - good for all involved.

The funny part is one of the drummers I know... I know 3 drummers, probably 6 guitar guys, a few singers, along with an organ and harmonica player (harmonica guy nails "what I love about you" by the Romantics) as did the rest. Dance floor full. Fun stuff.

Anyway, the one drummer guy was told at some point he was "only" a drummer and not a real musician. That never sat to well with him, so it is never allowed in the conversation. My best buddy in that conversation is also a drummer, and he's doesn't buy it either. Drummers matter IMO, and I have no agency to say that. A band without a drummer usually has canned noise or some form of metronome.  That's what the drums are for - drink your beer.  Giggle.

I've been lucky in a small little town like Cornhole to always have local bands who do a great job. Thank you!

I also think the musical talent is a gift. Some have it, some don't, and you can't teach it. For those who can - good for you, and thanks.

Of course, that's coming from a brick.

• Like 1

Drummers are musicians of course. There are jokes about all chairs in the band. Drummers do seem to have the most.

Q: Why did the drummer put his drumsticks on the dashboard?

A: So he could park in the handicap zone.

Q: How can you tell there's a lead singer at your door?

A: He can't find the key and doesn't know when to come in.

Q: How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

A: 10. One to change it and nine to say they could have done it better.

Definition of perfect pitch? You throw the accordion in the dumpster and it lands on the banjo.

Q: A skunk, a trombone player, an accordion player, and a euphonium player (did he ever make it here?) at a four way stop. Who has the right-of-way?

A: The skunk. He might have a gig.

Pianists are the best musicians imo.   Their instrument is percussive and melodic.  You have to be a really good at rhythm and melody to be good at it.   I'm a pretty decent guitarist but I know my rhythm is shit.   I tried to play drums for a while and it didn't click.  

• Like 2